What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Propagation of store-bought bennies?

F2F

Hello all,

I’ve done a little searching on here and couldn’t find much so alas, a new thread.

Someone tipped me off to the Korean natural farming techniques in a separate thread :)tiphat:) and I am intrigued to say the least. I’ve begun making lactobacillus serums, and IMO (indigenous microorganisms) cultures.

Great white, Oregonism XL, etc have so many great user testimonies but they are expensive - have any of you propagated these for personal use and what is your experience?

I innoculated Promix with some additional Oregonism XL recently as an “IMO 1” culture (actually an “EMO”- exogenous microorganism). Starting to get my white fuzzies now, and plan on expanding to IMO 2 for use on my compost pile and also as a soil drench when I transplant to the guerilla patch.

Love to hear your thoughts or experiences!
Cheers
F2F

squatty

I have not propagated store bought microorganisms myself. I've seen pictures of attempts at it that did not turn out so well. The pictures I've seen were from a KNF Hawaii group on facebook. Lots of good information available there or on the KNF Hawaii web page (naturalfarminghawaii dot net.)

How did your IMO turn out?

F2F

By the looks and smell it turned out well but the proof will be in the putting. I’m going to turn the compost pile later this week and mix in my IMO and LAB, should speed things up. And of course, I’ll be adding it to my OD holes in a few weeks at transplant. We shall see!

———————————————————-
Edit: the KNF group (Chris Trump) is awesome and exactly where I’ve been gathering all my info!

Cheers
F2F

Last edited:

F2F

Hey there MGT,

Didn’t take any pics but it turned out pretty good. I got a good grow of mostly white fuzzies. Also had some green and orange fungus grow out to. Everything smelled sweet and like that good fungus odor so I’m sure it wasn’t anaerobes. Whipped it up into IMO2 and put it and some lb serum into my compost pile. Seemed like it accelerated things over the next couple weeks compared to what it had been doing.

Cheers
F2F

F2F

Should be as simple as matching the food source and cleanliness used by the producer.

I’m sure the companies are much more efficient, but not much rigor involved for the DIY approach.

I took promix (with myco), inoculated with Oregonism XL and Great White, covered with a bed of half-cooked rice, capped with cheesecloth, and put at ~70C in the dark for a week or so. This is more or less a KNF (Korean natural farming) methodology for mycorrhizae prop. Came out looking and smelling great! Took the rice/fungus off and added brown sugar = IMO2. I

Cheers,
F2F

F2F

Right on Bigsmooth. Check out KNF Chris trump as well (but she’s hotter :biggrin:).

h.h.

Veteran
I often use a little Espoma in my fermentations. I like to think it adds microbes. Can’t say absolutely.

I abandoned Great White years ago. To much money for too little boost.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
in the early stages of lacto seems easy. most everything set for imo's i wanna abandon great white to that shits expensive

F2F

I often use a little Espoma in my fermentations. I like to think it adds microbes. Can’t say absolutely.

I abandoned Great White years ago. To much money for too little boost.

h.h. - What kind of fermentation’s do you do and how do you apply them? Always curious what others do and how they benefit.

Cheers
F2F

KIS

I did a video with the microscope and brewing Mammoth P with different food sources. If you go on youtube it's pretty easy to find using the term "brew mammoth P"

Klompen

If you want insane fungus growth in your medium, I strongly recommend cocoa mulch. Its crazy how good that stuff is as a medium for mycellium.

I have had good luck with Jobes and Espoma bennies, but honestly the best teas I ever brewed were using genuine old-growth forest mulch as a starter.

F2F

Interesting Klompen, that is the first Ive heard of cocoa mulch and first ive heard of it in the context of myco growth.

Indeed I have collected and used old forest growth for tea and propagation. Nature is entirely free and does a great job! I always wondered the best type of collection site for growing with cannabis.

Peace,
F2F

Klompen

I will post a pic of it in a little while. I've never seen fungus in a grow like I'm seeing off this mulch. Doesn't seem to be causing any problems at all though. This is overall one of the healthiest and least problematic grows I have ever done.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's a thread on here about a study to propagate microbes from store bought inocculants. TLDR most are inert.

Then there's Tim Wilson's thoughts on the matter, and I hope I am paraphrasing correctly as I know he hates being referenced incorrectly.

Your substrate as a whole determines what microbes prosper, regardless of input. Most of what you're pouring in, from tea to packaged powders simply becomes food for the already established community of microbes determined by previous inputs(potting mix, compost, soil)/environmental factors(moisture, temp, etc).

Much like the probiotic industry for humans, it's not what you add to the environment but what the environment will allow to prosper.

F2F

Klompen - that is notable for sure. And the plants like it huh? Must be all good then.

Phatty- you’re killin me brother!! :bigeye:

Mikell- that theory sounds logical and there is some truth to it for sure. My profession is heavily focused on animal nutrition, specifically gut health, and we have a similar approach - shape the environment (pH, substrate, etc) to modulate the microbiota in number and profile. Perhaps the great white, oregonism xl, etc doesn’t grow or dominate in a living soil, but maybe in an “attempt” to establish it (molasses etc) you are feeding the native bennies and getting the benefit still ? I can definitely say in a soilless media I see the mycos establish hyphae and contribute positively to the plant.

Great discussion guys. Thanks!

Cheers
F2F