What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

St. Phatty

I just ordered Michael Connelly "Desert Star", used of course, from Abe Books.

I also found a book about Edible Wild Plants, the one by John Kallas. Just scanning it there were several plants that grow on my land like weeds. So I might buy that one too.

I have read a few books about Nuclear tech, and it's interesting how they hide some of the details, and don't even put it on the NIST website, which has lots of material information.

Turns out Lithium 7 (the most common kind) can ALSO be used in a Hydrogen bomb. This is why the American Castle Bravo nuclear test in the Marshall Islands had twice the output they expected. They thought only the Lithium 6 would participate in the Fusion part of the reaction.

That was in a book "Atoms & Ashes, A Global History of Nuclear Disasters". They count the Castle Bravo test as a Disaster, when it was 100% deliberate and performed about the way they expected. Even it it had only been 5 Megatons they still would have exposed the Japanese fishermen to radiation.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
reality sucks, so i'm into humor lately. specifically, outdoor humor like Patrick McManus, or, more recently, Bill Heavey, writer of tomes like "Is the tent supposed to be burning like that?" and "you're not lost if you can still see the truck".

salom

Lately I am enjoying reading novels. Don't think a lot of you know it due is a Spanish book but pretty easy to read and very interested and well done history, book call "Esclava de la libertad" from Ildefonso Falcones. Highly recommend.

Green Squall

Lately I am enjoying reading novels. Don't think a lot of you know it due is a Spanish book but pretty easy to read and very interested and well done history, book call "Esclava de la libertad" from Ildefonso Falcones. Highly recommend.
I really enjoyed Manel Loureiros zombie series. Luckily, it was translated into English!

I'm not aware of the book you mentioned, but I'll check it out.

Green Squall

Bloodroot by Daniel V. Meier JR.

It's a historical fiction novel which takes place in the Jamestown, Virginia colony during the early 1600s.

DizzyTonika

I Always Read Horror/Fiction My First Book Was The Stand Years Ago By Stephen King An I Just Branch Out To Other Authors Over The Years RN I Readin "Chills" By Mary SanGiovanni.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
My recently acquired book collection with used but new to me book case (2m tall x 1.2m wide) plus my old book case (1m x 1m);
IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

Authors include;
Matthew Reilly
Arthur C Clarke
Robert A Heinlein
Ben Bova
Terry Pratchett
Isaac Asimov
Clive Cussler
Mixed authors