What's new

Malawi x PCK, Bangi Haze. Outdoor.

vcasqui

So, as I do every year since 2016, I'm starting a thread with my small ACE grow. I usually start giving a lot of info and such, and then I end up not finishing it. This year I will just share some notes and remarks, and throw a couple pics here and there; hopefully this time the grow report will reach the harvest.

First, an intro:

- I'm growing 5x MalawixPCK (MPCK from now on) and 1xBangi Haze (BH from now on). I plan to keep the BH and 4xMPCK. Hopefully I will be able to keep the 5th one too, we'll see.

- I've grown Bangi Haze before, and I know it can endure the weather I have here (the past year I did an endurance test on one BH and she started to rot around the first half of december, which is mind blowing to me. She was totally rotten by late december/first week of Jan. It was a seeded female tho, so there is that).

- I've also grown 2 PCKxKali China(PCKC) and 2 Malawis (in 2016): The PCKC was not really able to endure my climate conditions and started to rot before she was ready. It had botrytis in 70-80% of the main heads when harvested, and I was able to harvest ~50-60% of it succesfully (mainly mid-to-lower buds, that were clean and in perfect condition). Regarding the Malawis, I had 2 phenos: One shorter with dense buds, and another with bigger internodal distance and fluffier buds (still somewhat dense tho), both with very big trychomes; The short one was something like the PCKC's, it caught botrytis and ~50% of the plant was harvested. The taller pheno was pretty much clean and ~80-90% of it was harvested.

So, why did I go for this strain (MPCK)? Well, first of all: I like to try new things, I believe that's the best way of learning. Second, I bought a pack of Kholm to try in the future (hopefully indoors, If I get my setup ready some day…) and the BH seed, so I just went ahead and picked the freebie seeds that caught my eye the most, and those were the MPCK seeds.

What are my goals/expectations? To harvest as late as the 10th of November, depending on weather and health of the plants. To keep learning about nutrition and plant care. And finally, to keep exploring different hybrids to, someday, make my own (these days I enjoy more growing than smoking; I would like to make my own crosses with landrace strains, just for my entertainment).

That said, let's go with the notes:
27/May -> All the plants were put into 1l pots except the MPCK#5 that was put into a yogurt cup.
28/May-> All the plants sprouted.
29/May -> The plants are now under the sun. From now on they will spend all the time outside; day and night, no matter the weather. I wrapped the pots in white paper so they don't get too hot.
30/May -> All the plants are doing good in general. The BH however is showing some kind of mutation or something. The first pair of leaves is weird: One of it's leaves is normal but the other one is very small. I'll call it deformation. The temps are really hot, with low RH and a touch of wind.
1/June -> Tonight it's been raining. Not for much time but the droplets were big, and so I found the MPCK#1 bent to the ground; this was no problem since she was standing almost straight in a matter of a few hours, with the help of a bottle cap. The day was cloudy and temps were colder than the past days, RH a bit higher and still a touch of wind.

That's about it fo the moment.
Have a Good day :)

Edit: Pics are from today 1/June. The plants are 5 days old since they sprouuted.

Attachments

• side_general_view_all.jpg
    side_general_view_all.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 21
  • top_general_view_all.jpg
    top_general_view_all.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 21
  • top_view_BH.jpg
    top_view_BH.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi,
has happened to him the same, my Bangi Haze has shown strange shapes in his leaves, like yours. Right now with 4 weeks from seed, it has 3 branches in the first node. Attached photos

vcasqui

Good luck! Are the seeds fems?

Hey Timbo, thanks for stopping by.

Yup, they all were feminized seeds. I wanted to keep experimenting with regular ones but sadly this year I was not able to. I also wanted to grow AutoZam, but I also could not do it; I'm pretty limited resource-wise this year :(

Hi,
has happened to him the same, my Bangi Haze has shown strange shapes in his leaves, like yours. Right now with 4 weeks from seed, it has 3 branches in the first node. Attached photos

Hello Armentario. Sadly the picture is not showing. I guess it is because you don't have enough posts to attach files?

In 2016 I had 3 feminized BH's. #2 was a mutant a did not survive, #1 had weirdly shaped leafs too, and #3 was normal. I had to get rid of #1 because someone did something wrong to her when she was almost ready to harvest, it was a normal plant by then in terms of odor and overall quality; but #3 was the best plant I've even grown, extremely oily and smelly, to the point that I almost wanted to puke everytime I got real close to her hehe. The smell was not bad tho, it was Delicious, just very very potent.

Last year I had 3 standard BH, which were more vigorous than the fem versión. So I guess that the weird leaves and such have something to do with the fem version only; maybe because they are very inbreed? I have no knowledge, but if I have to grow some mutants in order to have a plant similar to my fem BH#3 from 2016, I really don't care. That's completely fine with me. That baby was fire.

If you want to see how those BH were, I have 3 pics I took back then. Here is the album:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=67979

PD: 100% germination rate since 2016 with ACE genetics btw. Still not dissapointing :)

Hi vcasqui,
Sorry for not being able to attach the photos, I am still very new around here.
Thank you very much for your answer, I will continue with the little girl until she wants to :watchplant:. Anyway I will follow your advice and I will get a pack of regulars, because I want to try this powerful genetics. Also, the climate in my area is quite humid and rainy in the final months.
I have other little girls that are going great. and germination was 100%. I love ACE for its good taste and for offering really original things.

P.D: I hope I can upload photos soon.

vcasqui

No problem Armentario. Glad to see you are willing to give the regular version a try. If your climate is rough (like mine) I think you will be pleased with Bangi Haze; it's my favourite genetics so far :) Just to clarify tho, my most potent BH was from a fem pack. The regular ones were bigger and way more vigorous, very sturdy too. But keep in mind that In these years I have only grown 7 BH, so my experience is very limited :)

I think you need 50 posts to be able to upload pics, so if you keep posting you will soon be able to. Maybe even open you own thread? I'm sure you Will get Good advice from the more experienced dudes around here hehe.

:tiphat:

vcasqui

In the next update I Will start to add info about the weather taken from a weather station close to where I live; but since the weather station is on top of a mountain I feel like I need to add some background:

I live in a little town, North-east of Spain, 43ºN. The town is located in a valley, with 2 rivers crossing it, at 24m above sea level and around 12km away from it (we have something called "Ría" here, that I don't know how to translate to English. It is basically the sea penetrating deep into the coast and meeting the end of a river, which creates a very rich water in terms of food for the fish and such). The climate is mainly Atlantic (oceanic), with the summers being close to the mediterranian ones. Average temps in the winter are around 10ºC and 21ºC in the summer. Average annual RH is around 80%. The wind is constant all year long, and sometimes it can be quite strong.

The weather station is located near my town, but as I said it is on a mountain, at 268m above sea level. So the weather there is slightly different to my town's. The data I Will show in the updates is not 100% accurate compared to where I live, but it is close enough. The main differences are the following:

- Max and avg temps are just a touch higher in my town.
- Min and avg RH is slightly lower in my town.

The other parameters Will be pretty much on point, based on my observations (Min temp, max RH, wind velocity and hours of sunlight).

So now when you see the updates, keep in mind what I just said.

See you in a couple of days :)
:tiphat:

vcasqui

Update. Pics were taken 06/June, at 10 days old since sprout.

02/June -> Due to the wind, MPCK#1 was having a little bit of trouble standing straight once the support cap was removed, so I added a little bit more soil to cover the lower part of the stem; hopefully that will help her not to bend. The leaves of MPCK#1 and #5 seem to be bigger with a more pronounced serration on the borders than #2, #3 and #4. MPCK#5 appears to be of a paler green than the others; not sure if it is because she is in the yogurt cup or what. BH is still growing with deformed leaves, but otherwise she seems to be fine; I have trust in her.
The high clouds alow for a very nice temperature for the plants in general, without stealing too much sun-time from them.

