What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

G

what's in a name anyway?

what's in a name anyway?

contrary to my user name, I grow in planter pots under 2 1000 watt lights. I am not really sure what the benefits are comparing hydro grow to soil. would like to try this easy to use system but I already have a significant operation goin and don't wanna screw anything up. can you shed a little light for me? :confused:

Guvnor

When the roots start coming through-the water level is set a inch or two below the bottom of the net-pot. The roots are then left to fall into the bubbling water. Don't know if not having a gap between the water level and bottom of net pot has any negative effects.

But if using an airstone- the root mass will get so vast that it grow over the airstone, thus preventing it from oxygenating the water/nutes to its full.
Having that exact problem at the moment
Using the pipe that the good dr uses will prevent this geatly I think.

Just a thought
Sorry to jump on your thread Doc

Guv'nor :joint:

Last edited:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My roots are in the water now but the net pot is still slightly submerged in the water, should i take some out to create a gap?
Peace

Purpleseed

Dr. very nice bud man!! What are your impressions on Shit?
Taste-Yeild-Ease-time of flo....

1977m :It's not too much just a bit on the hot side(for me) 26c-27c= about 79f.
Some plants will do perfectly at 85f some prefer colder.
Personnaly I have denser buds at 70f,that's where I like my flo. room to be.
Hotter temps are bad for water as they will develop unwanted guests in your water.Also hotter temps can make your plants stretch more.To make sure you have the right temps,put a thermometer at the CANOPY,held by a rope or something not in the corner of the room.You should maybe post this in another forum.Me too!

Dr. D

Veteran
ebbenflow just try one out in place of one of ur pots wen u do ur next run or if u have space just stick a clone in and try one out...uve seen how easy it is, give it a try
SweetNightMare the roots grow down into the water so there is no need to have the water level touching the bottom of the net pot...the level is ever changing as the plant takes up the nutrient solution and u top it up any way...pretty much wot Guvnor just said
Guvnor no probs mate any good info is welcomed :joint:
1977m are u talkin about the nutirent solution temp or the grow room temp?
true i usually let the level drop after about a week, roots are usully down enough by that time.
Purpleseed i think the Shit is excellent all round i have a very tasty keeper good yield great strain...if u look here u will see one of my grows with it http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11880 there are some older ones in the forums too..u will need to do a search..

heres a couple of pics of her she is at 45 days 12/12 still some time to go yet...ecvrything is cool the cf had shot p a bit but that is back down to 12 now ph was also a bit out but is now stable i dont find any problems in growth with theph goin up or down...this strain doest like alot of feed at all and 0 was way too high and cud have been high for a while (i hadnt checked it in the bucket) so this cud have hindered yield some...next post i will give some info on the nutes and additives i use and effect i think they have on cf and ph in the bucket... :sasmokin:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey 1977m that temp is fine, mine gets much higher than that under my 400 sometimes but with the 250 that is about the temp i run i find it just right 24-28c...peace

Bonzo

Veteran
Howdy Dr.D. :wave: Great stuff man, i have never tried DWC but am allways impressesd with the results. One ive allways wanted to know, and i read to about page 4 and didnt see it addressed, is how do you check and adjust ph and change nutes, what do you do with the plant , do you just remove the whole thing and set it on another bucket while you do tyour testing /changing? Once again, great thread packed with info and finishing with some killer buds at the end. :woohoo:

great job man :woohoo:

bonz :wave:

ps. i think this is one of the best dang threads on this site, just top notch :woohoo:

Last edited:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
still not a sticky!!

still not a sticky!!

Oh well seems this thread still aint a sticky yet so im gonna have to show some pics of the excellent results im getting and push it back to the top for all to see

Thanks once again Dr D, great info.
Peace

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Bonzo how u doin? i usually just top up as needed but since using canna-zym i i have ph drop and the cf rasie, so its best to change the water evry 3-4 eeks il give more info on this soon, wen m emptying i just sit the plant in another bucket and let the roots rest in there, preferebly a smaller bucket or a plant pot..wen checking the ph and cf i just lift the lid slightly and then get a reading with my meters...glad u llike the thread man
Hey true she is lookin great excellent growth an the root system is awesome healthy...good work man...
Ok iv been a bit late with an update but i just got some pics of here at 64 days.....i did a water//nute change about two weeks ago due to rising cf and drops in ph which i beleive is due to the using of the canna-zym...why i am not sure but ut is having this effect so if using this i think its best to keep an eye on ur cf and ph levels and do a nute solution change...iv onlly just topped up with canna-zym again and the roots(and also i find the ph raises wen im not using it so the right amounts will give a good balance to the ph anf cf) do need it my pump is runnin very weak at the mo so i think a new pump is needed..and the plant may have suffered a bit...she has a slight nute def from lockout due to the ph raising wen i wasnt there to keep an eye on things, i also had to tie her up due to the branching not being very supportive of the weight

u can see the slight difficiency in the main fan leaves..heres a few bud shots

i chhecked the trichs on sunnday and they are part cloudy so she willl be taken to about 77 daze...more updates and nute info to come :joint:

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
nice work, Dr. D....as usual.

truecannabliss, yours looks great, too.

lots of good ideas and suggestions in this thread...

thanks for sharing with us.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Nice one.........Hey DR, ...good ging mate....Ive just had to install myphone onthe pc to get some crap pics while my cam isnt playing....gonna get some of what I did mate.... Be lucky now

G

excellent for dummies like me, i tried it once but gave up...this thread just made try it again :joint:

G

@JD2005: Keep trying! That's the attitude. If you don't keep trying you won't ever end up a pro grower, that's what I keep telling myself.

I highly recommend this simple hydro method. I don't have pics, but I grow this method myself and I'm having amazing results!