What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perennial Cannabis plant

agrocultor

Hello there people, I'm a long time lurker and was having some thoughts into the biology of cannabis, and thought someone here could have some answers.
I've read that it is possible to re-veg a cannabis plant many times by manipulating the light period it receives. As cannabis is an annual plant, "designed" to produce seeds and wither, I wondered how that would affect the plant. Would the plant grow stronger by the time, would it produce thicker stems and fatter buds, and how many years could it last in this unnatural state? Could it last "forever"?

Has anyone thought about this? Any insights?

:cathug::thank you:

organicganjaguy

what happens is the plant is changed from 12/12 back to 18/6 light cycle, usually the plant would be harvested and some small lower buds left on, after about 1 month veg shoots will come right out of the buds, they almost look like sprouted seeds, this is normally done when you don't want to lose a strain or pheno and you could then clone these shoots and use the plant as a mother or you can re flower. if you re flower your going to want to heavily prune it as you will have hundreds of veg shoots and would get a very bushy plant, but maybe thats what you want.
I have done some experimenting with a light cycle I call 4, 6's to force re veg faster, you do 6 hours on 6 hours off making the plant think it has had 2 days in one and speeding up the re veg.
anyway they plant will change slightly after you re veg it, usually for the better

hellfire

You could try it as many times as you want. Its just that the time factor doesn't make sense for optimal production. I think it would be harder to maintain a healthy root system for 'forever' than having any change in growth or vigor of the plant via revegging many times.

organicganjaguy

first plant I ever revegged was a tiny afghan, it would grow to about a foot, after it revegged it would grow big and bushy but with the same bud, I was using products to help recharge the plant so maybe that helped too.
I have wondered if in warm climates this could be done, harvest the buds and leave lower branches to come back each year

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I think it was the Domina that took over 10 years to reveg properly. For most of that time the slightest upset would trigger flowering. Like carry it between rooms.. flowering. Take a cutting and the cutting would flower and take weeks to stop. Move a flowering cutting.. you have as good as lost it. It tasted great though. Coca Cola weed. Just for the taste of it. After 12 years I entrusted it to a friend. It was gone in a cycle :(

I suggest revegging when the plants still alright. This was done to a stump when we realised how nice the smoke was.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I revegged and flowered a blueberry plant six times. Usually after three they struggle. The flowers are the same every time and any changes I would think would be environment related.

I have found a few things that inhibit revegging. Transplanting or disturbing the roots. I used to transplant and give the plants a dose of N and put them under veg light cycle. It works fine but seems to take longer and some plants just died off.

Giving them a large dose of N the same time as switching to veg light cycle. Doing this they throw shoots quickly but then just stall for a few weeks and grow wonky leaves once growth resumes.

Now the method I use is to leave a good amount of bud on the lowers, a good watering with PH proper water and move to veg room. After 5-7 days of light cycle acclimation I feed the plant 50/50 veg and bloom with a good carbo-load. The next feeding is straight full strength veg nutrient.

Works like a charm. When I have enough growth to take cuttings I will then transplant.