03/June -> First feeding was administrated. It consisted of around 1-1'5 ml/l of Grotek's Cal-Max (I don't have a reliable tool to measure ATM, so I'm measuring by eye using the bottle's cap).
Very cloudy day. Almost no direct sunlight.
Temp: 19ºC max, 13ºC min. 16ºC avg.
RH: 99% max, 79% min. 91% avg.
Direct sunlight: 0'5h.
Wind: 20 km/h max. 6 km/h avg.

04/June -> The plants are growing nicely even tho the temperature is not ideal. I think that the wind is helping to make the stems stronger.
No watering was needed.
Cloudy day until 14:30, then it started to get clear.
Temp: 20ºC max, 11ºC min. 15ºC avg.
RH: 99% max, 58% min. 77% avg.
Direct sunlight: 6'8h.
Wind: 31'8 km/h max. 10'3 km/h avg.

05/June -> Today I saw a little bug in the MPCK#1; It was very small and of brown color, with an elongated type of body. Since it was only one and it was only the MCPK#1 that had it, I will not worry too much. But I saw them other seasons in my plants and they are the kind of bugs that I don't like to have around. I don't plan on using any type of pesticide, natural or quimical, so I hope that they don't spread.
No watering was needed today, but the outermost layer of soil is starting to get dry.
The sky was clear.
Temp: 23'7ºC max, 9ºC min. 16ºC avg (19ºC avg).
RH: 95% max, 46% min. 72% avg.
Direct sunlight: 12'1h.
Wind: 27 km/h max. 7'1 km/h avg.

06/June -> MPCK#1 stem is thicker than the others, followed by MPCK#5 & #3; #4 is the one with the thinnest stem. Based on their morphology so far I will say that MPCK#1 & #5 are the more malawi influenced, #3 is something in between, and #2 & #4 are more to the PCK side (I know it's something silly to say at this stage, specially since I didn't grow this strain ever. But I like to make these kind of comments in my notes to see later how wrong I was :p ).
BH leaves are still developing a little bit weirdly, but it's less "extreme" than at the beginning. The "original mutant" leaf is kind of yellow; otherwise she seems to be pretty ok.
I think they will be ready to transplant in 5 to 7 days (maybe 10). I have to decide if I want to transplant the MPCK#5 at the same time as the others or do it sooner.
No watering today either. With the current average RH and temps, as well as the night/morning dew, it looks like the soil is taking a little time to get dry enough to water again. I will do it tomorrow morning most likely.
Very cloudy sky almost all day long.
Temp: 19'7ºC max, 12'1ºC min. 15'4ºC avg (17'1ºC avg).
RH: 93% max, 62% min. 79% avg.
Direct sunlight: 2'1h.
Wind: 19'7 km/h max. 4'8 km/h avg.

Attachments

• MPCK#3_top_view.jpg
    MPCK#3_top_view.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#3_side_view.jpg
    MPCK#3_side_view.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 18
  • MPCK#5_top_view.jpg
    MPCK#5_top_view.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
  • MPCK#5_side_view.jpg
    MPCK#5_side_view.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 19
  • MPCK#1_top_view.jpg
    MPCK#1_top_view.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 17
  • MPCK#1_side_view.jpg
    MPCK#1_side_view.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BH_top_view.jpg
    BH_top_view.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 18
  • BH_side_view.jpg
    BH_side_view.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • all_top_view.jpg
    all_top_view.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 19
  • all_side_view.jpg
    all_side_view.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

vcasqui

I forgot to mention last time; RH and temperature parameters are taken at 1'5m above the ground by the weather station. I noticed that the station offers another data point: Average temperature at 0'1m above the ground, so from 05/june onwards I've also included it in parenthesis at the end of the temp row.

