What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bayer Monsanto Merger Will Steal The Marijuana Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldchuck

Veteran
You are asking a hypothetical question with no possible answer. But this whole thread is pretty hypothetical.

I will point out that Monsanto's main business is selling pesticides and herbicides so that's where their research lead them in the production of GM corn and soy. Should we expect them to all of a sudden decide to stop poising the land?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Again i think we would not have to worry to much about Monsanto and Marijuana i would me more concerned about companies like Bayer you know Big Pharma that will use it like so many claim Medicine :)

Monstanto will be going where the big dollars are HEMP industry and working them lines you know the Big dollar housing markets you wood now replaced by Hemp what about Clothes ?

Surely its not marijuana that makes close but Hemp good market in there
what about oils ??? and alcohols ?? again sure you can make nice THC oil from a marijuana plant but oil from Hemp its a good source of protiens and Vitamins

So when you break it down, What would you really want control of ??? if your a big seed company a marijuana plant ??? or Hemp ??

There is no doubt if you want to grow corn ?? Monsanto has everyone beat with there 2 punch round up and corn seed by a mile
They may not control the universe but they are powerful
i mean you cannot build a house with out corn , or a car yup you need corn sparkplugs made out of corn .

Tires You know it made out of corn

People have tunnel vision, there fore do not see the big picture
Trust me Monsanto could give 2 fucks about marijuana plants but do give to fucks about Hemp seeds
where like corn is used in homebuilding to paper you write your nutrient schedule on :)

Think bigger folks

Wow...

You obviously haven't a clue about the economics behind the banning of cannabis?
Levis original plants were made from hemp. Obviously they last longer than cotton because hemp is more durable.

Tell me something...
If you were the CEO of Levis & you had to choose between a durable product that lats ten+ years for a hard working man versus making jeans out of cotton, which last 2 years for a hard working man...
What material would better line your pockets?

When the consumer isn't given a choice between materials but only a choice between brands...
What choice is there... Really?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Why have so many of the people that believe that the Marijuana industry will be stolen also get banned? Is it a plot organized by Monsanto, or just because they were not reading the IC TOU? Or both?

**edited/tou**

One thing for sure, a single entity can't control the worldwide Cannabis industry, the world has to many different growers, and they will never get all the underground growers worldwide to stop using non-GMO seeds, it is impossible to control and regulate, anyone that thinks so is nuts I suspect.
I have no love of GMO Cannabis but it has never been made and sold yet, maybe we should worry about real problems we all face today like overpopulation? That is real and here today, unlike Monsanto Cannabis which does not exist as far as I know. If they want to make GMO Cannabis they will need GMO genes to insert into their Cannabis, where are the Monsanto patents for GMO genes to be used in Cannabis? They will not release a GMO Cannabis variety without patenting it first, because then they could not patent it, think for one minute how they made GMO corn and soybeans, did they release the seeds prior to patenting? Of course not.
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
If one compares the "cannabis industry" with the "wine industry", one will discover many parallels during their pre-prohibition through post-prohibition time.

Today, both are "libatious-styled" industries operating within a natural "fragmented market" (no major players--just a hodgepodge of small to medium sized operations competing with each other).

In most fragmented marketplaces there is no national "brand loyalty" (consumer independence) and no real national "standards" or rules (allowing for individual innovation and instinctual experimentation, no "monkey see--monkey do").

There are also multiple distinctive regional marketplaces (what sells "here"--might not sell very well "there") and consumers are usually more willing to "try new things" (trial and error--a willingness to experiment), and as a bonus--expect a significant lower investment/cost for those entering/expanding within fragmented marketplace (aka barriers to entry).

What sets a small-time grower (vineyard) apart from another small-time grower (vineyard) in a fragmented marketplace? Usually things that can be differentiated: quality, variety, style, etc.

What sets a giant grower (vineyard) apart from another giant grower (vineyard) in a "consolidated marketplace"? Since the commodity is viewed to be more "homogeneous" (weed is a weed--grape is a grape), then it is: price, price, and price.

So...today we have a few big wineries/vineyards that "own" the national market (Gallo) and thousands of smaller/boutique wineries/vineyards that compete with each other in regional markets.

I submit--there will always be consumers who will "differentiate" their wine by vintages (quality) and a group that think the "best" wine is from jugs/boxes and limited to just two varieties: red and white (indica and sativa).

Ahh...the old "quality vs "quantity" matrix. Two different marketplaces...each with their own consumers and producers.

Last edited:

konopenko

Veteran
Monopolies are reducing economic welfare and if they dont come out of economies of scale-natural monopolies-then market is not efficient. Look if I were CEO of Bayer/Monsanto, I would surely like to take a nice chunk of cannabis market. Why? Market is growing/nice profits, legalisation is near and we have enough capital assets to take it all..
Look at "our friend" Soros..he is "never" wrong, he invested in cannabis industry years ago.
Dear cannafriends all cards are already in strong hands imo, legal market is lost for small players..I wouldnt be surprised if any pharma corporation already produced new cannabis genetics tolerant to new kind of ganja disease.

