What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid Questions about Dumb TV Shows

St. Phatty

PLEASE, Recommend some TV shows !

What are your favorites ?

I can recommend these -

Sons of Anarchy
Breaking Bad
The Closer
Bones
Dexter (terrible ending)

They all have a cops & robbers element, except Bones is more about forensics.

My question about Sons of Anarchy - a motorcycle club with members in California, Oregon & Nevada is importing firearms from Ireland, to California ?!

Why wouldn't they simply smuggle American firearms across state lines ? That seems more logical. But maybe the writers had to sit down with the ATF and get their blessing.

And admittedly, the firearms they were getting from Ireland were Full Auto, worth more to their customers in Oakland than a semi-auto made from American parts.

Also, since Sons of Anarchy was always looking for "ways to earn" - why didn't they grow pot ? They existed before the major price drops that would have made that, less of a good idea.

Anyway, TV shows, despite their flaws, can still be a great way to escape.

I actually laughed at a scene in 'Mom' recently :woohoo:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recommend killing your propaganda machine & spending time w your friends & family enjoying doing things together.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
God, I hate TV....

But I have to admit I watch it about 2 hours or less each night. (Mainly because my wife enjoys it sometimes)

If I lived by myself I wouldn't have a TV in my house..

One of my favorite old songs by Frank Zappa is, "I'm the Slime"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sREpqDiUo

but here's a detective show that's OK.... "Bosch", on Amazon TV...

Spaventa

Veteran
I recommend not watching TV, at all. Have sex, go fishing, or restore an Impala - these are my recommendations.

St. Phatty

I recommend killing your propaganda machine & spending time w your friends & family enjoying doing things together.

But after reading some of the serious leaning threads on ICMag everybody is up for some mindless entertainment.

My TV comes via Netflix DVD's.

When I do go to a house that has normal TV, I notice that I am fascinated by the ads. Most of them I've never seen before.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
God, I hate TV....

But I have to admit I watch it about 2 hours or less each night. (Mainly because my wife enjoys it sometimes)

If I lived by myself I wouldn't have a TV in my house..

One of my favorite old songs by Frank Zappa is, "I'm the Slime"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sREpqDiUo

Same- Don't own a TV but I've been sitting in on Westworld with my roommates. If they weren't around, lack of TV wouldn't phase me too much. Gotta give it up for Westworld and Barry, though. Pretty entertaining.

Re: Zappa- Live in New York w/ Don Pardo singing the verse on Slime? Awesome!

Spaventa

Veteran
Is this a thing? stoners don't watch TV? It would explain a lot. TV is the most important means of propaganda and mind control they have. In fact, it would be enough on its own to explain the ban.

St. Phatty

Michael Connelly is a great writer.

He manages to make LA seem like a nice place.

Aside from all the murders that occur there in his books.

Netflix does not seem to be playing nice with Amazon.

Can't get "Bosch" on Netflix yet.

Maple_Flail

I cut the TV chord atleast 10 years ago.

in that time there have been all of 2 series that have held my attention for more than 15-20 mins. even those i couldn't watch until conclusion, got way too boring for me.

so If you feel like laughing at exaggerated idiocy, Gold rush (gold rush alaska) {aka gold rush parker wins and todd fails}

I can't remember the name of the other show, it was a food network thing.. Anthony bourdain maybe?

Gry

Been over 20 years now. Best thing I ever did for myself in life.

Over-Nite Sensation was my favorite Zappa album.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
no cable or network horseshit for me for years now. what little viewing i do now is Netflix or youtube. watch what i want or nothing at all. weather channel on 'puter tells me most of what i need to know, news from various sources on net. rare times i go out, tv is nearly always on in other homes complete with mind-damaged folks actually watching commercials! poor bastards...:comfort:

oti$

"I'm dying up here" is a good one that I got into this year. I think the second season starts soon. It's about a stand up comedy club in the 70's...

Green Squall

The Man in the High Castle
Taboo - My Top Pick
Peaky Blinders
Ray Donovan
Penny Dreadful
Shameless
The Leftovers
Turn
Narcos
Sopranos (If you haven't seen it yet)

St. Phatty

The Man in the High Castle
Taboo - My Top Pick
Peaky Blinders
Ray Donovan
Penny Dreadful
Shameless
The Leftovers
Turn
Narcos
Sopranos (If you haven't seen it yet)

I liked Ray Donovan.

Watched 1 or 2 Soprano's, seemed more like an infomercial for the "dumb Italian organized crime" stereotype.

Stranger Things is good.

I also like Cobra Kai. This is the follow on to The Karate Kid movies and continues the rivalry between Daniel Larusso and Johnny Lawrence.

Also good but definitely mind boggling is Castle Rock. Its an adaption of multiple Stephen King characters, including Pennywise. Shawshank Prison plays a large part in the show. The 2nd season has just been recently released.

St. Phatty

WOW this thread is still going :woohoo:

I like Sons of Anarchy and I do target shooting as a regular form of exercise. You get old enough and walking 200 yards uphill to change a target is, like, exercise.

I wear ear plugs and ear muffs.

But in the Shoot em up scenes which seem to fill every episode of Sons of Anarchy - they never wear hearing protection !

How can the actors work like that ? Do they have mikes specially positioned to be near to the gun ?

Is it all digital ?

Sh-t, I would flinch if I was an actor who had to to fire a gun with blanks as part of their job. Until I became deaf.

E

ESTERCHASER

nova,
journeyman pictures
river monsters w jeremy wade
curse of oak island

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Since I subscribed to Tidal Music streaming service my TV viewing has decreased
to an hour or so per day, good to know TV is fading among the literate.

Oh, and fuck Tr*mp.

lol

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Is this a thing? stoners don't watch TV?

I think the stereotype has us watching movies. This is interesting. How different are we? I've never had cable. But, I did download the original NBC run of Columbo (68-78) lately - never got to see it before, some of it is pretty good and it's an interesting time capsule. Finally downloaded The Wire and now I know why it's mentioned in the same sentence with Breaking Bad. Now if only there was more of that.