Attachments

• MPCK#4_top_view.jpg
    MPCK#4_top_view.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#4_side_view.jpg
    MPCK#4_side_view.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 21
  • MPCK#2_top_view.jpg
    MPCK#2_top_view.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#2_side_view.jpg
    MPCK#2_side_view.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi vcasqui,

Thanks for starting a new thread for this outdoor season :)

Glad to hear you have had perfect germination rates and that the Bangi Haze you harvested in 2016 was the most potent plant you have grown :yes:
Bangi Haze is highly inbred and it can show some leaf deformities in very early seedling stage, but it grows later without problems or deformities.

Pure Malawi is a bit on the limit for your latitude and climate, Malawi x PCK is certainly more suitable for your outdoor conditions, it finishes outdoors 2-3 weeks earlier than pure Malawi and PCK adds great mold and pests resistance.

Best wishes!

vcasqui

Very beautiful ladies.

Hey, thanks Armentario. I think so too :tongue:

I'll try to keep them pretty as long as I can :headbange

Hi vcasqui,

Thanks for starting a new thread for this outdoor season :)

Glad to hear you have had perfect germination rates and that the Bangi Haze you harvested in 2016 was the most potent plant you have grown :yes:
Bangi Haze is highly inbred and it can show some leaf deformities in very early seedling stage, but it grows later without problems or deformities.

Pure Malawi is a bit on the limit for your latitude and climate, Malawi x PCK is certainly more suitable for your outdoor conditions, it finishes outdoors 2-3 weeks earlier than pure Malawi and PCK adds great mold and pests resistance.

Best wishes!

Thanks for your words dubi. I'll try to reach the end of the grow journal this season hehe.

Yep, I did read you before talking about how inbred the BH is. The 3 standard plants I had last year did not show any sign of deformed leaves or anything tho; in fact they were quite vigorous, with thin and flexible branches but a nice thick stem. One of them (my favourite one) had a similar structure to one of the pics of the Nepal Annapurna in the ACE website (the one I Will attach here).

You must be right about the Malawi. Probably we don't have enough sun intensity for the correct flower maturation of a pure African strain where I live.

But about the PCK, does it really add that much mold resistance? Other than the fact that it can avoid some rain by flowering faster.

:wave:

Attachments

• nepal_annapurna4.jpg
    nepal_annapurna4.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi vcasqui,

yes, PCK is one of the few hashplant indicas i know of that improves mold resistances in its hybrids, completely the opposite than using an Afghani.

A Bangi Haze with such lanky structure should lean strongly to the Congolese sativa genetics.

vcasqui

Thanks for the answer dubi.

I actually never noticed that you offer the PCK thru the website. I thought that you used it for crosses and was not available for sale. I guess I usually don't pay much attention to pure indicas hehe, so I wrongly assumed that the strain had those chunky, very close and dense buds of other indicas, but it turns out she has a more "open" structure. So I guess it makes sense (the mold thing). Beautiful strain BTW.

Sorry if I'm annoying, but are there any other factors that make a plant resistant to mold other than the structure? Mid/long internodal distance and maybe thinner leaves towards the flowering stage for better airflow. Airy-leaning buds that are not too clustered, so they don't get completely drenched and can "dry" faster. (Maybe even thin/flexible branches, that are agitated heavily by the wind so they can get rid of excess of water when it rains, if that makes any sense).

I was wondering if some strains generate any kind of response to mold. Because I had the feeling (even tho I'm not really sure) that last year's BH used to "dry" her own buds in the parts where she first developed some, making the advance of it very slow. She reached december with almost no mold damage, which is incredible to me (She was seeded, so I don't know if that makes any difference in her response to mold).

:thank you:

Last edited:

vcasqui

Update. Pics taken 11/June, at 15 days since sprout.

07/June -> Plants watered in the morning. 1-1'5ml/L Cal-Max + 1 drop of Supervit/5L.
Temp: 19'5ºC - 10'1ºC / 14'4ºC avg. (17ºC)
RH: 92% - 43% / 67% avg.
DS: 9'0h.
Wind: 35'5 kmh max / 9'4 kmh avg.

08/June -> The texture of the leaves was more rough in the morning, not as soft as in the past; they got "normal" over the day. Not sure if this was caused by the night temps plus the spikes of wind, or it was related to yesterday's feeding; I'll guess the first.
No watering needed.
Temp: 20'6ºC - 9ºC / 14'2ºC avg. (16'1ºC)
RH: 90% - 50% / 71% avg.
DS: 9'5h.
Wind: 33'6 kmh max / 9'9 kmh avg.

09/June -> I placed 3 of the plants in another wood "platform" to give them more space.
I checked the roots on one of them (MPCK#4), and it looks like it's going ok; they were very white and pretty thick. Not too "abundant" compared to last year I think, but this year I'm not adding any extra "root booster". Last year I also used to place them inside the house at night to avoid big temperature drops.
No watering needed. I will do it tomorrow morning.
Temp: 20'9ºC - 8'8ºC / 14'5ºC avg. (16'6ºC)
RH: 93% - 49% / 71% avg.
DS: 10'9h.
Wind: 32'8 kmh max / 9'5 kmh avg.

10/June -> MPCK#5 could be transplanted already I think. But I think I will wait until I decide to transplant the others as well. The problem is that it looks like from tomorrow onwards it's going to start raining, so keeping the soil dry will be rough.
I was not really sure about watering today; I ended up giving a normal watering to MPCK#5 and a very light watering to the others. Only water was used.
Since tonight might rain, I'll place the plants inside the house.
Temp: 23'5ºC - 8'7ºC / 15'9ºC avg. (19'3ºC)
RH: 92% - 45% / 68% avg.
DS: 12'0h.
Wind: 31'6 kmh max / 8'7 kmh avg.

11/June -> All the plants are looking nice overall; a litlle more green than I would like probably (due to the extra N in the CalMax fertilizer I guess), and all of them have some bug bites (except, guess who, the Bangi Haze hehe).
BH is the most smelly of them, followed closely by MPCK#3; The others do not smell that much. When the leaves are rubbed BH smells really tasty, kind of fruity, something like gummy bears I would say, to later fade into a more fresh, minty/herbaceus smell.
They spent the day inside the house under some random LED study lamp to avoid getting wet by the rain. They will also spend the night inside the house. I will transplant tomorrow or the day after.
I did not water them today.
Temp: 16'5ºC - 12'3ºC / 13'9ºC avg. (17'2ºC)
RH: 100% - 65% / 88% avg.
DS: 3'1h.
Wind: 51'3 kmh max / 14'5 kmh avg.
Rain: 15'8L/m2 (24h).

Attachments

• MPCK#5_top.jpg
    MPCK#5_top.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 21
  • MPCK#4_top.jpg
    MPCK#4_top.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#3_top.jpg
    MPCK#3_top.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#2_top.jpg
    MPCK#2_top.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#1_top.jpg
    MPCK#1_top.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BH_top.jpg
    BH_top.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 16
  • all_height_overview.jpg
    all_height_overview.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19
  • alll_LED_study_lamp.jpg
    alll_LED_study_lamp.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 21

vcasqui

Transplant update. Pics taken 12/June.

I transplanted all the girls yesterday, 12/June, at 16 days old since sprout.

It went well, but was not as smooth as planned. I reckon that the soil should had been dryer. The pots did not help much either since they are made out of hard plastic, so pulling the plants out was not the easiest. I also positioned the plants badly into the new pots; they were supposed to face a certain direction to make the LST easier, but I completely forgot it.

I ended up mixing two types of soil for the new pots: the one that I always use with another that was pretty cheap and had a good amount of coco I think, and was a little bit lighter (2 pics are attached because my phone is not the best at focusing).

The plants had decent root systems. I'm not used to that kind of roots tho; with the pots I normally use they tend to be a little bit thinner but more abundant (more like the MPCK#5, in the yogurt cup).

Also, I decided to keep the BH, MPCK#1, #3 and #4; I'll get rid of MPCK#2 and #5 (I'll try to get them another home). It was not an easy decision, and I had my doubts about keeping the BH because I don't know how much she will like the LST I plan on doing, but since she is the only one I have, I'll keep it. MPCK#5 was discarded because she is similar to MPCK#1, but I like #1 more. MPCK#2 was discarded because she is similar to #4, but has a thinner stem and I think I need tough stems to make sure that they will respond well to the LST. I'll keep the discarded ones around for a couple of days in case I change my mind.

I gave each plant 150ml of nutrient solution. 1-1'5ml/L Cal-Max + 1 drop of Supervit/5L. Then they were placed outside, and since It's raining they Will get plenty of water (I just hope that the rain don't wash away too much nutrients from the soil, because fertilizer is kinda expensive :O ).

Pd: I have a new wallpaper, that I'm posting just to complete the 10 attachment limit lol.

Attachments

• wallpaper.jpg
    wallpaper.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 17
  • all_final.jpg
    all_final.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 21
  • all_newshoes_top.jpg
    all_newshoes_top.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 19
  • MPCK#5_roots(yogurt_cup).jpg
    MPCK#5_roots(yogurt_cup).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
  • MPCK#4_roots.jpg
    MPCK#4_roots.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 17
  • MPCK#3_roots.jpg
    MPCK#3_roots.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 20
  • MPCK#1_roots.jpg
    MPCK#1_roots.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 19
  • BH_roots.jpg
    BH_roots.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 18
  • soil comparison2.jpg
    soil comparison2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 17
  • soil_comparison1.jpg
    soil_comparison1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi vcasqui,

Nice to see the babies healthy and happy. We have been offering Pakistan Chitral Kush in pure form (both regular and feminized) for 10-15 years.

2 main factors influence in the mold resistance: genetics and flowering structures.
Sativa strains with genetics from more tropical latitudes have great mold resistance, strains from temperate latitudes with a dry climate during flowering (Afghanistan, Lebanon, ...) are more sensible against botrytis and fungus in flowering.

Leafy plants of dense compact Afghanica flowering structures are also more prone to mold, lankier and more branched sativa strains with more open and well aerated flowering structures deal better with rains and mold during flowering. Heavily seeded plants are more prone to mold in flowering than same plant unseeded or just slightly seeded. Hope it helps.

vcasqui

Hi vcasqui,

Nice to see the babies healthy and happy. We have been offering Pakistan Chitral Kush in pure form (both regular and feminized) for 10-15 years.

2 main factors influence in the mold resistance: genetics and flowering structures.
Sativa strains with genetics from more tropical latitudes have great mold resistance, strains from temperate latitudes with a dry climate during flowering (Afghanistan, Lebanon, ...) are more sensible against botrytis and fungus in flowering.

Leafy plants of dense compact Afghanica flowering structures are also more prone to mold, lankier and more branched sativa strains with more open and well aerated flowering structures deal better with rains and mold during flowering. Heavily seeded plants are more prone to mold in flowering than same plant unseeded or just slightly seeded. Hope it helps.

Thanks dubi, it helped :)

vcasqui

Update. Pics taken 16/June, at 20 days since sprout.

After the transplant the plants are doing fine. They needed a couple of days to recuperate, but now the sun is starting to shine again and they are taking off.

MPCK#3 is the one with the loudest smell. BH is second, and she is showing some purpling in the new top growth. MPCK#1 doesn't smell much at all, but she is the one with the most different leaf shape. MPCK#4 also doesn't smell, but she is the one with the most "vigorous" lower growth.

I still have the two "discarded" plants, but they are gonna go son, so I won't be posting pics of them.

Attachments

• new_growth_MPCK#4.jpg
    new_growth_MPCK#4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 21
  • new_growth_MPCK#3.jpg
    new_growth_MPCK#3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 23
  • new_growth_MPCK#1.jpg
    new_growth_MPCK#1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 21
  • new_growth_BH.jpg
    new_growth_BH.jpg