What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Effects of smoking powdery mildewed buds?

Wonderon

I would like to know the symptoms that doing so can cause. Seems a few months ago I got some bud that was infested with it. I didn't realize it at first but started noticing a yellowish powder falling from the broken up buds. I stopped smoking from the stash and Iso'd the rest, but I'd say I smoked damn near a 1/2 an O first. :fsu:

Well shortly after, maybe a few weeks I have developed a pain in the center of my chest and sometimes to the left or right side of my chest as well, and pretty much daily get some abdominal pains. The pain in my chest seems to come and go and if I exert myself doing normal things like walking alot or running it kicks in. I did notice I get cold sweats on occasion and seem to be spitting up more then usual phlem. The pain seems to be enhanced by certain gassy foods, and eased up a bit after a few good burps. Now as far as smoking, when i try to it cause the chest pain to get bad like a pressure in my chest so basically I've been smokeless for 2 months :(. I thought the symptoms were stress related, going through alot at the time but still persist after all this time. I have been to the doctors and had 3 chest x rays all within a 3 week period, first 2 found nothing and after the 3rd I was told my lung were hazey and given a z-pak as I was told it was beginnings of pneumonia. I did have cold like symptoms in my chest at the time as well but since the meds they stopped. Still getting chest pains and the stomach pains though. After some research online my symptoms seem to sound like farmers lung so I am a bit worried. Would like to have some more testing done but kind of insurance less so hard to make it happen. Anyone know any info about this? Going to the docs again real soon and would like to have some basic info. Do my symptoms sound like it could be caused by the mildew. Any treatments for this type of ailment? Thanks for the help.

Edit: just adding, I am younger in my twenties and was a fairly heathy person. I had no allergies prior to this crap. I have also noticed my sinuses have been wacked lately as well. Only able to breath through one nasal passage.

Last edited:

Wooden Eye

Im just coughed my guts out on some PM crud.Headaches and chest pains.Its Not good to harm your body.
Like the rust in the wheat, Once the PM starts it time to Get All You Can Take.

vta

Veteran
You need to tell your DR. that you smoked something that was molded.

W

Weedman Herb

WORD^^^You need to tell the doctors why you think you're sick

WORD^^^You need to tell the doctors why you think you're sick

"Real soon" better be Tomorrow. I don't know wonderon ... If not I'll think you're bullshitting us for some reason. Only a fool would let these symptoms persist for 2+ months and not be aggressively seeking treatment. Only a quack would let you continue to walk around with chest and abdominal pains from an unidentified source. BTW Typing stuff in at Web MD is not aggressively seeking medical treatment.

Last edited:

Wonderon

No bullshit man, I am just asking if what I have could be what I think. I have been to the docs over 3 times, been on antibiotics. In fact I have over 4.5k of medical bills accumulated from this. I plan to go back to the doctors in the next week. I wasn't just letting it go, like I said i have been to the doctors 3 times, had 3 x rays on my chest. They thought it was pneumonia which is why I got the z pak. Like I said I have no insurance so was hoping it would go away, especially after all the bills and still no help. Maybe the best thing to do is like you said to go back to the docs and tell him I may of smoked some mold, which I previously did not do. Thanks for the help all. I'll let you know what I come up with. If nothing else I just hope this shit is curable, wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Later

Last edited:
W

Weedman Herb

I didn't want to be harsh but sometimes it takes a person being mean to get through to someone. This isn't something to play with ... It is my understanding that moldy or mildewed weed can only hurt those sensitive/allergic to molds and mildew ... Many who are still purchasing their weed from Improper Handlers, growing OD or running dirty Indoor grows are smoking Mad mold and mildew as we speak and will not know it.

Romalin

you on the west coast? there has been some bad weather in cali lately and we all have been experiencing more phlegm than usual. pretty bad actually. maybe thats the cause?

Romalin

Edit: just adding, I am younger in my twenties and was a fairly heathy person. I had no allergies prior to this crap. I have also noticed my sinuses have been wacked lately as well. Only able to breath through one nasal passage.[/QUOTE]

i have these sinus problems as well... im putting money on the weather.

Wonderon

Not taking you as being harsh, sometimes that is what someones need though so not taking it personal. If I had not been to the doctors already then I would agree that I would have to be crazy lol. Been there done that you know. I don't think I would be sensitive to it except it was a high stress point in my life (personal reasons), maybe it just caught me at the right time when I was susceptible. Not a west coaster, in fact on the other coast so not sure if that could be part of it. Also I'm not sure if all my symptoms are related, but those are all my symptoms that I experiencing. Not really looking for a miracle cure here either just wondering if I am alone or if anyone has had this problem and what the outcome was. As for the moldy shit, times were hard so I got what I could, wish I hadn't now. Been paying for it for these 2 months. Gonna go back to the docs like i said and just be blunt with him, maybe he can point me in the right direction to get better...Lesson learned for me, just hope its reversible. Maybe this is not the problem at all, but something for sure is.

Last edited:

SuperToker

You can get a serious lung infection, people have died from smoking moldy/fungus filled buds before, and many more have been hospitalized with severe lung infections.

M

MEDUSA

Holy shit! I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms. I too smoked some moldy shit recently. I'm in the Northeast, and we have had really bad mold problems due to all the year end rain. I was between harvests, and a friend had some "purple shit". I bought a half O, smoked a few bowls, and was like..."WTF"? Shit was nasty ass, outdoor, no trichs BS homegrown taste. I looked at under a magnifying glass, and the "purple", turned out to be mold!

Now, I am having chest pains that come and go. On both sides of my chest. I was thinking it could be because I have been running 5-6 miles a night, for the past few months to lose a few pounds. But this shit comes and goes. Usually when I'm just chillin' on the couch. Damn! I gotta go see my doc. I'm making an appointment tomorrow morning. This shit has got me worried.

MED/USA

Wonderon

So what is the normal treatment for this kind of thing if any. Or is it something that may not be curable? I've been on an antibiotic and an anti inflammatory and still the problem persist. I feel ya medusa I'm getting worried myself. I mean shit hopefully I don't die cause I smoked some shitty bud. The way my luck has been going I guess its the way things go. Gonna try for an appointment tomorrow as well.

SB7

Anti-Biotics will only help if you have a secondary bacterial infection .
Anti-inflammatory drugs typically suppress the immune response and should be used sparing !
It sounds like you'd need anti fungal drugs, but of course that's up to your MD.
This is not to be taken lightly, look up mucormycosis , for an example of what a fungal infection ( as opposed to colonization) from a few inhaled spores can do you at the wrong time. The treatment involves spinal injections !

Tell your MD that you smoked mold. Be honest.

Wonderon

Can't imagine that being what I have but I guess you never know. That sounds awful, and not quite the symptoms I am experiencing. I don't have aids, and never had a transplant so can't imagine my immune being that low, I guess only a doctor would know for sure. Thanks for the info.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hi Wonderon,

you really need to talk about it to your doctor, the sooner the better..
this story will keep me away from moldy buds, for sure and for ever ....
The best for you Wonderon and Medusa, hope you both get better !

++

bong_chat

Before I say anything, I want to preface this by saying I was an EMT for quite a few years before my spinal issues struck me down. (Can't lift anymore, so I went into a field where the things I work on don't scream when I drop them). So I do have a medical background to work with. And if I come off sounding a bit harsh, don't take it personally. It's my field experience talking.

You did the one thing that drives me batshit about bonehead patients. The number one stupidest thing people do all the time. ALLWAYS GIVE A CLEAR, CONCISE, AND 100% ACCURATE HISTORY!!! Just with what you said without knowing the bud situation, I would treat you as some kind of cardiac event, or possibly TB or other type of pulminary event. People seem to think that we care what they do or don't do. We really don't. You can present in the ER with a crack pipe welded to your lips, and a baseball bat up your ass, and we won't care. Guaranteed someone in the ER has seen worse.

In your case, you left out the single most important clue the doctor needs to make a correct diagnosis. Hell he/she probably didn't order the test you need to dx your case. That is a boneheaded mistake. That chest xray won't do shit for you. You need a specific sputum culture to be ordered at the very least. Not telling your doctor this is playing with fire. If you smoked mold or fungas, your body could be setting up a dangerous and potentially life threatening infection. And if it is, you're on the clock my friend. There is a window of treatment time you need to be in. But there's a plus side. If you have an infection, and don't get the help you need, you'll at least be able to write your own eulogy. Well, while you can still breathe and before the sepsis sets in anyway.

