What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thoughts on a Scottish Landrace

Hoots

Watching my typhoon and nanda devis grow has made me wonder on the benefits of a Scottish landrace.

A true breeding, open-pollinated, natualized variety happy in our enviroment would open up all sort of possibilities.

Reading through Dyr and Tanska's grow from last year I can see that for Denmark the typhoons already seem to fit this description. True breeding but with lots of variety and able to self seed and germinate outdoors.

One of the things that has impressed me about Himalayan and other original landrace strains is there almost dislike for feeding and rich soils. I don't know how the typhoons are in this respect but it is the case with the nanda devi.

There is an abundance of empty land especially in the north of Scotland but all poor acidic soils. Knowing a few crofters, farmers and estate workers I know how keen-eyed and observant they are to the slightest oddity in routines and changes in the landscape. In the huge expanses of badly manged forestry however there is acre upon acre of hidden clearings, windfall and such that is never visited usually with some kind of public access. Carrying large bags of compost,etc to spots is hard work and a bit obvious and fairly wears a track in. The less feeding the better.

Just picked up a copy of 'Breed your own vegetable varieties by Carol Deppe'. I can't remember who recommended the book in one of the Scottish threads but it is a really excellent read so cheers. She talks about accidentally breeding in slug resistance into peas by having selected plants that shoot up on long stalks very quickly as seedlings. The typhoons have stayed quite short in the cold weather but the nandis have put on a quick spurt of height the minute a bit of warmth came in to it.

If the plants have some form of natural slug resistance(Carol seemed to think hairy plants survived better as well), have seeds that survive our winter and can then germinate in poor soils and grow through the year then minimum attention is required.

By selecting the seeds from the best females and growing separately in closer better prepared plots, selecting for potency and mold resistance and reintroducing them to the 'wild' population it should be possible to stop them getting to hempy.

The select population would also provide material for crossing with other strains and the possibility of new Scottish landraces.

In the Himalayas every valley and village has its own variety distinct from the next and Scotland should be no different given the dramatic changes from one end of our country to the other.

By keeping a 'wild' population the genetic depth is kept for adaptability to changing situations, allowing for self sufficiency.

And as the law will change one day being prepared is no bad thing, alot of crofters could do with a better paying crop, Afghanistan of the north anyone?

Alot of this is quite new to me so feel free to point out the gaps in my knowledge, I have more questions than answers but I am enjoying the journey.

great thread, i am very interested in this myself,im in the same boat as you lot more questions than answers
i have a few open polination sites on the go mostlly with hfh scottish and some of rockets mixes just to get a seed stock started
going to order that book
here is a link to some info i have found on my searching for aclimitising a good mj strain for scotland

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_aK7dTNS1qkC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=acclimatize+strain+for+early+flowering&source=bl&ots=A-BdGv83z1&sig=Ll3PzuDkTKTksNJ_Hkbs1yienos&hl=en&ei=a8ChTZnaI4mChQeE-aj4BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=acclimatize%20strain%20for%20early%20flowering&f=false

rocket high

Veteran
Well hoots you hit the nail on the head. My f1's that are out right now are the first part of my very own acclimatization breeding project ... if all of us Scots growers put our heads together Im sure we can create the a Scots landrace no problems but it will take years to get them where we want...but i love a challenge.

The f1s are growing in clay soil which is pretty abundant here in the east , i just want them to get used to the soil here so they basically become indigenous over years in that clay soil ..well that's the plan.

Good to see more people getting interested in breeding a viable Scottish strain :)

mosstrooper

It was me that mentioned the breed your own veg varieties book, i found it pretty inspiring too, if slightly long winded. I was hoping to work on some landrace ganja too, but life got in the way this year.

Bah! :)

Puffster

purple thypoon (one week or two earlier than regular nepal) crossed with HFH Scottish which is made by some scottish breeder named eno.

make f1's of those two strains and go from there.

DruidsStash

I'd go on a trip to the highest places in India, the lower half of South America and bring a few kilo of seeds back and work with these for something new.

Is HFH Scottish related to purple#1? There has been a purple kicking about for around 10 years now and it looks pretty close.

thats a great idea, the only slight problem with the danish genetics is that the potency isnt all that great, does anyone remember ch@ppers? he grew out alot of esbens strains and wasnt impressed. but i tried some and thought it was quite good, the taste especially, gave a not very strong but very pleasant mellow high. I'l hopefully be doing some next year but what about crossing for instance a leb27 with an ak47? the ak isnt that long flowering and very potent with a non paranoia high, my favourite all time weed. maybe i should try a breeding project with those 2 next year, thats if esben still has any leb27... it finishes late august early september..... btw rocket when you harvesting your plants? luckily the weather has been less damp of late so theyve probably dried out a fair bit.... but even now its still quite late for an "early finisher".... suppose the mold resistance is a big plus aswell too

JGP

Been working on a Scottish outdoor F1 hybrid. Should be finished nextyear. Not really a fan of polyhybrids thats why I started working on an F1 as polyhybrids throw phenotypes all over the place.

420empire

Veteran
Hey mayn! Very cool topic.
I was wondering for a while, and i instantly thought of Finola hemp.. Yea i know what you fellas are thinking:" gosh ! that´s crappy hemp!" Well if you have time, place, and a lot of courage then maybe this could be part of the fundament of a new scottish "landrace".
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=271195
I would call it Flower of Scotland ( because of your national anthem ) ;D

420empire

Veteran
from the thread in the link:

Originally Posted by Cannabal View Post
There is this Finnish NON-thc strain Finola. It can take minus 5 degress celsius, and it finnishess to total maturity in finlandn short summer. It is grown for oil, oil is in the seeds, result is finola oil.

Once I went and drove nby a farm, and all I saw was hemp everywhere. As an old thieve, I cuold not resist, and I stopd my car, and I took few of them.

After good drying and cureing, I sampled some with my bong...at that time i had serious anxious depression going on.

It didn't get me high at all. But sure it did calm me down. It really worked for my brain. And it did relax my muscles, and it did remove some pains, like LUI would do. I guess it was quite high-CBD strain, this finola.

U see, You really shuold, meduser-people try to get your hands with these genes, it is a vigorous plant, even idiot can grow that weed,it is impossible to kill. Hey, if u can grow it in finland, u can grow it anywhere.

And, it seems very very very stable. I think it could be good father. It might add some cbd to genetical mix-up.

Here is more science about this oil strain: http://www.finola.com

Most interesting thing is, these seeds seems to be the perfect food for human.
These could solve food problem. And it helped my spinal pains and axiousness quite well. Still, I would like to add some thc, to the mix-up too.
The seed oil cured my close relatives skin desease.
Monsanto will kill me after saying this out...

Hey mayn! Very cool topic.
I was wondering for a while, and i instantly thought of Finola hemp.. Yea i know what you fellas are thinking:" gosh ! that´s crappy hemp!" Well if you have time, place, and a lot of courage then maybe this could be part of the fundament of a new scottish "landrace".
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=271195
I would call it Flower of Scotland ( because of your national anthem ) ;D

that's great thinking! How many generations of plant do you think it'd take before you create a stable strain that had a fair amount of THC? For the first few generations I'd imagine it'd be a very low THC content.

420empire

Veteran
Hey creativeprocess. Well and this is the tricky part when breeding with hemp, and I guess a lot of the breeders and tokers of the great Scotchland would rather use strains that already exsist, - i would too. But for now i don´t now an official strain that can handle - 5 celsisus degrees (Please post anything about "freeze" tolerant genes, from the drug strain). I think Esbe and ENO did a strain together (?), also Greenthumbs's Scottish,?? I haven´t tried any of them, But I think if you do a cross of :

Project - Flower of Scotland

1 # Scottish - male ( Esbe, Eno, Greenthumbs) X Finola Hemp - female

2 # Indian (Nanda Devi,Parvati etc.) X Finola Hemp - female

= select the plants that express the most psycoactive strain, and then try to stabalize it until the 5 th generation ( on DJ´s advice). But again if we can get more outdoor Scottish growers to share their knowledge on this subject it would be nice. Btw i am from Scandinavia, and we have some of the same weather as you guys.

Hmm What about Autos ?? ( finola has auto genes in it´s DNA)

btw. I am no pro breeder, and have a lil newbie experince with this part of the canna culture. please keep that in mind. :D

420empire

Veteran
Hey creativeprocess. Well and this is the tricky part when breeding with hemp, and I guess a lot of the breeders and tokers of the great Scotchland would rather use strains that already exsist, - i would too. But for now i don´t now an official strain that can handle - 5 celsisus degrees (Please post anything about "freeze" tolerant genes, from the drug strain). I think Esbe and ENO did a strain together (?), also Greenthumbs's Scottish,?? I haven´t tried any of them, But I think if you do a cross of :

Project - Flower of Scotland

1 # Scottish - male ( Esbe, Eno, Greenthumbs) X Finola Hemp - female

2 # Indian (Nanda Devi,Parvati etc.) X Finola Hemp - female

= select the plants that express the most psycoactive plant, and then try to stabalize it until the 5 th generation ( on DJ´s advice). But again if we can get more outdoor Scottish growers to share their knowledge on this subject it would be nice. Btw i am from Scandinavia, and we have some of the same weather as you guys.

Hmm What about Autos ?? ( finola has auto genes in it´s DNA)

btw. I am no pro breeder, and have a lil newbie experince with this part of the canna culture. please keep that in mind. :D

It's too cold too soon. You would have to do it in greenhouses or polytunnels. I've had some success with various lowryder hybrids in greenhouses but anything I ever planted out in the countryside didn't even make it to producing any worthwhile bud. This is various strains early girl type crosses and lowryder hybrids which are the best option in my opinion.

JGP

I've had plants flower and get pollinated by males and then start growing the following spring, late March. It was this year infact.

Latest posts

Latest posts