What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do any of yall use home monitering security systems?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I was wondering if i should get ADT and the whole monthly subscription BS, or just install my own alarm and motion sensors on all my windows, etc.

i have pets though, and im worried that if they set the alarm off, the cops come, find my grow...boom done.

is there a way around this?

cfo

I just had ADT install a home security system in my house. The motion detectors also are heat sensitive. From their website....
Pets and Motion Sensors

There’s no need to worry if you have pets. Motion sensors are designed to disregard movements of pets. Depending on weight, your dog or cat can move about freely in any room, and you won’t be startled in the middle of the night because a pet activated the alarm.

I can't verify this as my dog will not be in the house until the snow flies. ADT is a good company. I believe the signage alone will deter most would-be burglars.

O

onehitjake

This is something I'm curious about as well. I know I at least want cameras with dialers, but a window/door entry that alarms only me would be perfect as well.

I once knew someone who had a sign on their back door which was made by Smith and Wesson.
"nothing in here is worth dying for"
I do not believe he was a grower though, just a bad area.
actually, I don't even know if they offer that sign anymore.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I saw a sign in someones yard titled Castle Doctrine with a picture of a large pistol below it.

A big dog is usually enough deterent to steer the thieves to easier targets.

Thieves pick easy targets around here, criminal immigrants.

mrdizzle

ADT will call the cops if you dont pick up when they call, Im not sure but maybe you can tell them do not call the cops ever

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
I once knew someone who had a sign on their back door which was made by Smith and Wesson.
"nothing in here is worth dying for"
I do not believe he was a grower though, just a bad area.
actually, I don't even know if they offer that sign anymore.
It's still around.
Sweet sign

Attachments

• NothingInsideIsWorthDyingFor.jpg
    NothingInsideIsWorthDyingFor.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 9
R

rick shaw

a alarm or report of suspicious activity is cause for investigation.Spend your money on steel framed door.

dtfsux

the alarm is monitored and you set the protocol for what happens when the alarm is triggered. You should be able to set up instructions that do not call 911 under any circumstance. That may look a little weird though.

You also are relying on some $8/hr employee to follow directions.

I had monitored alarm systems for my business for years. A police response will usually bring 2-3 cars and guns drawn. A false alarm will require a quick look around of the premises and some proof you belong there.

If nobody is there, they will walk around check all the windows, doors, etc and make sure the property is secure and chalk it up to a false alarm

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I have been working on this a lot lately, and have decided that a security system has too many components and needs to be encompassed by a single system.

Most (probably not all) of us are looking for:

Email or text alerts when an exterior motion sensor is tripped
Email or text alerts when an interior motion sensor is tripped
The ability to record intruders on video, both inside and out.
The ability to save that video offsite (cops will seize any/all onsite computers and security DVR's)
The ability to be notified when a smoke detector or CO detector goes off
Backup battery power for all key systems
The ability to remotely turn the system(s) on and off, so they don't record your presence or visits.
Allows for remote viewing/monitoring of cameras from smartphone.
All exterior pieces need to be 100% weatherproof and inconspicuous.
Secure and preferably encrypted data
DIY installation
Doesn't call the cops, ever!

So far I'm looking at two systems:

The one for inside the grow: http://247ecam.com

Standalone system that uses a SIM card (from burner phone) to text you a picture if the motion sensor is tripped. Quick and easy. It also has a bunch of add-on sensors, like door sensors, water sensors, smoke and CO (and natural gas leak) sensors. This would be the interior system, only goes off if something is happening inside the room.

The exterior system will probably be either a PC-based or standalone DVR, with cameras outside to capture most access routes, equipped with IR LED's for nightvision. The catch is getting this system to upload motion-activated videos directly to an offsite server for review later. Storing any data locally is worthless if the DVR/PC is taken.

cfo

I'm an outdoor grower and I only grow one plant per year. I don't keep anything illegal out in plain site so even if the cops have to come in and look around I'm not too worried. If I was an indoor grower having ADT would not be an option. I like the signs that VTA posted. I'm from Minnesota. When Jesse Ventura was our governor, he had signs on his house of a handgun that said "we don't call 911". Even the dumbest thief should be able to understand that.

biteme

if you're going to invest the dough then go with the pros. and not necessarily adt, there's a lot of them out there so hire one that investigates alarms before the popo become involved. and do keep in mind that sometimes the police are the final solution without your permission.

thankfully, i live in a city where my front door is seldom locked and those that employ alarm systems do so for a particular need and not as a general practise. peace-biteme

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
thanks for the help lazyman..yeah that system looks really good! i really dont want a monthly service fee...i dont neeed 24/7 monitering.

i just want something that makes alot of noise if the motion sensors on my windows or doors is broken. and i want something that will snap covert pictures of any burglars while they are in the house.

ive been saving up for this purchase and i wanna do it right.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
By the way, if you look up curtilage laws in most states, if you DONT have any "No trespassing" signs outside your property, cops can walk right up and trespass like anyone else. A gate is best, but if you can't have a gate you MUST get some no trespassing signs! I think the gun ones and "my scary dog will eat you" signs are cute, but mean nothing to cops (except now they will come with guns drawn.)

Be smart, be careful!

ADT definitely sounds like an odd idea to me. In order to even approach 100% security from police visits, you'd have to literally tell them "under no circumstances are you to send the police". How weird would that look?

No, I think the DIY approach would be best.

they do have camera systems that will snap pics on motion detectors and automatically send pics to a secure server for uou to see mabey that could help . would love to have a nice setup like lazy mentioned but not cheap

Latest posts

Latest posts