What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sun System 315 LEC Ceramic Metal Halide ~ VERTICAL?

borntoinsulate

Hi All
I just saw a garden grown under 4 sun system 315 LEC and I am a believer of those lights. The results were phenomenal. I'm finally getting a go at my own garden and i definitely want to use those bulbs. I want to go bare bulb and vertical though. I'm having a hard time teaching myself how to make the socket setup for the bare bulb vertical though. And where to get the parts and what ballast. Does anyone sell a setup like that or do i have to figure out how to run it myself?
Thanks for any input
Will

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
go buy a Nanolux fixture and a Phillips bulb. If you want to remote the ballast you'll need an extension cord as well. The Nanolux fixture has the bulb oriented vertically, if you want to go bare bulb just don't install the reflector on the fixture.

There are cheaper chinese units for sale but the ballasts aren't easily remoteable and the bulbs are oriented horizontally. The nanolux is a quality fixture at reasonable price.

If anybody has an equal DIY setup I'd love to know about it.

borntoinsulate

go buy a Nanolux fixture and a Phillips bulb. If you want to remote the ballast you'll need an extension cord as well. The Nanolux fixture has the bulb oriented vertically, if you want to go bare bulb just don't install the reflector on the fixture.

There are cheaper chinese units for sale but the ballasts aren't easily remoteable and the bulbs are oriented horizontally. The nanolux is a quality fixture at reasonable price.

If anybody has an equal DIY setup I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for the reply
But what does remoteable mean???

gr866

Veteran
I run duel stacked Nanolux 315'x, love them.
They are the Nanolux 315W CMH NA, very simple to separate the ballast and fixture. Yes as
Dawn Patrol said you run a remote ballast you have to buy an extension.
GR

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
im going to go with a dual 315 my next round prolly with this ballast
https://www.amazon.com/C-M-H-630-Re...56211&sr=1-14&keywords=CMH+Grow+Light+ballast
41GshlQoXVL.jpg

gonna run em in a cooltube or more likely bareback with remote
i cant frickin wait - right now im at 1600w hps and man id love to drop 8-10*
in my room ima run vert as well

i would love to see others vertical setups using these cmh'
heres my current setup

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Jhhnn

Veteran
im going to go with a dual 315 my next round prolly with this ballast
https://www.amazon.com/C-M-H-630-Re...56211&sr=1-14&keywords=CMH+Grow+Light+ballast
View Image
gonna run em in a cooltube or more likely bareback with remote
i cant frickin wait - right now im at 1600w hps and man id love to drop 8-10*
in my room ima run vert as well

i would love to see others vertical setups using these cmh'
heres my current setup

View Image View Image View Image View Image

I'm sure your temps will come down somewhat if you replace the 1000w with two 315's. If yield suffers, it'll be slight & probably not at all. If you replace the 600w with another 315 temps will go down more but I think yield will be noticeably less. 315's are really good but not twice as good watt for watt, I think.

I run our little personal grow when we're awake, not overnight, work with the plants when the light is on. I'm consequently very averse to open lamps. They'll burn the shit out of you if you get careless. Instantly.

I'm also thinking of using a 315 along with a 600w HPS (usually rock a 250w mh conversion bulb, just cos it's sitting there unused otherwise) my question is (sorry, not to hijack) would one be suitable, along with a 600w sodium in a 4x4 tent? Temps will be fine just wondering about light intensity and bleaching etc

Chur

Sleeper7784

im honestly thinking 3 stacked up , in cool tubes , on a light rail will crush my room into super star levels

To cool tube or not to cool tube........ I bought a cool tube and thought I was going to use it and never did. Vertical atleast. Ended up using it in the veg department.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm also thinking of using a 315 along with a 600w HPS (usually rock a 250w mh conversion bulb, just cos it's sitting there unused otherwise) my question is (sorry, not to hijack) would one be suitable, along with a 600w sodium in a 4x4 tent? Temps will be fine just wondering about light intensity and bleaching etc

Chur

What I'm sure of is that twin 315's in a 4x4 space will do a really good job.

What I'm sure of is that twin 315's in a 4x4 space will do a really good job.

Yeah I'm just unsure of the buds the colour spectrum will produce. Pretty sure I can only get 4200k? in my corner of the world. And I don't want to drop all that coin at once, but I am pretty much thinking of moving in that direction eventually

Jhhnn

Veteran
Yeah I'm just unsure of the buds the colour spectrum will produce. Pretty sure I can only get 4200k? in my corner of the world. And I don't want to drop all that coin at once, but I am pretty much thinking of moving in that direction eventually

Lots of people mix lamp spectrums. I think that more blue encourages shorter internodes & that's about it. It maybe brings out the purples & maroons in maturity a little more

I went from a 1000w hps to a 1000w dual arc lamp & then to the twin 315's & that's what I noticed in the process other than less heat & lower electric bills with the 315's. I'm sure your mixed spectrum setup would work just fine if it doesn't generate too much heat for you to shed readily.

Lots of people mix lamp spectrums. I think that more blue encourages shorter internodes & that's about it. It maybe brings out the purples & maroons in maturity a little more

I went from a 1000w hps to a 1000w dual arc lamp & then to the twin 315's & that's what I noticed in the process other than less heat & lower electric bills with the 315's. I'm sure your mixed spectrum setup would work just fine if it doesn't generate too much heat for you to shed readily.

I'm waiting on an email back from supplier about hanging vertical and if it's all cool I'll drop the $400. Figuring it should be all good but not actually sure about how the light fits into socket. Haven't looked into it yet, just looks like it bolts in sort of?

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm waiting on an email back from supplier about hanging vertical and if it's all cool I'll drop the $400. Figuring it should be all good but not actually sure about how the light fits into socket. Haven't looked into it yet, just looks like it bolts in sort of?

Genuine Philips 315's are U (universal) rated, meaning they can be operated in any position. PGZ lamp holders are a polarized twistlock configuration. Insert the 2 slightly different feet on the lamp into the 2 slightly different holes in the socket & turn 90 degrees clockwise until the pins bottom out in the keyholes. Secure & easy. Piece o' cake once you notice that the feet are different sizes.

PGZ & PGZX lampholders are slightly different. Double envelope open fixture rated 315's will fit both. Single envelope enclosed fixture rated 315's will only fit PGZ lamp holders.

Latest posts

Latest posts