What's new

How long have you been growing, and where did it all start?

Random... but I was recollecting on where it all began for me.. hidden in my attic(from parents) ..under a shoplight with some brick weed seed in a non legal state..at 15! I'm 26 at this point that gives me about 11 years straight.. started guerilla and moved on to indoor/guerilla. Im not claiming to be an expert by any means..just was thinking about my childhood/teen years did the math and was amazed its been that long(getting old). I'm pretty hush hush with everything so none of my friends/family aside from the wife even know, So I figured I'd start a conversation with the community about it. I'd love to hear your guys story.:tiphat:

Yo! I've enjoyed the benefits of this plant since 1996, much heavier from about 2002 to current. Ha. I've only been growing for a couple years. Small time stuff, just try to supply my own without having to rely on other people's supplies and connections. It turns out I really enjoy growing these plants. There's something about taking a seed, keeping it alive, and ending up with such pretty plants that make you feel as good as they do. Growing these plants has me looking into also growing my own veggies. That's my short story. Nice idea, medicated4.

P.P.

Yo! I've enjoyed the benefits of this plant since 1996, much heavier from about 2002 to current. Ha. I've only been growing for a couple years. Small time stuff, just try to supply my own without having to rely on other people's supplies and connections. It turns out I really enjoy growing these plants. There's something about taking a seed, keeping it alive, and ending up with such pretty plants that make you feel as good as they do. Growing these plants has me looking into also growing my own veggies. That's my short story. Nice idea, medicated4.

P.P.
I could agree with you 100% about what you just said, its changed my whole life for the better. It all started because I was trying to get away from the street dealers and it worked much better as a medication then all the garbage doctors were feeding me for mental illness(ptsd,bipolar). What I wasnt expecting is it to become one of if not THE biggest passion in life for me. It got me into growing all my own vegetables which i would have never done, gave me a great deal of patience which i didnt have any of, helped me cope and overcome anything negative I've ever went through mental and physical. (blown out shoulder, degenerative back disease,ulcerative colitis at a young age, the list goes on and on) It gave me a sense of spirituality,a connection to the earth and everything on it that religion couldnt provide. I could have been an alcoholic..honestly probably was by most standards well before 21..I havent drank in years..never even been to a bar.. the sweet mary jane I owe thanks to for that. I wouldnt be who I am today..nor would i probably be on this earth at this point. I honestly owe my life to this plant and I hope its helped everyone as much as it does for me. Thanks for the response @personalprovide

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
first indoor basement under shoplights, 1981
picture.php

Current legal Mass Basement with med card, priceless!
Sour Dubb
picture.php

SFV
picture.php

Fish_n_Grow

Nice CP! I learned about growing from an older coworker who was a master grower in my early twenties. His smoke would make novices trip! Fast forward 22 years and I'm still growing strong.

thejact55

I got my own apartment when i was 17, like 2003. Grew some bagseed indoors with my buddy, and planted a ton of seeds at random spots outdoors, just outside the city. Cant believe i though they had a chance of making it, they all got ripped up. Been growing off and on, mostly on, since then.
We ripped hps lights off of businesses and parking garages and shittily wired make shift balasts. Humble and janky beginnings that has turned into a life long passion.

Stardog

Started out as a trimmer/water boy in Ca back in 86', never looked back. Managed one way or another to keep it rolling since then. I didn't realize Chunky had so many years on me, damn he just keeps getting better too!:tiphat:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
first indoor basement under shoplights, 1981
View Image

Current legal Mass Basement with med card, priceless!
Sour Dubb
View Image

SFV
View Image

I've told you how much I dig that first picture before chunky. Something about it. Everything about it! It says a lot to me man. Much respect bro.

I feel like breaking out some polaroids but yours has about 7-8 years on mine so yours have a look mine don't have and it's composed so much better than mine.

Inferiority complex'n shit!haha

Sailormoses

1970 trying to grow sativa's outdoors in Mass with mexican and columbian seeds. Then moved indoors in 1985 with seeds from SSSC and the Seed Bank.

Wow, some of you guys have been growing almost as lve been alive, and some even longer lmao!

@Chunky- that pic you posted is older then I am.

@sailormoses- 1970 is quite a long time, thats quite impressive!:tiphat:

@jact55- Bro I ripped hps lights off buildings too.. thats how I got my first couple..honestly I fell out of a abandoned factory ceiling and knocked myself out trying to get the last one, maybe karma?lol

@stardog- Man, I wish I lived in the beautiful state of Ca, you guys got it good over there. Shame the whole united states doesnt just hop on the bandwagon and legalize.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Somewhere around 1972-73 for me. Like Sailormoses, central Ma.
I remember growing sativas and making greenhouses out in the woods in the Fall to keep them going. Also grew the RKS for a few years when it was floating around
Bought a book written by Mountain Girl about growing Sinsemilla in the mid 70's. Learned a fair amount from that and never looked back. Still have that book laying around somewhere.

Drewsif

Never grown a plant, its illegal!

I've lost the picture, but if I could find the pic of my first successful grow, the smile on my face posing with those plants... Rare.. They were indica from bagseed around the time that started in Mexico. All my Sativas got wiped out by weather, attempt after attempt.

It started because of my stoner girlfriend. I refused to pay for a sack and she was always broke, so bagseed to the rescue.

Never once felt I was doing anything wrong, had a cop walk right past a truck bed full of plants. Had a cop in my house while i could smell my harvest in the closet.. No guilt, no worries. If I could just get the rest of my life to adhere to that philosophy...

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I started to grow my first seeds early 90's, but in France . No such cannabis scene like in the US. So I 've learnt a lot by myself with bagseeds from local washed genetics, maroccoan seeds and more ,foreign landrace seeds from travellers ...
Sometimes in gardens, but a lot in guerilla .
It was hard to be free from hermies seeds .
My first grow of early skunk f2 was a total revolution .
I started to grow with bulbs all inside in 2000 . After few tries with neon lights . And mixed indoor/outdoor tries also .

My old account on icmag : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59818

Peace and overgrow the world ! :)

Shovelhandle

1971 in Massachusetts, outdoors. Tried the bag seed sativas, they didn't finish. Grew some in windows in the 80s (in Vermont), cops took 'em. Been growing indoors and out since the 2000s. Outdoors get ripped most of the time. Indoors is my best bet but I still put a few out.

packerfan79

Veteran
Started in 2011, construction was still super slow from the 08 recession, with a wife and 2 kids. Now I grow enough in winter and fall, to pay all my bills all year and have plenty of personal.