What's new

Help! hermie issue

Yuno.Who

High IC!
How is everyone? I hope safe and green....

Came home from work today and felt real good, the weather was beautiful, heck traffic wasnt even bad.Then I was taking care of my daily duties around the house. Helped my other half cook dinner, took that trash out, sow a few popped seeds for the new run.....everything was going great.

THEN I go into my tent and have a peak at the ladies. temps look good 77F and 33% RH.....one of my girls had some weird yellow bananas hanging from underneath bud sites. i take a closer look and sure enough, looks like we got a hermie.

Im not sure the difference between a maffy and a hermie, but my plant originally showed obvious signs of being a female (long white pistols) and when she started to crown and swell all was well. now under the crown of pistols there are these yellow pollen sacks.

Only on 1 girl, she was doing excellent actually, nice structure and tons of crystals already (about 3 weeks into flower) I dont really want to get rid of her or him or it...ugh still salty about it.

worst case scenerio what could happen? it will still produce some potent buds, probably full of seeds but potent none the less, right?

I was thinking of taking her out and carefully removing the sacks and sticking her back in for a few more days and see what happens. my girl thinks i should get it out of there and set something else up just for the one plant. outdoor season is lurking around the corner, could transplant outside. but i dont know what to do. im so torn lol what a crush of a good day.

Should I
A: cut my losses and cull the hermie
B: keep removing the sacks and see what happens?
C: transplant outside and hope for the best?

I really dont want to have the thing pollinate everything else in the tent though...if someone could help me and give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.

greenpinky

Ya man u pull those sack off more will pop up best thing to do is remove it or turn down ur wind speed. So pallens not blowing everywhere. But its a shame to hack it down cuz the bud will come out the same just got a few seeds.I don't see any difference in potency or taste, but u can pullenate buds almost done and u will have babe seeds that are impossible to separate

W

wilbur

for me, seeded dope is not as good as unseeded.

I have never been able to prevent a sex-altered plant from producing more male flowers so I pull them out. they WILL fertilise almost all of yr others.

a sex-altered plant is a useful seed resource tho' if you have the option of planting out.

while seed from sex-altered will yield a higher percentage of female plants (thus the term 'feminised' seed) bear in mind this seed will also produce a higher percentage of sex-altered plants than if you'd fertilised with a pure male.

cheers!

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
If you don't minds seeds, or worse, seed goo(undeveloped seeds that you can't pick out of a bud because their not seeds yet) then go for option B, otherwise option A sounds good.(not that it sounds good).
Fuck it, option C for the win.

Yuno.Who

AHH I was afraid I would hear that. She was such a beast! lol. i dont mind fully mature seeds, they can get tossed when im smoking. But like you said if it pollinates any buds that are close to finish Ill be stuck with the soft white ones that are hard to spot and can really kill a joint.

Thanks for the fast response my friend. Im going to sleep on it, have no choice really Ive been tampering with them right up until the lights went off. i did put it as for away from the fan and on the opposite direction, sort of segregated it from the rest. im hoping for the best man. Thank you again.

Has anyone heard of any success when picking the sacks off?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
AHH I was afraid I would hear that. She was such a beast! lol. i dont mind fully mature seeds, they can get tossed when im smoking. But like you said if it pollinates any buds that are close to finish Ill be stuck with the soft white ones that are hard to spot and can really kill a joint.

Thanks for the fast response my friend. Im going to sleep on it, have no choice really Ive been tampering with them right up until the lights went off. i did put it as for away from the fan and on the opposite direction, sort of segregated it from the rest. im hoping for the best man. Thank you again.

Has anyone heard of any success when picking the sacks off?

When the nanners come on day 65 and I'm pulling on day 70, yeah I've had success. Then again, I didn't pick them so...

Yuno.Who

If you don't minds seeds, or worse, seed goo(undeveloped seeds that you can't pick out of a bud because their not seeds yet) then go for option B, otherwise option A sounds good.(not that it sounds good).
Fuck it, option C for the win.

ROFL... i like the way you think. Talk about dilemma....yikes!

I never tasted difference in seeded bud than bud without seeds, i think personally its your mind that tricks you into believing there is a difference. But it is a pain in the ass to pull the seeds from the bud when breaking up.

Im not sure if I'd rather deal with the pain in the ass now while its flowering or later when its all dried and cured.

will it really ruin the rest of the crop?

Thanks again and cant thank enough for the info and support guys.

Option C... if she's already producing nanners at week 3, you're never going to be able to keep up with the "nanner factory" by week 8.

Yuno.Who

When the nanners come on day 65 and I'm pulling on day 70, yeah I've had success. Then again, I didn't pick them so...

