What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potency issue and question

icmag57

I take two kinds of B/P meds (am & pm) to stay wnl. I normally medicate with cannabis in the a.m. by adding tincture to my coffee (x3) and I feel mellow and quite content.

Today, has been a week since I started curing my recent harvest of Superb OG from Heavyweight. I flipped the contents of my CVault, and locked the lid back down, but not before removing a few a few nugs for a taste test. After three (3) hits my toes began to tingle, so I checked my B/P. My systolic averaged 160 in both arms, so my wife made me sit down.

My question is this...Has anyone ever experienced a different high from the same sample, by changing the sample's properties? i.e. Flowers vs Tincture. This Superb OG is too strong for me to smoke. Perhaps, tincture would be different. Opinions anyone???

Thanks

soil margin

Veteran
You said 3 hits was too much, maybe just try one small hit?

To try and answer your question, eating 1 gram of your superb og for example will definitely produce a much different effect than smoking 1 gram of your superb og.

When you ingest cannabis it gets processed by the liver which transforms the ordinary delta-9 THC to 11-hydroxy THC, which is a much more potent psychoactive form. This is why you hear stories about people 'overdosing' on edibles when that doesn't really happen with a bong or a joint.

Cannabis is known to typically be pretty effective in lowering blood pressure, so if you had a BP increase after smoking your bud, it would seem more likely that it was caused by an ancillary effect. Meaning for example maybe you got so high so quickly that it caused some anxiety, and the anxiety could then lead to a rapid bp increase. Under normal conditions even a high dose of potent cannabis shouldn't be causing a significant bp rise.

icmag57

Thanks for responding. I was aware of the different absorption tracts and synthesis, as well as the sublingual method. Sublingual has hardly any effect for me, plus it is pretty harsh for about 30sec with Everclear. I'm personally a fave of tincture, but now have the opportunity to compare the results. I'm currently tincturing with Nirvana's Papaya which doesn't hit me like that, with the increased BP and such. Perhaps, my anxiety did cause the issue. Gonna decarb some and see. Papaya was a good smoke too, but no side effects like this.

WelderDan

Veteran
Are you saying that you are using cannabis to control hypertension?

As you have noticed cannabis can indeed raise your blood pressure too. It can cause your BP to swing both ways. Different strains can raise or lower it, and alcohol intake mixed with cannabis can make it drop enough for you to get a whitey.

I have hypertension, controlled pretty well with medication. And I have to take the "smoke a little and see" approach. I never know how it will hit me, especially if I am smoking stuff from other people. Sometimes it will push my BP up 10 points, sometimes it will drop enough for me to get light headed. Add alcohol and I might just do a face plant.

icmag57

So will decarbing the Superb and turning into tincture change my symptoms you think??? The stuff is truly Superb as a flower. Just have the paddles standing-by...post-rx for sure.

Cannabinoids have a very limited solubility in water,
no matter how much cannabis you put in there and how strong that is, you will only get so many milligrams of cannabinoids per liter.

The solubility of THCA is much higher than that of THC, so there is relatively a lot more of it as well as other acidic cannabinoids like CBGA and THVA.
That makes cannabis tea or coffee a medicine with unique properties;
Unheated Cannabis sativa extracts and its major compound THC-acid have potential immuno-modulating properties not mediated by CB1 and CB2 receptor coupled pathways.

Despite the -theoretically- limited potency of the tea people that use it as administration form need significantly less cannabis than with any other method.

WelderDan

Veteran
So will decarbing the Superb and turning into tincture change my symptoms you think??? The stuff is truly Superb as a flower. Just have the paddles standing-by...post-rx for sure.

I think that using cannabis to control your BP is stupid due to it's unpredictability and difficulty in controlling the dose.

Not to mention the constant monitoring and "adjustments" required to maintain a steady BP.

Long term hypertension kills. It weakens your arteries, leading to aneurysms and stroke, as well as destroying your kidneys.

Cannabis is but one tool in a big box of tools. It's not a cure-all for every malady that comes along, and treating it like it is can be a dangerous thing.

See a doctor, get on meds that control your BP and smoke for the joy of it.

Or not, it's your kidneys. If you don't care about kidney failure, knock yourself out.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I have high BP controlled with two meds..

I have high BP controlled with two meds..

I struggled with 180+ Blood Pressure for two years before I could get it under control. I needed to go to a Cardiologist who was able to help.

130/80 when I take my medicine. (Scary otherwise)

Canabis has no effect on my BP :party: Let your doctors deal with it

icmag57

You're missing the point entirely. I'm controlling my BP with rx meds already. My question is...would decarbing the Supreme OG and using it as a tincture, rather than smoking it, change its properties to where it doesn't adversely impact my BP?

It seems tolerance is the issue here, as stated before, it's best just to take one small hit, using a small one hitter can help with this. You can also play around with temp on a vaporizer to achieve varying effects. Oral use(edible or tincture) will give you a different effect, but with low tolerance, you could end up in an hours long experience that is too strong.

Galaxy420

You're missing the point entirely. I'm controlling my BP with rx meds already. My question is...would decarbing the Supreme OG and using it as a tincture, rather than smoking it, change its properties to where it doesn't adversely impact my BP?

decarbing will make it more strong but will have a longer onset than smoking does. your body may have time to acclimate/ ( better benefit) to the onset of effects if they are introduced slowly... really though you will only know if you try but the not decarboxlate tincture was not as strong because of that

You shouldn't decarb it if you are gonna use it in your coffee.
The properties would change because the cannabinoids change; more THCA and less THC.

Cannabis rich in terpenes reduces Blood Pressure;
Hypotensive Activity of Terpenes

Oral use(edible or tincture) will give you a different effect, but with low tolerance, you could end up in an hours long experience that is too strong.

Not if you use it in coffee or tea, you would have to drink gallons.

icmag57

You most certainly do have to decarb to make tincture. Otherwise, all you have is THCA. I use approx .5ml per cup, and keep it in an Infinity dropper. I think I may have mixed them both together, and my BP reacted. Gonna try farming a high CDB strain after this Northern Lights seedling bears fruit. I'm just not tolerant of the high THC strains I suppose.

Latest posts

Latest posts