DocTim420

IMO...the only real monopoly in our current world is "government". There are alternative sources for almost all other goods and services.

BTW Soros nearly bankrupted England with his cleverness and that financial bet is source of his current power/wealth.

Pangea

Veteran
Why have so many of the people that believe that the Marijuana industry will be stolen also get banned? Is it a plot organized by Monsanto, or just because they were not reading the IC TOU? Or both?

corky1968
Banned

bluntmassa
Banned

One thing for sure, a single entity can't control the worldwide Cannabis industry, the world has to many different growers, and they will never get all the underground growers worldwide to stop using non-GMO seeds, it is impossible to control and regulate, anyone that thinks so is nuts I suspect.
I have no love of GMO Cannabis but it has never been made and sold yet, maybe we should worry about real problems we all face today like overpopulation? That is real and here today, unlike Monsanto Cannabis which does not exist as far as I know. If they want to make GMO Cannabis they will need GMO genes to insert into their Cannabis, where are the Monsanto patents for GMO genes to be used in Cannabis? They will not release a GMO Cannabis variety without patenting it first, because then they could not patent it, think for one minute how they made GMO corn and soybeans, did they release the seeds prior to patenting? Of course not.
-SamS

An aside:
Overpopulation explained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBT5EQt348

Man made global warning.
War(military industrial complex).
Corporatocracy, inverted totalitarianism.
Some real problems.

All these types of threads are quite sensational in their claims. It seems that people eat this stuff up as more of a form of entertainment, similar to people watching horror movies or going to haunted houses. Some seem to subconciously enjoy that edge of your seat, anxious feeling that some big bad force is coming to take away everything they value.

We shouldn't blindly let corporations and large governments do terrible things. However, we should also use logic and reason, and not use sensationalist forms of communication to do that. Working within the system will have much greater effect then the idealistic scrapping of our whole society to build some utopian future.

Most do not deny this worlds laws and systems are twisted in favor of the powerful, but when in history has that not been the case. I think our lives are much better today then anytime in Pre-WWII America. If you compare to all of history, there's no contest. We are living in the freaking future, get solar/wind energy, start your own business, and don't allow Monsanto or any other bully power to tell you what to do.

There will always be another Bogey men around the corner.

purple_man

Veteran
high fambz!

there is no need for gmo cannabis at this time if you ask me, because it's yet not being produced in monocultures on a scale of hundreds of hectars, hence no troubles with the corn borer as in maize -> no need for BT ready cannabis. out of the same reason, there is yet no need for round up ready cannabis.

but, if the laws keep changing towards "legalization" and "regulation", the production will increase, so a "need" for them might arise.

blessss
ps.: don't shoot the technology, point your guns at the users/abusers :)

DocTim420

Let's get put this on the table--for some, there is NOTHING that "corporations" (like Bayer, Monsanto, etc) can ever do that (in their eyes) that will ever be viewed as "honorable".

In there minds--evil never emanates from an individual, but from organized "faceless opponents" (vast right winged conspiracy, tea party, greedy corporations, big oil, etc).

Since the current "boogie man" target are "corporations", I remind everyone that a "corporation" is really is a "figment of our legal imagination". A "corporation" has no physical form (impossible to touch it, see it or talk to it), rather it exists in our minds because of a legal process that permits people to formally organize themselves in a legal association; capable of conducting business, entering contracts, to file and defend themselves in lawsuits, and to voluntary dissolve (something humans can not do...lol).

A "corporation" is an association of people that have paid a fee for the pleasure of organizing themselves as a "legal entity". It is a revenue generator for governments.

Yes, "corporations" do personal things like--buy tickets to sporting events and even "own luxury boxes", but it is "people" that attend the game--not the actual "Articles of Incorporation" document.

Instead of "evil corporations"--there are "evil people", and IMO--it would be more honest to discuss the "real evil" as opposed to the "perceived evil"...perhaps identifying the person(s) that are evil and discussing their actual "dirty deed(s)" might be a tad difficult to do--but it is more intellectually honest.

oldchuck

Veteran
Your point is merely a semantic dodge, Doc. The evil people you want to target are for the most part the ones who own everything and run everything, in the corporate world and in government. The systemic mechanisms they have put in place to continue to own everything and run everything are repressive and destructive for most people and for the planet that we are rapidly ruining.

DocTim420

Your point is merely a semantic dodge, Doc. The evil people you want to target are for the most part the ones who own everything and run everything, in the corporate world and in government. The systemic mechanisms they have put in place to continue to own everything and run everything are repressive and destructive for most people and for the planet that we are rapidly ruining.

Chuck--if your remove from your equation that I am targeting anyone (which I am not--just just trying to make others think a bit). I submit the real problem will always be sourced to a group of "people" or a "person"...not from an inanimate object or faceless organization without feelings.

That said--who paticularly is "rapidly ruining" the planet? I can not name anyone, can you? Not being a prick...just asking a question that may require smoking a fatty, a few sips of a Sculpin IPA....followed with a few strokes on the chin.

Who is the target? Not "what". (If you don't know who the enemy is...then how do you expect to win the battle?...Sorry, Art of War thing).

No offense intended...and I hope none was received.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chuck--if your remove from your equation that I am targeting anyone (which I am not--just just trying to make others think a bit). I submit the real problem will always be sourced to a group of "people" or a "person"...not from an inanimate object or faceless organization without feelings.

That said--who paticularly is "rapidly ruining" the planet? I can not name anyone, can you? Not being a prick...just asking a question that may require smoking a fatty, a few sips of a Sculpin IPA....followed with a few strokes on the chin.

Who is the target? Not "what". (If you don't know who the enemy is...then how do you expect to win the battle?...Sorry, Art of War thing).

No offense intended...and I hope none was received.

Ever heard of the Rothschilds family?
Well...

They are at the very top of the food chain.
Ever wonder why they're never in the news?
They control everything!

oldchuck

Veteran
At the risk of running seriously OT:

Apparently you have never heard of institutional racism, or corporate personhood, or the legal injunction that the only duty of a corporate board is to increase shareholder value, or the dictates of evangelical Christianity that deny science.

There are 7 billion people inhabiting this beautiful planet. I would identify perhaps 1% or 1/2 percent of that number as the people who own everything and run everything and are ruining our small blue ball. That amounts to many millions of people. Naming them all and identifying their crimes is beyond my capacity.

I expect the battle is pertty much already lost.

DocTim420

Let's take "institutional racism"...aka "equal opportunity", aka "diversity", aka "affirmative action", aka "race-based admissions"--

The whole notion is: a subclass of people require a "benefit" to compete with everyone else.

I reject that idea! But what institutions practice it? Government or "business"? I think government is the biggest culprit--as in state ran colleges/universities with their admission requirements.

Since the beginning of man...a few have always held/owned/controlled the wealth. Look at USA income taxation: top 1% pay 50% of all income taxes--the bottom 80% (you and me) will pay a measly 15% of all income taxes. Is that fair?

If you confiscate every home in the USA and sold it, you would have about $25.7 trillion....now compare that to the national debt of $20 trillion. The "give-away" philosophy can not be sustained.

BTW, I was a Corporate Director (member of the Board) for a public company for a number of years...yes, our duty was to increase shareholder value in a responsible/legal way. The duty of the CEO was to implement the policies and vision expressed by the Board of Directors (BOD). The duty of the officers of the company were to assist the CEO in accomplishing those objectives. The duty of the employees were to do what their employment contract required. Nothing sinister here.

You are right, if you capitulate without drawing your sword, the battle is already lost.

oldchuck

Veteran
Well, my friend, I have been fighting these wars since 1965 when I stood up against racism and the Vietnam war. The environment came shortly thereafter. My sword these days is blunt and broken and I am getting old.

Clearly you do not understand institutional racism and I will not try to inform you.

I am not even slightly surprised you are a corporate dude. Just what wars are you fighting?

DocTim420

Chuck,
It's OK if you do not want to articulate your ideas about institutional racism, some of the best ideas stay hidden inside our minds.

Definition--

Institutional racism is a pattern of social institutions— such as governmental organizations, schools, banks, and courts of law — giving negative treatment to a group of people based on their race.

Right?

Ahhh, what war am I fighting--none. How many wars I have fought? Dozens--and they take a lot out of you (physically and financially). But if you ask me how many battles I am fighting right now--I would say dozens. How many in my lifetime? Like you, I am an old fucker so I guestimate a few dozen new battles were common each day. IMO, "conflict" is part of life--unfortunately, not everyone can handle it...hence the reason many "avoid conflict" at any cost or go on crazy hyperventilating rants when the don't get there way.

I have learned more in life working on issues/matters involving "conflict"--especially when you are presented with "no good answers"--just 100% "bad alternatives". Your task is to select the "best alternative" from that list of "bad answers". Mundane tasks are boring for me and have taught me very little--I thrive on the "action".

BTW--I consulted and was good at problem solving (hence my nickname "doc") and the few engagements where we dealt with "corporate dudes", we told them what to do--not the other way around.

Yep I made mountains of money walking the "tightrope" (hired to perform tasks others find "offensive", difficult decision making, standing against the "status quo", problem solving, etc), but the game I played was not without great risk: if you are wrong, don't expect to be around to play the game tomorrow.

IMO, "protesting" and "successfully affecting change" are not the same thing.

Last edited:

konopenko

Veteran
Doc420 they bought you and you know it! Targeting 1% is still quite impossible even if we had Cheka2.0...so your war is to serve them for..pile..of money, but hey they are printing $ 24/7
:) Good job here is your snackie!
Imo Bayer payed way to much for Monsanto-brand with worst name ever. Sind alles veruckt?
Is there any synergy in this merge, I cant see one as economist. I only see capitalism is taking all masks off and shit looks disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies.