What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
Great Book

Great Book

I heard of peole talking about the book and one day i went to Sam's club and brought it their.:cool:

Anhedonia

I'm currently on Tom Robbins' Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas . I've read one other book by him ( Still Life with Woodpecker ) and both of the stories are very surreal and he's really a master of the metaphor and a very descriptive writer and comes up with excellent similies that are just plain wierd.

I'll add a quote from the book as well, kinda long though, but it really stuck out when I read it.

"We modern human beings are looking at life, trying to make some sense of it; observing a 'reality' that often seems to be unfolding in a foreign tongue--only we've all been issued the wrong librettos. For a text, we're given the Bible. Or the Talmud or the Koran. We're given Time magazine and Reader's Digest, daily papers, and the six o'clock news; we're given schoolbooks, sitcoms, and revisionist histories; we're given psychological counseling, cults, workshops, advertisements, sales pitches, and authoritative pronouncements by pundits, sold-out scientists, political activists, and heads of state. Unfortunately, none of these translations bears more than a faint resemblance to what is transpiring in the true theater of existence, and most of them are dangerously misleading. We're attempting to comprehend the spiraling intricacies of a magnificently complex tragicomedy with librettos that describe barroom melodramas or kindergarten skits. And when's the last time you heard anybody bitch about it to the management?"

--Tom Robbins, "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas"

Last edited:

BridesNightie

Sounds like an interesting book, Anhedonia. re Woodpecker - I don't remember anything about it except for a vague memory about the cover. :) ... Just pulled this off amazon:

"Punta del Visionario* before the revolution. Tonight I'll pull the cork. I'll inject 10cc into a ripe lime, the way the natives do. I'll suck. And begin.
If this typewriter can't do it, I'll swear it can't be done."

hahaha! :(

(*end of the visionary?)

Oh yeah, I remember reading 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues' that was kind of 80's folksy/absurdist I think.
Have you read 'The Crying of Lot 49' by Thomas Pynchon, or After Many a Summer by Aldous Huxley? Both spring to mind as absurdist. :abduct:

I bought Fight Club the other day but haven't got around to reading it yet; saw the movie. Nothing like getting the shit kicked out of you for fun. lol

This is another sort of American yuppie gets his oats type book 'Electroboy' by Andy Behrman - scatty but touching autobigraphy. :)

I'm currently raking through the embers of the ancients - Greek style with Herodotus and Thucydides, drawing comparisons between realpolitiks then and now...

“Haste and anger – the two greatest obstacles to wise counsel. Haste, that usually goes with folly; anger, that is the mark of primitive and narrow minds. And anyone that maintains that words cannot be a guide to action must be either a fool or one with some personal interest at stake; he is a fool, if he imagines that it is possible to deal with the uncertainties of the future by any other medium, and he is personally interested if his aim is to persuade you into some disgraceful action, and, knowing that he cannot make a good speech in a bad cause, he tries to frighten his opponents and his hearers by some good-sized pieces of misrepresentation.”
from Thucydides - History of the Peloponnesian War. Book 3 (The Mytilenian Debate) translated by Rex Warner 1954.

Also reading 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erickson.

cheers, Bridie

c99_smoker

Been reading the Bible, "Indoor marijuana Horticulture" by Jorge Cervantes. "The Indoor Bible", a great read, I can read it over and over again. I can't recite it yet, but that will come with time. Lol.

Anhedonia

BridesNightie, haha, that brings back memories about the book, him and the old Remington typwriter...

I've heard about Aldous Huxley, and I need to pick up a book or two by him and get started.

Just found out that my cousin is getting me a book about the global history of narcotics for my birthday. That sounds like an excellent read as well.

Morganic

Altight lads, ive just got into reading lately...if its interesting. Ive read Mr.Nice by Howard Marks and a book about the Kray twins...I like my gangster stuff and anything to do with weed is a plus...Any recommendations. Thanx

bleak

0749395699.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

haven't finished it yet but so far it's a great read. Couldn't put the thing down once I picked it up. Def suggest this to anyone that reads the boards, you won't be disappointed.

Morganic

Its a good read alright..have you came to the bit where he's in a coffeeshop in geneva with his wife...totally skint...when he remembers he stashed a couple of hundred grand in a the bank across the road...i liked that bit.

SurferDudeVB

I just recently finished a great book by one of my favorites. Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson. Good book I must say, it is supposedly loosely based around his life when he did sports journalism in cuba. I am now on to another great book. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. EXCELLENT BOOK!! Has to be one of the best reads in awhile. Its a must read!!

BridesNightie

Greetings all,

Anhedonia you should start with 'Brave New World' by Huxley - his most well known. That golbal history of narcotics sounds juicy ;-)

In the Mr Nice vein is 'Smokescreen' by, Robert Sabbag. Funny!! lmao!

I can't think of any gangsta titles off the top of my head - I read one recently about a gangsta rapper dude... poignant. :(

This could be good: 'Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the Richest, Most Powerful Criminal in History' by
Mark Bowden. I read Black 'Hawke Down' which he also wrote.

Elmore Leonard's a good read if you are looking for 'hard man' stories, and James Ellroy.

Edward Bunker has kncocked out a couple of good Prison stories that worth a look. Also,

'You Got Nothing Coming: Notes From a Prison Fish' by Jimmy Lerner was quite good.

About to start on the 2nd installment of Jeffrey Archers UK Prison Sojourn - can't help sniggering tbh :)

I like the sound of this book: Tarmac Warrior: The Violent World of Extreme Fighting by Billy Cribb.

Reading is the mutts biscuit Morganic -
Thank the goddess for public libraries!!!

cheers, bridie

G

i am currently reading PATRIOT GAMES by Tom Clancy, No I am not an old timer, and no I am not an under 18 kid, I just have never seen the movie (which i think has Harrisson Ford in it) [I could be wrong] but anyways my pops, (nm what i think of him) had me read WITHOUT REMORSE by Clancy and that book kicked ass more than Mario Puzos "The Godfather" (yes... the same book that the movie was based off of) I am a younger generation kid, and I am a Sopranos addict (Except for the 5th season), i guess i just need something to keep me occupied)

as far as the "DaVinci Code" my mother is a librarian and i read the fucking book b4 her, but then again I read it bc I was in a speed reading class in College... but that was the fastest read i have encountered in the past year or 7???? but a great read none-the-less...

i wonder what BOG is reading right now?

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Currently I'm Reading...

Currently I'm Reading...

Nonverbal Behavior in Interpersonal Relations
Virginia P. Richmond and James C. McCroskey
Library of Congress Catalog Card 99-459-62

Bruchko
Bruce Olson
Library of Congress Catalog Card 73-81494

GreatLakes THC

I'm reading technical articles at present.

Schema, promise and mutuality: The building blocks of the psychological contract.

Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Nov 2001 v74 i4 p511(31p).

It explains alot.

Telepod

currently

currently

reading "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra.

Very similar to/must have inspired "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav, which I also recommend.

The Capra book is slightly more technical but both are well suited to (interested) general readers.

Both books discuss the fascinating similarities between eastern mystical traditions and the seemingly paradoxical world of the new physics.

Also on the Thomas Pynchon tip, I highly recommend his novel "Vineland." A freaky and brilliant romp thru end-of-20th-century pop culture, and mostly set in the "Emerald Triangle" region of northern California to boot.

G

Maxim - Does it count as reading if I just look at the pictures of the fine women?

Latest posts

Latest posts