What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Things Falling Apart: BAD SIGNS

armedoldhippy

Veteran
About as far as Trump tells them they should but finally some limits are starting to show.
yeah, i read yesterday where some of His Anointed are sucking hind tit. his Governor pick in Georgia is running THIRTY-TWO points behind in polls now...:pointlaug

Reactions: Gry

Brother Nature

....... because he is a dangerously unstable Ahole with no sense of judgement and would only lose the 2024 election to a Democrat....... in addition to being bad for the State of North Carolina. :tiphat:

I can say this 'cause I voted for him in 2020 (felt sorry for him in a wheelchair). :bigeye:
So he'd be classed as a 'destructive disabled'? Here is an instructional clip on how to deal with 'destructive disabled'.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
yeah, i read yesterday where some of His Anointed are sucking hind tit. his Governor pick in Georgia is running THIRTY-TWO points behind in polls now...:pointlaug
Yeah and a more recent bit of news is Trump has now withdrawn his support for his pick, says that he's not doing enough to show he wants it. Of course we know the real reason is that even Trump can see this guy doesn't stand a chance and doesn't want his reputation of picking candidates to be dragged too far down although really none of his picks for various candidates haven't been doing as good as they should if he had the influence he thinks he has.

HempKat

Veteran
i'm not positive that my wife would do it again. :biggrin: one of my boys was two weeks late by his doctors estimate, and he was a couple ounces shy of eleven lbs. (doc said he prob lost a half lb because of placental degradation) :thinking:the other one was born on his due date exactly, and he was a couple of ounces over eleven lbs. :whistling: when i saw his weight on the scale, i blurted out "damn! he weighs almost as much as the world-record smallmouth bass!" and the nurse slapped me, lol...:spanky:
Wow 11lbs +/- a few ounces is still a big baby, no wonder you have doubts about your wife doing it again. 😜

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i understand that some of the villages are supplied by boat/plane or a fuel truck, and are, compared to here, pretty damn remote. i get that, but $10 a gallon delivery fee? wow...

moose eater

i understand that some of the villages are supplied by boat/plane or a fuel truck, and are, compared to here, pretty damn remote. i get that, but $10 a gallon delivery fee? wow...
The NW Coastal villages often have no roads that lead to anyplace with services, and fuel is brought in by barge until the sea ice prevents that delivery mode, after which the fuel is flown in by aircraft, providing there's a large enough airstrip for a fuel plane.

One of the long-time fuel delivery companies that fly fuel to outlying areas typically used a 4-engine, nearly-antique aircraft that can carry (I think) up to 4,000 US gallons at a time, and they also purchased an old ag truck (crop duster) and converted it to a 2-chambered fuel pane that can carry up to 1,000 US gallons, with (if I recall correctly) 600 gallons in one pod, and 400 gallons in the other.

The larger 4-engine aircraft often flies over our house, rattling the metal on the roof as it passes over, obviously struggling to gain altitude. It's been known to have an engine malfunction on occasion while in mid-flight. As it passes over our place, my wife often theatrically cries out, "PUL UP!!! PULL UP!!"

Seeing as what's occurred with our now-adult children after their departures, I would've thought the more appropriate sentiment to yell in theatrical tone would've been, "PUL OUT!! PULL OUT!!"

Last edited:

St. Phatty

The NW Coastal villages often have no roads that lead to anyplace with services, and fuel is brought in by barge until the sea ice prevents that delivery mode, after which the fuel is flown in by aircraft, providing there's a large enough airstrip for a fuel plane.

A perfect application for Nuclear power.

If you have granite, you have Uranium.

Then you just need to plan ahead for nuclear waste storage. A long term proposition.

The people pulling Gold out of blacksands - tell them to save their blacksands, because there's a lot more Uranium there than Gold.

Plus you can use bags of steel cans as radiation shields.

and the Bright side, from a sci-fi point of view - the bugs that crawl into the steel cans will be exposed to radiation, which may alter their DNA enough to produce a new species !

OK time to go check on those Cannabis seeds I planted 4 days ago.

DAMN, they didn't sprout yet !

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"a perfect application for nuclear power" LOL! doubt seriously that anyone who doesn't want to allow their state to be trashed by gold miners (see "Pebble Mine proposal/Bristol Bay) will go for a nuclear power plant either. the money behind it has been exposed as saying that it will "probably be in operation for around 160 years versus the 20 years they first said, and be up to NINE times larger..." Army Corps of Engineers say "they don't see any potential harm being done to the environment as it is proposed". but, when have they EVER been on the right side of ANYTHING? "mo' money, mo' money." want a fucking disaster? call the ACE, they'll see it through if you got the bucks...

Cannavore

Veteran
FTIhl1QUAAALJhk.jpeg

moose eater

"a perfect application for nuclear power" LOL! doubt seriously that anyone who doesn't want to allow their state to be trashed by gold miners (see "Pebble Mine proposal/Bristol Bay) will go for a nuclear power plant either. the money behind it has been exposed as saying that it will "probably be in operation for around 160 years versus the 20 years they first said, and be up to NINE times larger..." Army Corps of Engineers say "they don't see any potential harm being done to the environment as it is proposed". but, when have they EVER been on the right side of ANYTHING? "mo' money, mo' money." want a fucking disaster? call the ACE, they'll see it through if you got the bucks...
The military/DoD up here has been planning and recently announcing, a mini/micro-nuclear reactor at Eielson Air Force Base.

But some tech I mentioned recently in another thread, specifically smaller hydrogen generators. which I saw drawings of in an article some years back, from Japan, where they appeared to be using the things to run whole apartment complexes.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
...... but think how many of those maternal deaths could have been prevented, if only they had chosen to have an abortion. :dunno::whistling:
or not gotten pregnant to begin with. it would be interesting to know how many of the maternal deaths were women that had not been trying to get pregnant, could not afford birth control, etc...

St. Phatty

The military/DoD up here has been planning and recently announcing, a mini/micro-nuclear reactor at Eielson Air Force Base.

But some tech I mentioned recently in another thread, specifically smaller hydrogen generators. which I saw drawings of in an article some years back, from Japan, where they appeared to be using the things to run whole apartment complexes.

If you are interested in learning more about nuclear science, I recommend the HBO 5 part series "Chernobyl". The Jared Harris character explains 'reactivity' in as qualitative terms as possible.

Also, Russian nuclear scientist Mikhail Malko's paper about Chernobyl

There was a natural nuclear reactor in Gabon Africa, where uranium metal deposits collected, sort of like placer gold. Then when it rained, the rain (hydrogen & oxygen) mixed with the silicon & oxygen in the sand, to slow down the neutrons, enough to cause the Uranium foil to excite its neighbors.

It would heat up, evaporate the water, and then sit there until it rained again.

When the Uranium fissions naturally as part of its radioactive decay, the neutrons have a velocity of about 2 Million Electron Volts, AKA 20,000 kilometers per second.

The Uranium atom itself takes up a space of about 0.2 nanometers. So the neutron only has about 10e-17 seconds to interact with any given Uranium atom.

By slowing down the neutron from 2 MeV to 0.1 eV or slower - one of the purposes of the Graphite in a nuclear reactor - the chances of the neutron causing an induced Decay reaction increases by a factor of about 1000. And becomes a near certainty.

Besides the process of refining Uranium (not that hard), there is the Singular Caveat - every single material that comes in contact with the activated Uranium becomes radioactive, and has to be sequestered forever, basically. Sort of like a cemetery.

So the reactor itself can fit on a table top, but the perpetual storage area might take up 5 acres, AND needs to be protected from flooding, fire, earthquakes, mudslides, everything but a direct hit by an asteroid.

That is where the USA approach to nuclear totally sucks. Childish in-ability to deal with serious by-products.

I was just looking at a bunch of job descriptions, for the Hanford Vitrification plant. They are still treating wastes created 50 years ago.

Meanwhile, the nuclear plant workers that I know tell me, you don't want to live near Hanford. it's like Chernobyl, not safe. Mainly because radionuclides can get airborne and the people nearby can breathe them while they're outdoors playing golf or sitting in their backyard. i.e. a nuclide that emits alpha particles.

