What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Getting started with Regular Seeds?

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting started with regular seeds. I have a four site rdwc.
So without just planting four beans and putting them in, and hoping I get at least 3 females... lol... is there any better way to weed out the males before putting them into their place, in the rdwc?

I really want to run some nicer genetics and most seem to only come in regular seeds form.

Easy7

Veteran
Hydro works best with clones and all the same clones.

Reg seed in hydro is a disaster. That's how I started once.

Get a veg area under a light. Veg reg seed until showing pre-sex.

Take cuts off of females. I would flower 4 cuts off of ONE female at a time. Try different females then keep the best.

Keep the best mom for further cuttings.

Hydro IS NOT great for pheno selecting at all. Hydro is 100% purely about production.

haha okay, that's what I figured. Waiting for seeds to hatch and root is like watching paint dry. So much nicer working with clones!

Starting fresh so I guess I'll just get the best Fem's I can find for now. While those start and finish I'll start selection of reg's for next run. I can leave them in a big rockwool cube while they veg, until a pre-flower shows? (Probably 2-3 months veg time.) Or would a bucket with air stones be better?

Easy7

Veteran
Searching in hydro is a waste of energy bills. Set up a small veg area with soil and use the hydro flower area to rock out buds.

A gram costs a grower $0.25 if done rightly

I would say above average knowledge in growing in general, but no where near knowing everything. (Reading my OP, I come off as a totally nooby don't I lol.) Cloning in RW before with very good success rate (someone from a local dispensary showed me how personally, *big thanks to that person*). I do remember a lot, but it's been a little while. I've grown some good bud in soil.

New to hydro. Did a lot of research, the rest will have to come from trial and error. Went and got everything I'm "supposed to have". Just have to setup RDWC. Going to start with RW.

I would really like to run some gage green, they Blessed me in the past. But they only come in reg's. Going to get things rolling because I need meds, so I threw some fem's down. But I will get a little veg thing setup for bean selection, and keeping clones for next run.
Ideally I could have a third veg thing for a mother..... but clones off (healthy and vegged) clones is not a deal breaker.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, you don't necessarily 'need' mother plants if your cloning tech is reasonably reliable, having mothers does have benefits but there are many who take cuts about 2 weeks into flower and then just root and veg these cuts for the next cycle.

...you might want to look at hempy buckets for your mothers as they are extremely easy to run and extremely hard to screw up, frankly i think hempys are maybe the easiest form of hydro that there is. ...it's passive hydro though so there are no pumps and such that can fail.

...here are a couple shots of my early hempys when i first started messing with them. ...note that these are just 2liter pop bottles made into hempy buckets with grorocks at the bottom and straight coco up top.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...anyway, the fact that you have some past experience will make your transition into hydro much easier, or it should anyway, lol.

peace, bozo

That last girl looks really nice! Those are Great for 2gallons!!!

I might look into that if I end up keeping something for a mother! I'd rather not deal with any medium that I have to carry and clean. That is why I switching to hydro. For now I need some nice Indica strains I can clone.

Despite my research, they're still living things...Mother nature likes to do what mother nature likes to do, so you just have to adjust as needed.

Here's a few random old shots..

Clones 7-10days
5coobs pic 1.jpg

Pretty :)
5coobs pic 5.jpg

500Ml. Water Bottle (4gal soil) :joint:
5coobs pic 3.jpg

Indica had me locked in! :skiiing: (rare dankness gear <3)
5coobs pic 4.jpg

Attachments

• 5coobs pic 2.jpg
    5coobs pic 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: