What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finally I own a hot car - E63 AMG

foaf

Veteran
I'm over 50 and I've never owned a fast or expensive car. I always buy really nice luxury cars like S class mercedes, but I buy them 10 years old with 100k miles on them. Its actually a very economical way to own nice cars.

So my 1990 560 SEL mercedes, while it looks great and I feel like an ambassador in it, was starting to burn a quart of oil a week or more. No big deal but at 250k miles, thats looking like an endgame soon.

So Im searching ebay for an eclass diesel with 100k miles in the 10k dollar range as I usually do, and up pops this E class AMG with 15000 miles on it for less than 30k. something must be wrong. I call them and it was a totaled and rebuilt car for sale by owner. Apparently he bought the car from his insurance agency after they totaled it and he fixed it up.

I had a mechanic check it out, everything was super great and fixed correctly, no warranty however.

So now I have a car that usually would have sold used with 15k miles on it for in the 80k range, quite out of my emotional range if not my financial range, for less than half the price.

0-60 in 4.1 and 1/4 mile in 12.4 509 hp 465 torque

Now I need a special chip that lets it go 200 mph, the current chip limits you to 165. :)

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like a mid- life crisis....But I'm ...uhhh taking the 5th on that ....and I want a insane 97 Toyota Supra SINGLE turbo beast!

That E65 rocks but all work must be done at a AMG specific shop...but that only applies if you want the warranty to remain intact....I've seen some ridiculous low priced 911's also.....great for trolling for way to young for me hawties.....

foaf

Veteran
Sounds like a mid- life crisis....
Maybe... I don't really feel in crisis, fortunately, and if I did, I would smoke a bowl and it would pass. But I am long overdue for a muscle car.

And I didn't know about having to do warranty work at an AMG approved dealer. Doesn't matter cause I got this cheap with no warranty, but bought a 3rd party warranty for a couple of grand, and my good old non dealer Mercedes man who has been taking care of my old cars for years says he can work on it just fine.

Flooring it on the interstate is a blast.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
having worked at a benz dealer and seeing you admit to certain things being out of your prince range, with all due recpect, if i were you, i would get rid of it. its not in your budget, you can't afford to fix it when it breaks. and i know "this guy put it together and he knows what hes doing", "this guy looked at it and he fixes my fords", "i owned a benz before(that seemed like you were barely holding onto) so i know what i am in for... but..." but again, i worked at a benz dealer. i had to deal with 'independent mechanics' all day who "need the manual for repairing XXXX" which doesnt exsist and they need 'this special tool' which costs a couple hundred bucks and only needs to be used once, something a small shop doesn't want to invest in. go hang out at a mercedes dealer for a day, maybe 10% of the cars in for service is other dealers not able to fix the damn things.

but you didn't come here to get advice and i can give you a whole bunch of stories about cars just like this one that i helped a dozen shops piece back together over several months. so i'll tell myself to fuck off, and you enjoy, also, drive safe.

foaf

Veteran
seeing you admit to certain things being out of your prince range, with all due recpect, if i were you, i would get rid of it. its not in your budget,

well, I appreciate that sentiment, and I do see what you are thinking. I agree that that should be a consideration in a situation like this and others considering such purchases should be careful.

mostly a normal 15000 miler at 70 - 80 k would be out of my "emotional" price range cause I'm a cheapskate, or at least I try to be efficient with my fun money. And I never do loans on cars.

This is my 7th mercedes, mostly I get vintage ones. I just got rid of a 560 SEC that I had for years in addition to my old SEL. I do always buy them in the 10 year + old range and the 70-100k mile range. I do this so I can write a check for them, Ive never had a car note and don't now. I bought a 5 year 100k mile warranty that my mechanic says is good and will pay him for mostly what might come up. And my mechanic of 20 years was the head of a dealership garage for years till he opened up two mercedes only shops, he knows what's up.

But you are right, there are risks buying such cars and the purchase price is just the start.

A few years ago I was seeing these mercedes SL65 AMG supercars with V12 twin turbos, usually multi hundred thousand dollar cars, selling for 40k or so. I asked my guy what was up, should I get one. He pointed out that they went on sale after the warranty was out for cheap cause every visit to the garage cost 5k and any major work cost 10k. They are much more exotic and prone to issues, so I passed for sure. This car isn't like that, it is a bit more if there are problems, but Im aware of that.

thanks for the insight

^^^^ if nothing else he can just keep it stored in the garage then turn around and sell it in 5-10 years for a profit. thats a hell of a nice score that would not be possible if the economy werent in the state its in. somebody was desperate.

^ fuck a warranty, they are always a losing proposition. if not a mechanic oneself then having an old pro with all the right tools at your disposal is certainly the next best thing. sounds like youre set on that front.

i think you made a great snag and your attitude indicates you are the type of person who has the discipline and patience to wait for the right deal to come along, and the wisdom to know when the jump on it. well done and enjoy your sweet ride. :tiphat:

Yikesy

Congrats. To the people saying to flip it, he paid about what it's worth with a rebuilt title. He wouldn't make that much, if anything, if he were to turn around and sell it. Check the completed items on eBay.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
that car is beautiful. how much hp does it have? i got my first hot shit car. my dream car actually. been a few years in the making and it finally came through. right now im pushing about 400 out of a 2.0 4cylinder but im on my way to 500 and then i gotta call it quits so i dont kill myself or others haha.

anditwasfun

Congrats and best of luck...newer Euros are a pain in the ass. I'm partial owner of a European service/performance business. If I were you i'd enjoy it for a little while and maybe part ways with it when it loses the thrill...talking about that, I have an m3 for sale that'll make you shake in your boots :dance013:

foaf

Veteran
Ok, 510 HP is fun, but its kinda losing a little of its thrill. Im this close to getting a performance kit that has improved exhaust, a supercharger, and a few other tweeks that brings it up to 769+ hp they say and 667+ torque. And especially one gets proportionally more low end torque with the supercharger setup. It's a pricey kit, and it voids the warranty, but I got the car relatively cheap and have an aftermarket warranty that should hold up for most issues.For quite a bit less I can get to 640 hp, without modifying the exhaust system.

For those of you who have played with higher HP vehicles, I haven't, how much more fun is say 640 hp or 769+ hp vs the stock 510 hp? Mostly just punching it on the highway now and then and would certainly go to the drag strip a couple of times if I upgraded.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hello Foaf, I too am a huge fan of Mercs of mid 80's to late 90s vintage, but ONLY with V8 engines. Generally I buy them in very poor shape, and have them fixed up by shade-tree mechanics, to produce true wolves in sheep's clothing that are still capable of leaving many "modern" cars in the dust.

My modest stable at present comprises a 1985 500SE, a 1983 Euro 500 SEC, and a 1994 E420, all of which are capable of eye-watering acceleration and handling when needed.

Yet, I still nurse dreams of owning a 1997 or 1998 Mercedes R129 Roadster, the fabled SL500, for no other reason than the sheer beauty of that powerful beast, which I still find WAY more appealing than anything produced by any manufacturer before or since.

I guess I get a thrill out of now being able to afford to own performance Mercs whose prices when new were way out of my league, but whose full potential can be restored by a skilled mechanic decades later, all at a tiny fraction of the original sticker price.

Attachments

• SL 500.jpg
    SL 500.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 42