What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EM1 & EM5 “Effective Micro-organisms” Fungicide/Pesticide Uses

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Many years ago I made a very embarrassing (but interesting) mistake when up-potting my well-rooted starts.

I added the beneficial microbes to the new soil and transplanted 5 of the babies.

The next day I did the same for the remaining 5.

About 3 days later I realized to my horror that the 2nd batch had been amended with septic system microbes rather than the benificial microbes.

The containers were the same size/shape/color and located under the sink next to each other (duh, headsmack).

I was expecting a disaster since I had thrown in a good handfull but to my surprise, the 2nd batch with the anaerobic microbes did just as well as the 1st batch.:tiphat:

Former Guest

I just started my first EM mother culture tea, I added 5 gal water, few tbs high nitrogen ap bat guano, eath juice microblast, and catalyst, which has kelp molasses etc... and a couple tbs of EM. I tried to figure out the AEM content and feel like I may have made a super concentrate after the microbes bloom. Can anyone give me a simple answer and a simple procedure for a standard EM brew. Also in regards to microbemans post can I brew the tea without heat in say a 70 degree environment. if so should it brew longer than a week?

this is my first post on ICMAG and any help would be grately appreciated

As previously posted in this thread.

The instructions for extending/fermenting is all the same thing. You don't need to add the fancy stuff; just 1 part EM: one part black strap molasses; 20 parts warm non-chlorinated water kept at around 100 degrees for 3 to 60 days or more. For ag use 5 to 7 days works well. pH must drop below 3.8.

Some people ferment at room temperature or near a warm source. You can tell it is ready when the pH goes down.

:blowbubbles:

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Many years ago I made a very embarrassing (but interesting) mistake when up-potting my well-rooted starts.

I added the beneficial microbes to the new soil and transplanted 5 of the babies.

The next day I did the same for the remaining 5.

About 3 days later I realized to my horror that the 2nd batch had been amended with septic system microbes rather than the benificial microbes.

The containers were the same size/shape/color and located under the sink next to each other (duh, headsmack).

I was expecting a disaster since I had thrown in a good handfull but to my surprise, the 2nd batch with the anaerobic microbes did just as well as the 1st batch.:tiphat:
Always been curious as to the efficacy of those septic bacteria mixes they sell in a hydro system. A lot cheaper, lol.

Vandenberg

EM-1 is commonly used to keep nutrient feed lines clean and Bio-film free.

Some truly amazing and useful microorganisms to be sure. :)

EM is successfully used in agriculture and horticulture, in animal husbandry and aquaculture (fish, shrimp etc.), in composting and solid waste management, in sewage and effluent treatment, in environmental rehabilitation of wastelands and of eutrophied water bodies which is excessive richness of nutrients in a lake or other body of water, frequently due to runoff from the land.

Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The (mainly) lacto bacillus and yeasts EM culture, made from rice rinse water and milk, works VERY well with all plants I've used it with so far including succulents. ;) Anyone doing any type of foliar spray would do well to include it with every mix of spray.

spice

I used it over ten years ago, when I grew in soil. I was using it to pre-digest things like bat and chicken poop, got good results. After a while had this strange fungus growing in the soil symbiotically with the plants, it looked like beige styrofoam. Good stuff though.

Some companies were using it as a 'root inoculant' with good results supposedly.

I have the recipe in my old laptop, will see if I can find it, I grow in coco now so it's been awhile...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I have been recycling my kitchen waste using a bokashi system for a couple of years, which is basically Lactobacillus from my understanding. It is basically a container with vege scraps that ferments. You can then use the diluted juice and also the vegetable matter to add to potting mix e.t.c. It has been a game changer; the plants love it. The only thing is it is hard to know how much to use, but I have yet to kill anything. In fact the plants look really healthy.