What's new

Alternating Nodes

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Several times when topping plants branches that were growing nodes in pairs the resulting new branches have alternating nodes. It's good to have more tops, but now there is less action below.

Is there a workaround for removing the apical bud where the new branches continue to grow nodes in pairs?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I noticed from seed on some plants by topping a branch just above the last node pair (cutting off only the alternating node portion) the resulting new side branches will continue growing new nodes in pairs.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Opposite nodes occur in immature plants. Plants from seed have opposite nodes until they become mature. Then the nodes alternate. When I have seedlings to train I top them above the 5th node to develop four branches. As they grow out from the topping I top the four branches to develop eight branches.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I topped to get more branches and tops but they result in alternating nodes. Do you mean cutting the new alternating node branch at the new single node to get pairs going again?

Interesting Buzz, I've always started after the second or third pair to get more branches closer to the base. Maybe I should rethink this.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I usually let the seed plants grow naturally until the main stem and side branches begin alternating nodes, then cut just above the last node pair on the main stem and all side branches all at once. I imagine its eliminating the hormones built up in the apical shoots signaling maturity until it can build back up in a few weeks.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
My understanding is that the apical bud is the plants main chance at reproduction. Loss or damage to the apical bud causes a survival reaction with hormones to produce replacements.

One of my thoughts was that there might be a better bud structure if the tops were based on node pairs as opposed to alternating. If they shift to alternating with maturity anyway that would make it a moot point. I'll have to keep a closer eye this time around.

Another factor is what you train for. I'm in a greenhouse with a 10' height restriction. I try to keep them low and bushy with the most possible tops.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Once the plants reach maturity there are no more alternating nodes. Opposite nodes on Cannabis are only present before the plant reaches maturity.
attachment.php

Some growers top above the 2nd or 3 nodes. I top above the 5th because most seedling plants have nodes 4,5,&6 very close together. Topping above 5 gives a good sturdy stem and node 4 will grow perpendicular to node 5. That's the framework.

Once the plant has alternating nodes any pruning I do is geared towards thinning lower growth and pruning branches to direct them away from the center of the plant.

Consider the plant photo below with alternating nodes. Imagine now that it is growing horizontally to the right of the frame. Axillary buds will determine the direction of new growth when a top is removed. If the top is removed on the plant in the photo, new growth will emerge growing away from the center of the pot. That opens the center of the plant to more light. If the top is cut above the 2nd node the axillary bud growth would grow towards the center and that clogs up the center.
attachment.php

I like to keep the center open so multiple tops have room to fill the center.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• opposite.JPG
    opposite.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 41
  • topping.jpg
    topping.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P3231938.jpg
    P3231938.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P6021982.jpg
    P6021982.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 57
  • P6021981.jpg
    P6021981.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 36

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Interesting. This plant is five weeks old. It's been topped aggressively starting at the second node. All nodes were parallel from the get go. Same strain, my own mutt, some of these will shift from parallel to alternating after a topping. In fact there's a branch in back that looks like it might go alternating. I hope it's a female.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts