What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

milk of magnesia

hereigrow

Anyone use it for mag supplement? Found it in my medicine cabinetread the label says magnesium hydroxide.. so it got me thinking its like epsom without the sulfur...anyone have info or ratios from personal experience. I could have searched the web better but discussing things here tends to be way more fun and educational...thanx all

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fast forward to 2018.....Anybody using magnesium hydroxide? Wouldn't it be a quick solution to both magnesium deficiency and low ph? Been using potassium hydroxide from drain cleaner with good result as PH up so I'm curious what you say to this one.

EDIT: it was probably sodium hydroxide

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How's it test in a glass of water?
How will the hydroxide portion react with the soil and soil organisms?

Try it on a single plant and post the results.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plant roots do deal with hydroxide ions all the time. The question would be whether the plant can use the Mg ions or not. My thinking was that Mg deficiency and low ph more than often go hand in hand, therefore using one supplement to beat two challenges would be a logical move. Nobody done it before?

troutman

Seed Whore
Epsom salt is a better magnesium supplement because it's way more soluble than magnesium hydroxide
and a lot less expensive. If you do use the magnesium hydroxide make sure you watch the pH as it will
go up.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Epsom salt is a better magnesium supplement because it's way more soluble than magnesium hydroxide
and a lot less expensive. If you do use the magnesium hydroxide make sure you watch the pH as it will
go up.

Ok I understand epsom salt is better because you can use more without raising the ph too fast.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Powdered dolomite would do pH calcium and magnesium too if you were in that boat

I know it's good but takes time to dissolve. Atm I think about quick solutions.

I wonder how much the potassium ions in potassium hydroxide (ph up) affect the nutrient level.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know it's good but takes time to dissolve. Atm I think about quick solutions.

I wonder how much the potassium ions in potassium hydroxide (ph up) affect the nutrient level.

All it takes to know is a little math that I haven't quite figured out yet.

If you can count molar mass you can figure it out pretty quickly, I'd guess.

My chemistry is weak!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All it takes to know is a little math that I haven't quite figured out yet.

If you can count molar mass you can figure it out pretty quickly, I'd guess.

My chemistry is weak!

I was good once, but it's looong ago...