Good deal. This happen to me on the last run, i think its the strain. Only last time they were not nanners like im seeing now. They were more like little balls, so im guessing i caught onto them a lot sooner than i did in this run. really sucks though. Im sure everyone can relate. Really spoils a day bro.

Yuno.Who

Option C... if she's already producing nanners at week 3, you're never going to be able to keep up with the "nanner factory" by week 8

Good point. so there's not a way to slow down production of the nanners?

If I bring her outside...I live in NE so Im a long ways away from flowering....would it start to reveg and switch cycle? and if it did, how much stress are we talking?

Good point. so there's not a way to slow down production of the nanners?

If I bring her outside...I live in NE so Im a long ways away from flowering....would it start to reveg and switch cycle? and if it did, how much stress are we talking?

Unless there happens to be light leaks or some other type of stress that you can rectify, there isn't alot that can be done naturally to slow down the nanner production. There are products that you can spray, but nothing I would suggest for use on a plant you intend to consume. (Furthermore, it may be too late at this point for the spray to help)

Presuming that the plant is Indica dominant- If the plant is going to go outside, its may be far enough along that it will finish flowering, but I would restrict the light cycle just to be sure. You can use a tarp or put the plant in a large CLEAN garbage can to keep the light cycle correct. You can also get creative about where you put the plant so that it naturally will get the right amount of light.

Best of luck, and let us know the results! :plant grow::plant grow:

vangaurd

this is what i do and it works pretty well for ME, if you dont want to cut her down it is possible to keep the sacks at bay by removing them. I personally use a hobby knife as not to put too much pressure on them where they would burst. It is a chore to do and i have only done it once. I have no idea how many plants you have but if you only have a few losing one plant is a big deal, if you have multiple I wouldnt risk pollinating the others. But thats just me. Good luck!

sprinkl

Veteran
I have a hermy plant outside right now, since a week or so.
It was at week 6. I figured if I want seedless bud, which I do, it was either chopping or placing it outside. The worst part is that it can ruin your other fine plants by pollinating them too. Had to do the same last year and it was spring already, the plant started revegging before it got to finish but it still packed on weight a good bit while it was outside.
If she is herming massively you might be better of chopping as the increase in weight will be mostly seeds. When she's outside, it's safe to pluck of sacks and see how she progresses, and decide if you'll keep her or not.

Yuno.Who

well....I ended up chopping the hermi....oh well..lol.
I went in to take a look at the nanners because i have been trying to keep up with picking them off. well i noticed more nanners on a baby i just put in there a week or so ago. i didnt want to risk everything in the tent so i just got rid of it, took the little baby and placed her, or it now :dunno:, where it will stay until it finishes.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions i really appreciate it. I will try and get some pics up as soon as i can get my hands on a camera worthy enough.

what kind, or type or how many megapixels would i need to produce some satisfactory pictures?

whatthe215

Veteran
well....I ended up chopping the hermi....oh well..lol.
I went in to take a look at the nanners because i have been trying to keep up with picking them off. well i noticed more nanners on a baby i just put in there a week or so ago. i didnt want to risk everything in the tent so i just got rid of it, took the little baby and placed her, or it now :dunno:, where it will stay until it finishes.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions i really appreciate it. I will try and get some pics up as soon as i can get my hands on a camera worthy enough.

what kind, or type or how many megapixels would i need to produce some satisfactory pictures?

It's real unfortunate you lost her :(

I use my camera phone and have to downsize a lot. But if you're talking about upclose macro shots, get a nice DSLR (digital single lens reflex.) Although, point and shoots may be able to give you the same quality these days, it's been a couple years since I bought a camera. :)

Da_AntMan_303

you might want to wipe down the inside of your grow tent with a light bleach solution to make sure there's no pollen stuck on the inside to "pollinate" when you fire up your fans again. Just a thought.

Yuno.Who

you might want to wipe down the inside of your grow tent with a light bleach solution to make sure there's no pollen stuck on the inside to "pollinate" when you fire up your fans again. Just a thought.

Lol....you couldn't be more right. I was fooling myself thinking I was some type of ninja; taking a huge plant covered in nanners out of a crowded tent without spilling pollen everywhere.

:laughing:....I don't know what I was thinking lol. I ended up getting everything in there pollinated. Seeds, everywhere. Lol. Oh well, I laugh at myself now and jokingly call it a "breeding" experiment. Makes me feel better.

The weed was still quality, just takes about 30 minutes to get all the seeds out when rolling a joint.

Thanks for the advice I will get on that ASAP as I have about 1 more week until the flower tent gets filled again.

Latest posts

Latest posts