So I'm going to be as frank with you as I was with any of my patients. Don't be a dumbshit. Go in, get seen, tell them EVERYTHING! The doc won't tell the cops. Doctor patient confidentiality extends to everyone who works in the medical profession, so no one is going to tell anyone. You're not going to shock anyone there. They're not going to make fun of you. Believe me, there are far more interesting cases that come through the doors to make fun of. If the doc gives you shit, see another one. Doctors work for you, not the other way around. You can hire and fire them as you see fit. If you don't get yourself seen, and something bad is building up in your body, you can and probably will die.

And if it isn't as serious as it could be, great. Isn't it worth knowing that you'll be fine? I know in my case, if I were you I would be scared shitless until I knew. And if I sound harsh, it's because I care. I'm being nice right now, if I were face to face with you, I would be tearing you a new one.

If you're scared now and go to get checked because of it...GOOD. If you go into the hospital simply because I pissed you off and you want to come back here and tell that bong chat asshole that he's full of shit and you're fine...GREAT! Hate me, call me an asshole, I really don't care, I've been called worse by my own family. I care that you're still here to call me names. Either way, get your ass to the doc asap. The medical bills suck, but at least you'll be around to pay them.

Wonderon

Damn man, that hit me hard. I guess my dumbass should of given up all the facts I knew. I can go to walk in care tomorrow, or I could go to the er and get billed another 4 grand tonight...Hmmm hard call. Can you give me an idea of what the treatment might entail if it comes back positive on the test? Thanks for the eye opener, I needed it bad. I appreciate you taking the time.

bong_chat

Ok, and that is exactly why I never treated anyone before my morning coffee. Didn't mean the name calling. But the point was the same. But honestly, alot of people don't give full histories. Either because of fear of getting caught, or embarrassent, or just stubborness. I just try to really impress on people just how bad things can get, especially when their symptoms may not LOOK like much. I've just seen too many people start assuming room temperature (ART) over things that are preventable.

To answer your question, there's several different treatments available. They do have to be tailored to whatever specific infection you may have...IF you have one. Most treatments do involve an IV or needles of some type. The spinal injection mentioned earlier I've never heard of. BUT I'm also not a doctor, so it may very well exist. But I'm of the thought that they would probably try an inhalant first.

Unless you start having serious issues tonight, you'd probably be ok waiting until tomorrow. But if you feel like you need to go in, you're probably right. You know your body better than any doctor. And if you feel like you need to go, then listen to your instincts. Remember, pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong. If the pain gets severe, something is really wrong. Listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs. If you get short of breath while at rest though, go in. Just be sure to pay attention to yourself.

In all likelyhood, you probably have a minor lung irritation. That can cause a lot of the symptoms you describe. But when dealing with mold, it's just better to know one way or another.

Wonderon

Well after a day at the Docs, he claims I couldn't possibly have a fungal lung infection. Basically unless your an aids patient or had a transplant which would deplete your immune system then your body would fight it off. In that case I should be in the clear. I guess I may just have one hell of an infection in there. I was given more antibiotics and told that my other symptoms are due to stress. I figured some of it was caused due to stress but damn first time I've needed two doses of antibiotics to cure an illness I've had. So here goes, hoping it goes away now. Still not gonna smoke cause it causes pressure to build up in my chest which then is painful till I finally burp it out. Weird shit but I guess stress can get the best of you. This is by far the most stressful point of my life, without going into specifics believe me I'm stressed the fuck out. Thanks for all the help all.

I have an appointment with my primary care physician in a few weeks, if things aren't back to normal I'm gonna request that I have that test done on my phlegm just to ease my mind on the fungi possibility.

Last edited:
M

MEDUSA

My doc said the same thing. I asked his secretary to call me when he had a chance. Said pretty much the same thing. My body has very little chance of suffering from a mold infection.

Mucormycosis

Aspergillis

MED/USA

Last edited: