What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Misinformation' from Fox News helps shape Trump's views

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CNN's Brian Stelter says: Misinformation' from Fox News helps shape Trump's views

Suzanne SmalleyReporter
August 31, 2020, 4:52 PM MDT

CNN senior media correspondent Brian Stelter.
A sizable portion of the “misinformation” released by the Trump White House originates from stories that first appear on Fox News, CNN media critic Brian Stelter told Yahoo News on Monday.

“The Fox-Trump feedback loop is unlike anything we’ve seen in media before,” Stelter told the “Skullduggery” podcast in an interview. “There’s never been anything like this. ... He gets swamped by misinformation.”

While critics have decried Fox News as taking marching orders from the White House, it’s actually the network that tells Trump what to say, according to Stelter.

“This is crucial, to understand that a lot of what [Trump] is saying and claiming is coming straight from ‘Fox & Friends’ and is coming straight from the Tucker Carlson show. It’s not coming from the newscasts on Fox, it’s coming from the hard-right talk shows,” Stelter said. “I’ve had producers at the network confide in me and say, ‘We began to program our show knowing that Trump was watching. We used to pick our stories based on knowing he’s watching.’”

Stelter’s book “Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth” hit bookstores last week. Stelter said he decided to write the book after being flooded with phone calls from Fox News sources who are dismayed by the network’s relationship with the president and how it has affected coverage.

“A lot of people who confided in me said, ‘I was proud to work at a conservative-leaning channel — there needs to be a lot of room in the marketplace for this,’ and there should be,” Stelter said. “But as one anchor [at Fox] said, ‘We’re not right-leaning anymore. We have fallen over.’”

Stelter said his reporting suggests that if Roger Ailes were still running the network, Fox News would not be as beholden to the president as it has become. Ailes, who died in 2017, built Fox News into a television juggernaut but resigned in 2016 after numerous allegations of sexual harassment and assault from Fox staffers surfaced. Stelter called the allegations of abuse against Ailes “disgusting” but said only someone with Ailes’s power could have saved the network from going off the rails in a Trump presidency.

“Ailes, if he had still been at the network and if he were still alive, he would have stood up to Trump — at least some of the time,” Stelter said. “He did lead the network with an iron first, everybody knew what he wanted, and when he left there was a leadership vacuum and Trump filled it.”

The age of misinformation continues.....sadly.

44>45

iTarzan

Brian Stelter is an idiot. He isn't a journalist he is a left wing activist. He will be stunned and crying again come election night when Trump wins in a landslide.

Lefties like to claim that Trump doesn't know anything and that they're more informed than him. As if he's a below average pleb like they are, and gets all his info from cable TV. As if Trump isn't really POTUS with government intelligence agencies in his grasp. The left is out of touch with reality big time and OP is a fine example.

This is CNN. LOL
EA4-z4sXUAAS5p_.png

Mr. J

We have enough of these, don't need any more. Can't wait for November so we can start the last four years all over again.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Lefties like to claim that Trump doesn't know anything and that they're more informed than him. As if he's a below average pleb like they are, and gets all his info from cable TV. As if Trump isn't really POTUS with government intelligence agencies in his grasp. The left is out of touch with reality big time and OP is a fine example.

If you refuse the information the agencies don't help you.

Cool Moe

Veteran
Arid, looks like you struck a nerve with the lowest of the low-hanging fruit. Seems like Stelter hit the nail on the head. I haven't read the book. Does he mention how Fox programming and opinions are created in another country?

Amynamous

Funny how all of the other presidents cared about national security and attended the daily intelligence briefings. Not the moron in chief. I’ve read that he’s averaging one a month. How many times has he been called a moron or incompetent by his friends and allies!
The moron has access to 16 different intelligence agencies, and he gets his “facts” from Fox, facebook and twitter. That makes him a moron.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Funny how all of the other presidents cared about national security and attended the daily intelligence briefings. Not the moron in chief. I’ve read that he’s averaging one a month. How many times has he been called a moron or incompetent by his friends and allies!
The moron has access to 16 different intelligence agencies, and he gets his “facts” from Fox, facebook and twitter. That makes him a moron.

I'd say that makes him a populist who says what ever he thinks is best for him at the moment.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Trump threads seem to breed around here - before you know it we will have dozens - and since this is primarily a cannabis orientated site - I am having to curtail the preponderance of such threads on the POTUS -

- now I'm going to have to merge or close one or two -

- Hmm - where to start?

* we only have 4 active Trump threads currently - if any more pop up - I will have to play 'whack-a-mole' - lol

Hey Moderators...

Another Trump thread???
Gonna lock this one too???
OR
Just merge it into an existing TRUMP thread?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trump threads seem to breed around here - before you know it we will have dozens - and since this is primarily a cannabis orientated site - I am having to curtail the preponderance of such threads on the POTUS -

- Hmm - where to start?

* we only have 4 active Trump threads currently - if any more pop up - I will have to play 'whack-a-mole' - lol

tumblr_m6snw9ZaDj1rxlmf0o1_400.gif

St. Phatty

well, there's a GREAT AI project for some young programmer.

just write a program that always seeks information saying what a good thing it is.

name it the Trump OS.

sell 50 million copies to Turd supporters.

they will feel like they're doing an on-line chat with Trump himself.

then just add a Trump voice and some quality CGI.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

That's the reason I started thread, showing NEWS and it's effect vs. Trump Countdown Thread.
Wishing the person occupying the WH could have taken his job seriously, but seeing how it's a faded reality star, he seeks info, although most times skewed from Fox news.

Gypsy, please feel free to merge into another thread. It'll make some folks happy.

Amynamous

- Hmm - where to start?

While we’re on the subject of unnecessary excessive threads, how about those new threads for people want to sell weed, seeds, oils, etc. That dude is trying to get to his 50 posts in record time, hitting all of the US states and territories. :thank you:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd say that makes him a populist who says what ever he thinks is best for him at the moment.

Yep, DJT just makes up stuff to hear himself being intelligent (??). His base loves it, even though most of his claims, birthers bs are BASELESS.