What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Industrial hemp high in CBD - why not used for medical CBD strains?

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
The high cbd strains on the market are crossed with industrial hemp. That's how they worked it into the lines. Fact. I've talked to breeders in the know.

oldchuck

Veteran
That's very interesting, Herm, useful information. I've been wondering about those TLC kits. Does it seem pretty accurate? Can a technically challenged old guy figure out how to use it?

One other question, do you happen to know the variety of hemp you extracted.

The low yield doesn't bother me. All you need is more raw material.

herm@n

Does it seem pretty accurate?
For qualitative tests it is OK.
I attach an image showing a "lane" of my testplate for the industrial hemp RSO.
One can easily see the various "blobs" and their relative size. From this lane you see that CBD is the major cannabinoid, that the THC spot is about half the size of the CBD one, there is CBG and CBC and there are some acids.
Should you want a more precise evaluation of the ratio's you can feed this image into analysis software like justquantify free which can produce a nice graphical representation.

For quantitative tests it becomes a different game.
There are many possible error sources in the process.
For example, the attached lane was obtained from a 20 mg sample of RSO.
When you ever tried to get 20 mg of tar in an Eppendorf tube you know how difficult that is.
Moreover, I used a jeweler scale with a resolution of 1 mg. So when it indicates 20 mg it can be anything between 19.6 and 20.4 mg. That translates into a possible error in the end result of five times this range. There are more of these potential errors along the way, so in the end I am satisfied when I have the first digit of a two-digit number correct.

Can a technically challenged old guy figure out how to use it?
I would think so.
Montana Biotech placed some clips on youtube, showing their entire process.
I used a different testkit but the technique is similar.

One other question, do you happen to know the variety of hemp you extracted.
No, I don't.
I did not bother to test the dried buds either, I jumped straight into the RSO extraction.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Industrial_hemp.jpg
    Industrial_hemp.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 13

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Trucker, I think ditchweed is VERY valuable. But, obviously, not for getting high. I suspect the ditchweed gene pool is a lost treasure that needs to be recovered. Fortunately, Cannabis, is a remarkable survivor plant. It adapts to almost anything. Ditchweed is feral which means it escaped from cultivation and has learned to get along without human intervention. The genes are all still there. I think it is mostly descended from the legendary Kentucky hemp of the 19th century which was improved through the 1920s and spread all over the midwest.

I want seeds. Send me seeds and lets see if we can revive Kentucky hemp and improve it. I want to make a strain good for fiber uses, food uses, and high CBD for medicinal uses.

Seeds, I want ditchweed seeds. Screw THC. You can get that anywhere.
Agree 101%!

I see potential in hemp only because of its hardiness, adaptation to European/US climate, pest resistance, different 'chemical space' (other secondary cannabinoids and terpenes than drug type cannabis) and different genetic background and heterogeneity maybe adding to the heterosis effect when attempting a true breeding crosses, and it also has 'sentimental' values (biodiversity).

But for CBD it'll be easier with a charas or hashish cultivar which often have CBD individuals. Look at The Real Seed Company! Great unworked and hardy landraces.

Have a look at THIS THREAD, post #113 and following, for infos on DIY TLC ;) .

oldchuck

Veteran
I hear you on the CBD, OO. She is an elusive bitch. I'll need to be able to do testing before I can get anywhere with Miss CBD. I ordered one of those MYDx gadgets but I won't be getting it until Christmas.

Today I am attending a day long workshop on oilseeds which will include hemp. I will be asking our University Ag people about getting legal seed through them thanks to the new Farm Bill rules.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
You could also do a Beam test for THC or the Duquenois-Negm test for CBD. Basically, they show just presence or absence of the two...
KLICK ME

Have fun on your workshop!

Only Ornamental

Veteran
If you smoked good weed after you take that stuff will you get high?
Could be used as an "antidote" for one toke over the line.
The strange thing about CBD is that it only annihilates THC when taken before (or simultaneously) but not afterwards. Don't ask me why, I couldn't find any scientific answer to that question. I have some suspicions though...
But you could take it to win a smoking bet :sasmokin: or simply to increase the non-recreational effects without getting flattened.

olen1009

Yes exactly.
Industrial hemp doesent produce that many cannabinoids in its trichromes. While some plants can have decent frost coverage the cannabinoid content is very low and the "high cbd" is only in comparison to the thc content high...
The overall cannabinoid content is around 1-5% with cbd being the most common one.

You're ignoring the fact that, while THC is concentrated in the trichromes, which are concentrated in the flowers/buds, the other cannabinoids are found throughout the plant. Hence, it becomes worthwhile to extract CBD's from the leaves and outer skin ("bark", if you will) of industrial hemp. Obviously, the roots, inner pith of the stalks (k/a "hurds"), seeds and flowers/buds are nut used in the extraction process.

If you think about this...it's perfect: The flowers in industrial hemp are allowed to produce seed, which is used for the production of hemp seed oil & hemp seed flour or protein powder, The stalks produce fiber, hurds which can be used in construction. The leaves and remainder from processing the stalks produce the CBD extract. All that's left are seed hulls, the roots, and the remainder of the extraction process...all of which can be composted or burned for power. All also, BTW, carbon-neutral.

What more can you ask?

olen1009

Juicing hemp

Juicing hemp

Grind and mix to your desired effect.

I'm wondering how hemp would work for people who juice.

While there are people who extol the properties of raw hemp juice, it's not medication, per se. First of all, I'm not even sure if the juicer extracts the cannabinoids in the plant material at all. And, even if it does, they are in an organic acid form which is not used by the body. That's why hemp extracts/oils have to be heated to about 300 degrees (Fahrenheit), or raw material smoked or baked, in order for the cannabinoids to be available to the body.

olen1009

Not that Simple!!!

Not that Simple!!!

I'm off in the mountains near the East coast and very much looking forward to having some nearby lab access. Soon I hope. Hemp is now legal here and I fully intend to grow it. I'm working on building a seed stock right now. It is very easy to get a hemp grower license here. You go down to the Agriculture department, tell them where you will be growing, allow them to inspect and test if they want to, and pay $25. That's it. Minimal bureaucratic BS.

I ran across this article yesterday:

http://tokesignals.com/wild-hemp-grows-everywhere-in-nebraska-photos/

Some great pictures. The writer, Steve Elliott, says:

Sorry dude (or "dudess")...If only it were really that easy. You're missing something somewhere! Contrary to what you think, under US Federal law, hemp is not legal anywhere in the US. And even in the states where recreational pot is legal, you're supposed to grow it indoors, not in your garden. Makes sense, in terms of keeping it away from kids. And in those states, plus your own, you can bet they're still working out the details of how to allow industrial hemp to be grown when Federal law prohibits it.

Read the law of your state thoroughly and you will almost certainly find some small print that reflects that Federal "trumps" state law and you will need Uncle Sam's approval, waiver or oversight, in some way. In other words, it's not "a done deal" or there would be dozens, if not hundreds, of farmers growing hemp.

Remember that, even though you can't get high from industrial hemp (in the usual "trippy" sense), the Feds haven't recognized that yet. Also, they haven't recognized that, if you were allowed to grow industrial hemp, but not "pot"...and tried to hide your pot crop within your hemp crop...you'd end up with something shitty for all purposes, fiber & smoking, because of cross-pollination.

The point is that, though over a dozen states have eased industrial hemp regulations, you can be damned sure the feds will burn down or poison your fields if you try to grow a big field of industrial hemp. The same thing would happen in a medical marijuana state, because they all require indoor growing. As I said, it's a problem for the authorities even in Colorado & Washington state...though one single, solitary farmer CO has recently grown and harvested a crop of industrial hemp (55 acres)...the first such crop in the US since 1957.

Now, this fellow just has to find someone who can process it into fiber! You have to wonder how many hemp "decorticating" machines, that strip out the inner hurds or other worthless parts of the plant from the fiber, are still in existence (or working condition) after not having had any use for over 50 years. It would be like expecting a '57 Chevy to be operable after not being started since it was manufactured!

