What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
matsuva said:
I'm sorry, should've just pointed out stinko isn't needed here, post all you want.
Well, aren't you all high and mighty.

"I'd like for everyone to contribute to this thread. Except you."
:rolleyes:

G

GOT_BUD? said:
Well, aren't you all high and mighty.

"I'd like for everyone to contribute to this thread. Except you."
:rolleyes:

He has stirred enough shit on this forum allready, i'm completely fed up with this guy highjacking very possible thread as he has done yet again quite succesfully. Let's get back on topic now, which isn't trolling but literature.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
matsuva said:
He has stirred enough shit on this forum allready, i'm completely fed up with this guy highjacking very possible thread as he has done yet again quite succesfully. Let's get back on topic now, which isn't trolling but literature.
So because someone doesn't agree with you, they should not have a voice? Even when it's on topic? You asked what was everybody reading, and he replied with what he has read. But because he "has stirred up enough shit", it invalidates his response?

Bit childish, don't you think?

Last edited:
G

This isn't about not agreeing, this is about refusing to accomodate trolls. There is no need to make this into yet another pointless political thread, it's a thread about art.
This is the last post i will be making in reaction to stinko and his alter egos in this thread. No matter how hard you try you won't troll me.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
matsuva said:
This isn't about not agreeing, this is about refusing to accomodate trolls. There is no need to make this into yet another pointless political thread, it's a thread about art.
This is the last post i will be making in reaction to stinko and his alter egos in this thread. No matter how hard you try you won't troll me.
How am I trolling you? I simply pointed out your hypocrisy. You asked for what everyone was reading. He chooses to read political books. Are they literature? Yes they are. Then why the exclusion? That's all I want to know. He did not come in here and start talking about how Iran has a great leader, or how America is going to destroy the world, or any thing of the sort.

As for books I'm reading - the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, RIP. I also am becoming a big fan of George RR Martin. He's a bit vulgar for my tastes, but it's a great read.

G

I would go for Don Quichote, it's one of the first major works i read and it sparked my interest in reading, it still is hilarious after all this time. I like crime and punishment a lot but i'm not as emotionally connected to that book.

C

Cannabal

I was not expecting to see behavior like this in weedforum. This amazes me. This reminds me about good old russia, there was only one truth. That seems to be the case here too.
Adult homo sapiens ?

The books I read:

Dostojevski: Idiot
Douglas Adams:Hitchikers guide books
Isaac Asimov
Stanislaw Lem
And other great scifi books.

G

Have ALOT so here is the latest good read i had:

The Road-Cormac McCarthy

Moth Smoke - Mohsin Hamid (mixed bag; heavy on smokeables, good vivid language, average storyline. Kinda reminded me of "The Stranger" by Camus in a way)

The Mystic Masseur - V.S. Naipul. His first, interesting Trinidadian political novel, kinda like Siddhartha in a way.

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Reading: White Noise - Don Delillo

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
i read it in school, and saw it coming true all around me....it was kind of sad, and not many of the people understood that it wasnt just fiction, but it was a prediction....

theres too many books to even start...just look and there are many good ones, but i am a sci fi kind of guy, and cordwainer smith is my man in that dept.....

DickAnubis

WOW, you guys are heavy on the classics. that's cool.

I suggest these:

RATS by Robert Sullivan
A history and personal observations of rats in the City of New York.
Fascinating read.

PARASITES LIKE US by Paul Adams
An end of the Human Race fiction that takes you through a logical landscape of folly and fate.

THE SHEEP LOOK UP by John Brunner
This is a great book. Written in 1970 it is a story of the last 13 months of the United States of America. John Brunner was a visionary who foresaw the rise of the celebrity President as well as the celebrity terrorist. His President, known as Prexy is the spitting image of our current president. Really amazing, insightful and fun Socio-fiction.

For lighter fare:
LIKE A LAMPSHADE IN A WHOREHOUSE by Phyllis Diller
Not fiction, but a wonderful autobiography with the help of Richard Buskin. Phyllis Diller is 90 year old now and has lived an amazing life starting her comedic career at the age of 35. this book is worth it for the jokes. This lady splits my sides. I grew up watching her on TV and was surprised to find out that not only was she still alive, but still working. I highly recommend this book.

PEACE DA

Magi101

The Revolution Betrayed-Leon Trotsky
Steal This Book-Abbie Hoffman
A confession and other religious writings-Leo Tolstoy
The Prince-Machiavelli
Dragon Lance Novels own all

dbuzz

Veteran
currently reading
512EHJJAXGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
. http://www.amazon.com/King-Con-Stephen-J-Cannell/dp/0380728176

i prefer any books of history so if you know of some amazing reads, please, please tell me.

trouble

Veteran
A brief list of books I find to be rewarding and relaxing would be:

Greek: Aeschylus, Socrates, Euripides, I suggest all of these with emphasis on the Orestean cycle. However, do not go further then Euripides, for Aristophanes and his followers are to zesty and filled with smut.

Roman: Virgil here. The others, with the possible exception of Catullus, when of course they are not copying the Greeks and the Manichaeans, are mainly concerned with reporting scandles and various other key hole type dirt? i.e., Procopius. Tacitus's Germania is excellent and often unknowingly evokes a spirt of getting really stoned.

German: Of the Germans I would only recommend Walter Von Der Vogelweide. After him the Germans became much to interested in Death, Freud, and the Categorical Imperative for me.

French: Here I would recommend nothing. The French are to concerned with encouraging sloth, salons, and a generally feminine society.

Russian: All of Dostoevsky. None of Tolstoi or Chekov. Tolstoi is a matter of private conviction. In Tolstoi's later life he came around to the belief in the equality of man. Dostoevsky never entertained such excesses. As for Chekov, the man is a hopeless incompetent with virtually nothing to say.

English: Kipling, David Hume, Malthus, John Locke, Marlowe, Kenneth Grahame, Wodehouse, and possibly Shakespeare.

American: I try to refrain from most american writers, since the deaths of Ernest Hemmingway and William Styron I really dont feel any American writers have come to the literary front worth mentioning.

Right Now I'm reading "The Five Civilized Tribes" by Grant Foreman.

Last edited:
G

trouble said:
German: Of the Germans I would only recommend Walter Von Der Vogelweide. After him the Germans became much to interested in Death, Freud, and the Categorical Imperative for me.

French: Here I would recommend nothing. The French are to concerned with encouraging sloth, salons, and a generally feminine society.

You should give Lf Celine a chance, nothing feminine about his stuff. In Germany the likes of Thomas Mann or Günter Grass remain quite impressive.