What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BLUNT_69 building a SWC + Drip Hydro (for all you cab growers)

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
How does a completely enclosed, recirculating, zero water changes SWC system sound?? read on.This is the second morph of my self built Hydro system. It works.

9118SWC_drip_jpeg_1.gif

Most recirculating Hydro systems are bulky, making them difficult to taylor into a small room. Not to say I havent seen some ingenious feats around here!! My system is an easy hydro build that maximizes space in any room.

I wanted very much to run the krusty bucket(OG) or BIG TOKES Bio bucket system(ICMAG) that have been raved about when i first got started indoors.
Due to space and stealth factors I decided to design a system incorperating multiple designs into a compact, cheap hydro system 100% self built.

The system acts as a typical DWC system would by supplying the plants O2 through airstones.Instead of buckets im using 49 liter trays(2 plants per tray) + volume of the 6 inch pots. The system is top fed in intervals from the rez to feeder lines causing water levels to rise in the trays.This acheives a constant water level to the plants, as well recirculates the system when the overflow point is reached.Once reaching the overflow hose, the solution is returned via waterfall efect back into Rez.

a shot of the magic tray system. you can see how everything functions from this shot......but I know, y'all want more details eh???

The beauty of this system is it provides massive volume for root growth in both axis.My tallest plant grew to 6 feet. The system uses gravity and a pump to recirculate.That angled line comming out of the Rez is connected to the pump which in turn supplies the feeder lines....simple.

Here you can see the waterfall effect the system creates simply by recirculating.The pump is near this area, so this is where the 02 injection is created.

Here is the 02 injected feeder lines I constructed out of 1/2 hose and 1/4 inch air hose(fish stuff = cheap, widely avalible)

OK OK... BLunts run down. (this is going to take a few posts)

I went with drip irrigation for two reasons.

1. I had to maximize root growth within the pot itself, maximizing root space. Some DWC systems the roots grow straite down, wasting the volume of the pot.

.....and that just the top half!!

2. I wanted my system to recirculate.

The main table is made of 1/2 plywood with holes cut out to fit the netpot into the sweet spot of the tray, 1 - 2 inches off the water. The trays themselves I mounted with the lids onand predrilled 6 holes, finally screwing them up into the table.(you can see the screws in the pic)

The water level is maintained by the ebbflow idea of using a hose to channel the water back into the rez(you can see the level hose in the first shot)....for those that are too stoned to scroll back up there...haha.

the hose on the left coming down from my main trays to the REZ trays.

Their are 3 main trays connected together with 1/2 hose, what one tray does the others do. Each tray has 2 airstones located directly underneth each netpot hole.
Currently I have room for 6 plants. I am recirculating this system once every 4 hours for 10 minutes. Last round I recirculated every 3 hours for 2 mins.My idea here is better water exchange,cooling process-rez water is colder then the top trays), plus the creation of O2 due to waterfall effect like the biobuckets!!! I am still playing with this, who knows maybe i can run with out the stones!
My Rez is two larger trays on wheels (130 liters total capacity!!),
again connected together with half inch hose.You can just see the other one in the first shot....sorry stoners im not inserting that pic again!!!l
They sit directly below the main trays. Everything sits about 2 1/2 feet off the ground(plant to ground).

A good shot of the feeder lines. At the netpots you noticed i drilled a spot for the hose to go in. I used those small T 'ees at the end of the line in each netpot, once they are buried they seem to stay in place.

Hopefully that gives some ideas to you folks out there looking to compact their system, maybe even gain 1/2 - 2 feet ot of headroom.

Last edited:

HOVAH

good build Blunt im watchin ya! Can i get a wide angle pic of the whole system? thanks 1HOVAH

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
I'll see what i can do on that. It's a fairly small area. But I may be able to get a better shot.

Anyways I will be taking some shots tonight so hopefully some better angles for everybody.

Last edited:
G

Looks good Blunt69 :yes:

Have you completed any grows in that system yet? How did she perform for ya?

Blunt_69

Veteran
you betcha she performed.....yeilded better then any of my soil grows...I plan on shattering the record with my current grow and one plant short...only 5 his time :(

last round

(the prized photo!!)

night pics show it all!!

veiw of the table with netpots removed.

a few more

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
Sorry guys, I cant really get any better pics then the ones ive got!! But the diagram should give you a better idea of how it all goes together.

1 1/2 weeks into flower.look it all those tops!!!

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hello Blunt 69

very cool setup you have built yourself. and from the bud shots it does the buisness too eh? but this system can not be concidered DWC. because you eliminated a big problem zone from DWC by turning it into a kind of SWC, but fed with drippers. the fact that the roots aren't always in water means that your water temps can vary alot more without ill effects. in the end i would say its a recirculating dripper setup. not that it maters as long as you get the results your after eh? so once again great job.

peace and good growings

gaius

Blunt_69

Veteran
Actually it is SWC.Trust me their are plenty of roots in the water, the trays are litterally bursting at harvest time!!.I will post some pictures of roots from the trays eventually.

The drippers are more ment for maximizing pot growth and the recirculation of the system.The trays are half full of nutes solution, what isnt kept alive by water in the trays is supplied from top feed.

Thanks for checking the magic trays out!! I have been most pleased with what they can do!!!

9118mmm_mmgood-med.jpg

9118wowzer-med.jpg

9118perfect-med.jpg

Last edited:

rv9308

sound good?

sound good?

i was thinking of another system to do but this looks like it's something suited more for me
so for a four plant system i'd need:

two 49 liter trays for 4 plants

one 93 liter tray for the Rez

the 1/2" rubber hose downsized to 1/8" feeder hoses for each plant

the net pots 6" (would 8" be better?)

V

vhGhost

.. how the hell did i miss this thread... great looking colas bro... keep it going!

G

Looks like a great set up. I am still in soil at the moment, but have that just about nailed down so thinking of hydro but havent decided yet. Looks like you yeidled a lot of tasty bud from this set up and the low height would really help me at the moment thanks for sharing.
Goodluck with your grow!
~neilspotshop

Blunt_69

Veteran
you could get away with 6 inch net pots im sure.8 inch even better If you change the original design who knows??!!

i say go for it

Thanks VH!!

Neil - no problem, it works for me so i figured it will work for others. copy it, upgrade it(i plan on the threaded spouts and proper plumbing fittings eventually)

Its cheap, here are the results. go for it!

images stolen from DOIN IT BLIND...
9118mmmmgood12.jpg

9118clossedupper2.jpg

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I would love to see some pics of the end of harvest, and after. How do those tubs hold up? YOur design is cool and thought provoking. I used a mess of heavy tubs in my first few hydro seasons, and converting them to recirculating is on my list of possible projects next year. How has this gone with any leaks and what is your leak backup plan in the design? Any access issues? Thanks dude, cool running - magic trays!
H

Blunt_69

Veteran
Haps - check out MY XMAS GIFT
thread for end results or have a look through my signature, for previous runs with the trays. No leak protection, however I am installing proper plumbing fittings and redesigning certian areas as part of the third morph, hopefully providing 100% LEAK RESISTENT! The tubs have exceeded expectations -running for 2 years. This thing is nearly completely enclosed unit and uses gravity to recirulate, leaks dont occur.My silicone job lasted awhile but i have had some small leaks which will also be part of the upgrade.

Ok as promised The third morph of the Magic Trays. They have served me well, but...everything comes to an end! out with th old, in with the new....er! Stay tuned as I will be updating periodically.

The first image you can see how high the trays sit off the ground compared to a bucket. You can also see how this thing works.
9118Picture_026.jpg

The top shot with everything cleaned up
9118empty_top_.jpg

Problem#1 clogged airline....... Going to a replacable air hose that will run along the bottom(encouraging better O2 disspertion.)
9118problem_1.jpg

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
The trays have lids that i cutout for the netpot as well. Seems to do the trick!you can just see it in the above picture.

OK..

Been a little busy tonight. I also did some number crunching. I have completely started over using the same materials.

3 top trays $7.49 each
2 lower Rez trays $14.65 each
Hose (i had it kickin around but cheap to buy)

6 1/2 fittings @ 1.50 each
1 3/4 fittings @ 3.50 each
4 buble airwalls ~ $4.50 each(bought those awhile back)

estimated cost of other materials required

a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood is around 13-15 $
Pump 50-100$
airhose - $10.00
Airpumps 3 - $20 each

The key to working with this platic is patience and care. If you crack it, thats it game over, it will always leak from this spot. Every hole was cut using a small starter bit first ,then a 1 inch hole saw. I lightly sanded the backside area, and applied silicone to the rubber seal and screwed it all tight. came out very clean

Here is the new setup.. introducing the muchly improved Magic Trays.

Key design changes

- Relocated overflow line into far side rez(non pump side).
- Upper tray leveling design change.Universal axis.
- Lower Res trays relocation of leveling line - at the back rather the front.(also allows for future expansion of RES capacity)

Tray explaination from left to right starting at the top.

Main bubbler tray -top middle is the overflow return line. center right is a leveling line.

Main bubbler tray - center top, leveling line

Main bubbler tray - center left, leveling line.

dropping directly below that, REZ tray 1 - top left pump supply, bottom left leveling line

REZ tray 2 - bottom right leveling line. Return hole for upper trays has yet to be drilled.

9118yeeahmcoydan.jpg

9118realmcoysetup.jpg

9118lowerRez_leveler.jpg

That should help with construction ideas.. I know it was hard to see when it is all mounted in place.

**note** you must pre drill everything.This plastic is very easy to damage. When mounting into plywood, do not overfasten. I like to run 4 screws per side, 2 top and bottom for a total of 12 screws per tray. the trays hold some good weight when operational, do not underestimate it.

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
Few of the trays mounted.. All thats left is run some hose drill a few more holes and try it!!!

9118Picture_073.jpg

I came up with a quick way to make some screw rubber gaskets..Trying to reduce shock between the screwhead and plastic(a problem i had last time). Just another fabulous thing to use airhose for!! cut it into small pieces.away u go!!

My luck was good, not a single crack.This is the hardest part of the whole assembly.

9118Picture_076.jpg

9118Picture_077.jpg

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You got stones to hang those trays, screwed in from underneath, do you back that up with straps or anything? Do they sag bad when full? Just trying to understand what is there, you do cool work. Modular, scaleable systems is the ticket for the masses on grasses.
H