Only Ornamental

Veteran
While there are people who extol the properties of raw hemp juice, it's not medication, per se. First of all, I'm not even sure if the juicer extracts the cannabinoids in the plant material at all. And, even if it does, they are in an organic acid form which is not used by the body. That's why hemp extracts/oils have to be heated to about 300 degrees (Fahrenheit), or raw material smoked or baked, in order for the cannabinoids to be available to the body.
THCA and CBDA are bioavailable and have pharmacological effects ;) . These effects are not entirely identical with the decarboxylated products, though. Like THCA which is for instance not psychoactive whereas CBDA still has good activities on the immune system...

oldchuck

Veteran
Read the law of your state thoroughly and you will almost certainly find some small print that reflects that Federal "trumps" state law and you will need Uncle Sam's approval, waiver or oversight, in some way. In other words, it's not "a done deal" or there would be dozens, if not hundreds, of farmers growing hemp.

Now, this fellow just has to find someone who can process it into fiber! You have to wonder how many hemp "decorticating" machines, that strip out the inner hurds or other worthless parts of the plant from the fiber, are still in existence (or working condition) after not having had any use for over 50 years. It would be like expecting a '57 Chevy to be operable after not being started since it was manufactured!

Sorry, dude, you're wrong about my state anyway.

I have read our state hemp law and it is one of the most straightforward pieces of legislation I have ever read. It is short and simple and makes no reference to the feds whatever. You pay $25 and you get a permit subject to possible sampling and THC levels to the EU standard of .03% THC. It was the first state law that did not require federal permission.

I talked to the state agriculture department guy in charge of the hemp program and he says the department has no plans to test. They don't have staff or facilities to do it. It would not surprise me, however, if they immediately shipped all application information over to the state police for their amusement. I suspect the info might also be available to the public. For those reasons I decided to keep quiet about my hemp growing for a while. I really don't want the local high school kids raiding my little field thinking they would try out some free weed.

You make a valid point about infrastructure. For fiber it must be built pretty much from scratch. However, I read recently one of the new Cannabis companies, Hemp, Inc., I think, has bought a $10 million secondhand decorticator for a million and a half. They are going to set it up in North Carolina or somewhere down south.

Seeds are a different story. I could sell hemp seed tomorrow to a small oil seed pressing company not far from me. They are excited to get into the business and the infrastructure is already in place. At that same oil seed conference I talked to the state ag guy a Canadian hemp farmer gave a talk about his 400 acre annual hemp crop. He said he has a good market for seed but no market for the fiber. Infrastructure required.

The times are changing fast.

hom

Veteran
Here in Ireland we have been making a juice from Hemp buds grown locally under government licence. We are only allowed to market it as a therapeutic nutritional supplement, nothing relating to health or medicinal powers are allowed. The strain is actually a sativa from finland I believe, called finola. I think sam the skunkman had a hand in its creation. Although the CBD and THC are in acid form it still has great healing properties. Its juiced in the fields and frozen as a raw food. We have only been juicing for 2 years on a small scale, the rest of the crop goes to construction products. Over the last 2 years the testimonials we have got from the consumers have been amazing. It definitely aids in inflammation and seems to give older and sick people a vitality boost and easier mobility. It also tastes really nice. All cannabis has these healing and beneficial compounds and it's just a pleasure to be able to work in this field (no pun intended...) legally and with pride in our favourite plant. Get growing folks.....then get helping....

oldchuck

Veteran
@hom, I am growing some Finola. It is a speedy variety for us northerners. Do you by any chance know what percentage CBD it contains? I have not found a complete analysis. Does this legal hemp juice you have list its contents?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Seeded or not? Just ask Jace at Finola he has both analysis I think. It is re-EU listed now.
-SamS

oldchuck

Veteran
I'll look again, Sam, but I don't recall a complete analysis available on their web pages. I did see some elaboration on the Finola/EU Hemp commission dust up over THC though.

Latest posts

Latest posts