Which sounds fancy, but you can find minor amounts of that same category of nuclides in tobacco. Plants act as natural collectors for airborne crap.

The on-site students in one of the nuclear science classes I audit, go to tobacco stores to do one of their homework assignments involving radiation detectors.

Attachments

• rinard_Xsection2b2.jpg
    rinard_Xsection2b2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
St. Phatty- RE "treating wastes created fifty years ago" "childish inability to deal with serious by-products". truer words never before typed out. we've got a few numbskull that want to load rockets up with our nuclear waste & shoot it into the sun. that -would- probably work, but...what will we be dealing with if just ONE of those rockets did NOT escape gravity & disintegrated in mid-air or crashed back to earth? those imbeciles make their plans in la-la land where nothing ever goes wrong, and deny any culpability when they DO go wrong... "hey, that aint MY dog! i just petted it as it walked by..."

Reactions: Gry

HempKat

Veteran
If you are interested in learning more about nuclear science, I recommend the HBO 5 part series "Chernobyl". The Jared Harris character explains 'reactivity' in as qualitative terms as possible.

Also, Russian nuclear scientist Mikhail Malko's paper about Chernobyl

There was a natural nuclear reactor in Gabon Africa, where uranium metal deposits collected, sort of like placer gold. Then when it rained, the rain (hydrogen & oxygen) mixed with the silicon & oxygen in the sand, to slow down the neutrons, enough to cause the Uranium foil to excite its neighbors.

It would heat up, evaporate the water, and then sit there until it rained again.

When the Uranium fissions naturally as part of its radioactive decay, the neutrons have a velocity of about 2 Million Electron Volts, AKA 20,000 kilometers per second.

The Uranium atom itself takes up a space of about 0.2 nanometers. So the neutron only has about 10e-17 seconds to interact with any given Uranium atom.

By slowing down the neutron from 2 MeV to 0.1 eV or slower - one of the purposes of the Graphite in a nuclear reactor - the chances of the neutron causing an induced Decay reaction increases by a factor of about 1000. And becomes a near certainty.

Besides the process of refining Uranium (not that hard), there is the Singular Caveat - every single material that comes in contact with the activated Uranium becomes radioactive, and has to be sequestered forever, basically. Sort of like a cemetery.

So the reactor itself can fit on a table top, but the perpetual storage area might take up 5 acres, AND needs to be protected from flooding, fire, earthquakes, mudslides, everything but a direct hit by an asteroid.

That is where the USA approach to nuclear totally sucks. Childish in-ability to deal with serious by-products.

I was just looking at a bunch of job descriptions, for the Hanford Vitrification plant. They are still treating wastes created 50 years ago.

Meanwhile, the nuclear plant workers that I know tell me, you don't want to live near Hanford. it's like Chernobyl, not safe. Mainly because radionuclides can get airborne and the people nearby can breathe them while they're outdoors playing golf or sitting in their backyard. i.e. a nuclide that emits alpha particles.

Which sounds fancy, but you can find minor amounts of that same category of nuclides in tobacco. Plants act as natural collectors for airborne crap.

The on-site students in one of the nuclear science classes I audit, go to tobacco stores to do one of their homework assignments involving radiation detectors.
There are newer ways of going about nuclear energy such as Thorium base reactors that produce much less waste and the waste that is produced is much less radioactive and has a shorter half life. Nuclear energy is still a viable solution for clean energy but only if it's based on the newer technologies. Sticking with the old school nuclear reactors still present all the problems that most people worry about when considering nuclear energy. Besides it seems to me that a nuclear reactors for powering remote villages in Alaska is probably overkill for the amount of energy that would be needed. Surely there are better options with other green technologies to provide for small remote villages. The fuel such places need are probably more for things like vehicles used to move things around within the area of the village and also things like snowmobiles, side by sides, chainsaws, emergency generators etc.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All life on earth has an expiration date. Billions of years into the future all life on this planet will cease to exist when our Sun dies. In the grand scheme of things, humans are dumbasses.