What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Met52 for Root Aphid control

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Think its about time IC has a Met52 specific thread. This stuff has been highly recommended to battle root aphids. Its essentially a fungus that is either grown or placed on grains of rice. The rice gets mixed into the medium, ideally in the beginning of the cycle. Spores spread out from the rice, the rice decomposes and the spores hopefully colonize the medium. When an aphid comes into contact with the Met, it is infected and will then spread the Met to others, and then rot to death.
I have been using it this round on my flower and on my veg. My flower was hit with all sorts of chems and the Met, while still in veg, so i am not certain it is the Met that is dominating the aphids, but it is what i think is working. I have used all the chems in the past with limited control/success and the only difference in this grow is the Met. I also have white furry roots for the first time in six months.
This thread is to hear others experience. How/how much was applied, and what are your findings? Next round i will do some control plants with only met, and some with a met/chem combo and see the differences.
Root aphids can be discouraging, but keep hope alive because something is working over here.
Cheers

The Baphomet

Veteran
Met 52 works , It doesn't work well on already established plants . The trick to met52 is to start with fresh clones put into a medium pre -inoculated with met 52 .

My rooms have RA's. For years now. I believe they are brought in by ants, but can't be sure.

What I am sure of, is that I have RA's every run. I have been using Imidicloprid succesfully to keep the RA's at bay, they have not really affected my quality or yields, but I always find a couple towards the end of runs. The Imid, used in week one of flower seems to knock them down enough for the plants to thrive just fine.

I just bought a bunch of MET52 and I am anxious to see the results. I'll be adding it to the medium on my next runs and i hope to be rid of these evil little fuckers for good.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
I have been using Imidicloprid succesfully to keep the RA's at bay, they have not really affected my quality or yields, but I always find a couple towards the end of runs. The Imid, used in week one of flower seems to knock them down enough for the plants to thrive just fine.

I have had decent results with imid in the past. Never been able to get rid of them, or all the damage, but have been able to pull off decent harvests. I am hoping the MEt gives me at least as much control, or more, without the use of chemicals. Good luck with the MEt Puff, hope it works out for you.

I may have just screwed up some fresh clones. Since its so important to begin early and i never heard of anyone having an issue from using too much met, i went ahead and used about 10x the amount recommended, and did it in a clone in a keg cup. The Met is on a piece of rice and the rice always end up decomposing in a ball of white/green mold. It seems with all the rotting met, the coco is being overtaken by mold, and are showing signs of a fungus infection. I am bummed, i need these gals to survive.

FijiFlyin

I am using the Met52 as well, but only on vegging plants right now.. What i am most curious about is what exactly we can use in conjunction with the Met and not screw it up.. Like what pesticides and what not? It says on the packaging do not use any fungicides with it, but anything else?? Also, I think the met does a better job at what it's meant to do, with soil rather than coco.. Just my own observations!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
whats the application rate you guys are using? i heard only 2-3 pellets per 1 gallon of soil but that seems kind of low?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
FIJI My interpretation of the label is that most all pesticides can be used in conjunction with the met. Just dont use any fungicides as they will target the Met For me the hopeful thing about the stuff is that folks can stop using chemicals; maybe.

YES4 Application is somewhere between 2-6 grams per gallon of medium. Higher end for more 'at risk' plants. All my plants get at least 6 grams per gallon.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
There is a lot of buzz about a new liquid version of Met52. I spoke with the rep for the company that makes it, and he said it is only for foliar control of mites and thrips and maybe one other thing. He said its not for drenching. Bummer.

I am also interested in what other things can be used with MET52. I just ordered a bunch of the MET52 that you mix into the medium (rice stuff) and I use Eagle-20 (sprayed) for PM control and I'd like to know if the Eagle-20 has any affects on MET52's effectiveness.

Eagle-20 is a systemic, and is sprayed on, so doesn't enter the medium, so I would think the two could be used together.

I inquired, and it is apparently OK to use Eagle-20 and Floromite (sprayed) with MET52.

You just don't want to water in any kind of fungicide into the medium which I assume would kill of the bacteria in the MET52.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
I inquired, and it is apparently OK to use Eagle-20 and Floromite (sprayed) with MET52.

You just don't want to water in any kind of fungicide into the medium which I assume would kill of the bacteria in the MET52.

Yeah thats what i was guessing but thanks for looking into it for us all. Met is a fungus and a fungicide could definitely render it useless. Since it does not interact directly with the roots, instead is a cohabitant in the medium with the roots, a systemic foliar fed should not come into contact with the met. It seems like it is compatible with most everything except fungicides, from the research i have done.
Thanks again Puff for checking that out.

zor

anyone else have any luck with this? I just loaded up some test clones a week ago into 2 liter soda bottles of coco at the max recommended dose.

The clones are rooting well now, however, i have yet to see any fungus inside the clear containers. I've also seen a flyer try to escape out of one of the pots. And have seen some of the typical micro aphid damage in a couple of the pots. Maybe it needs more time to spread through the containers, but the jury is still out here...

The guy I talked with said he also used Spectracide, in liquid form. I bought a bottle of the powdered form, I still need to see if I can find the liquid form.

I'm also wondering if Imidicloprid can be used with MET52. My guess is it can, as it's not a fungicide.

I have been using the Imid with success. I still find evidence of RA's towards the very end of runs, but it's so late that it doesn't appear that quality or quantity are affected.

Not one to take chances, I plan to mix the MET52 into my medium when I pot up, but also hit everything with the Imid as well. I plan to rotate using Imid, Spectracide, and MET52 in veg. Hopefully this will allow me to run to the end without RA issues.

Right now I'm in the process of wiping out a 36 plant flowering room and saving the veg room which now only has 10 small plants, about a foot.

YES4 Application is somewhere between 2-6 grams per gallon of medium. Higher end for more 'at risk' plants. All my plants get at least 6 grams per gallon.

If I add 30 grams to a 5gallon air pot, how much rice would I be adding to the 30 grams?

Do I just mix that into the medium right from the get go?...or,..wet the medium first?....do it at transplant when they come from the 1 gallons?

I guess what I'm asking is this. I am keeping the 10 blue cheese that are in 1 gallons, they still look great, plants are about a foot. I have the met52 coming. I usually run 24 in veg and 24 in flower but flower is getting wiped out and I held off on planting the next wave of veg.

First I'm surrounding the house with spectracide, then getting rid of all flowering plants, running pyetherin foggers and then disinfecting the rooms. I'm only keeping the 10 in 1 gallon pots (ready for transplant)

so what would your protocol be for the met52 application?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Right now I'm in the process of wiping out a 36 plant flowering room and saving the veg room which now only has 10 small plants, about a foot.

Sorry to hear this. These guys are no fun, but can be controlled.

If I add 30 grams to a 5gallon air pot, how much rice would I be adding to the 30 grams?

Not sure i understand the question. If you are asking how many pieces of rice make up 30 grams, i have never counted. Use a scale a few times and then just eyeball it. I never weigh the met and always use more than suggested. The stuff is cheap relative to the worth of my garden.

Do I just mix that into the medium right from the get go?.
Yeah, the sooner you mix it in the better. I sometimes add it into my coco weeks before i use it, but usually just mix it in right before i transplant into the pot.
..or,..wet the medium first?....do it at transplant when they come from the 1 gallons?
I do it at any and all transplants. Not sure you mentioned your medium, but in coco i dont wet the medium because it is partially moist right out the bag.

I guess what I'm asking is this. I am keeping the 10 blue cheese that are in 1 gallons, they still look great, plants are about a foot. I have the met52 coming. I usually run 24 in veg and 24 in flower but flower is getting wiped out and I held off on planting the next wave of veg.

First I'm surrounding the house with spectracide, then getting rid of all flowering plants, running pyetherin foggers and then disinfecting the rooms. I'm only keeping the 10 in 1 gallon pots (ready for transplant)

so what would your protocol be for the met52 application?

Mix it in at any transplant, for a very long time. I find in coco transplanting is beneficial because it gives the plant new root growth and if the aphids are being controlled the roots can grow faster than the aphids can eat them. Good luck

Thanks a ton for the reply

As for the 30 grams,...thats 6 grams x 5 gallons and I noticed its applied by coating rice with it and adding the rice to the soil so I was wondering,...how much rice should I use? lol

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Thanks a ton for the reply

As for the 30 grams,...thats 6 grams x 5 gallons and I noticed its applied by coating rice with it and adding the rice to the soil so I was wondering,...how much rice should I use? lol

It already is on the rice when you buy it. 30 grams of rice is the measurement.

It already is on the rice when you buy it. 30 grams of rice is the measurement.

Ahhhhhhh, lol. Thanks for the clarification :)

Wingdings- Rogue has it for

10kg-$590
or
1kg- $132

OR there's a place on ebay that another member linked me to (doesn't show up if u just search met52) that has 1 lb bags for $25. remember, iy's about an ounce per 5 gallons of medium so the lb should be about 15-16 plants worth. I'll go get that link, be right back

Latest posts

Latest posts