What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights types 1-11

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Thats whatsup. I like that you make sure to place credit with Herbie. I read or heard that the original #5 was made in Hawaii with Murphys afghan Greg sent a buddy or whatever. Then that cross was sent back to Greg.

Do you know what was originally sent to Nevil that piqued his interest in the NL crew?

Nevils NL5 was selected from seed he got from the Indian/NL crew yeah?

How did the NL#1 line end up getting Nevils Mazar in it, was it with seed the NL crew purchased from one of Nevils advertisements or did they share seed with one another as a part of a trade/swap type of deal?

If NL#1 is a cross of Murphys afghan and Nevils Mazar, I am trying to sort that timeline of seeds being sent from NL crew to Nevil and where/how Nevils Mazar found it's way into the NL#1. Which came first, chicken or the egg type thing. Thanks for the concise comment, that was pretty easy to digest. Much love

Greg's stories are a bit murky but from what I understand the NL crew original sent Nevil seeds of their Steve Murphy crosses (Pre NL branding).

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Also, do you know if Sensi's Fruity Juice comes from any of the seed Greg sent the Sensi crew? It's listed as Thai x Afghani and that's pretty much what one of the NL lines would be if I'm making any sense of this at all.

And it's said to be some good stuff, and NL crew had the goods. Murphys afghan and Murphy don't seem to get the credit they deserve. Seems like a fundamental part of these lines came from his work and his afghan. Much love

Steve Murphy didn't breed the Afghan, he just had the seeds.

Fruity Juice aka Juicy Fruit was made by Nevil, using a fruity Thai and NL.

sbeanonnamellow

Interesting. Appreciate you putting that info out there. Do you know which Thai was used or which version of NL was used in the Fruity Juice?

Now I can't help but wonder who made the Afghan Steve Murphy was using and passing around.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Interesting. Appreciate you putting that info out there. Do you know which Thai was used or which version of NL was used in the Fruity Juice?

Now I can't help but wonder who made the Afghan Steve Murphy was using and passing around.

The thai was just some fruity smelling thai Nevil had around and the NL was the #5 Sensi had/sold.

Steve Murphy's Afghani was rumored to be a Kandahar Afghani, now which Afghani farmer it came from is unknown.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi broz'

The 1-11 notion when you do exotic F1 with landraces is so true, i even would say 1-111 if you find some extra potent specimens as parents at start.

When you think that the NL was selected from its indica side and not from its sativa the diversity notion is just half, and again divided by two if you consider the opposite sex from Afghan x Thai and not Thai x Afghan! + it's without knowing that Afghan farmers did some strong F1 to create their famous Mazari line centuries ago, i would say that they just preferred to use the sativa as male btw. (That's why the NL also could be pure Mazari?)

In that sense i think that the real NL legend high is like in extinction or dead nowadays, it just needs to be bred back to sativa and THCV imho.

Perso i prefered restart all the magic from the source and i'm not disappointed, (Thai x Mazar) x (Mazar x Swazi) or (Mazar x Lambsbread) is my next project for 2021 will see. All those hybrids are already done and honestly some of the best of them all reminds me the NL or Skunk from the 90s, just maybe more potent and tasty according my Breizh touch... :D Peace

Canna-bill

The thai was just some fruity smelling thai Nevil had around and the NL was the #5 Sensi had/sold.

Steve Murphy's Afghani was rumored to be a Kandahar Afghani, now which Afghani farmer it came from is unknown.

Hi RF, I dont think sensi ever sold a NL#5 strain, it just seems to be a common misconception. Infact they just sold a 'northern lights' strain, in the beginning that was nl5 x nl1 but that quickly changed to nl5xnl2, I can't remember the exact times or what the reason was. Its still claimed to be that today.

It's a pity sensi forum is gone as there was a lot of info there. This info was posted by 'Ganja' the admin around the time that kook jesse posted his history of northern lights fairy tale there.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
The story of nl is even more confusing than that of haze, most of the information lying around is the same endlessly repeated lies ....
The Nl5 seeds are Nl5 x nl1, , on Nevil's own admission, the Nl5 clone was excellent but when he found the line it was not up to the clone ...
He made the 5x1 cross, which someone still labels and uses today as pure Nl5 .....
Nl2 is absolutely not sativa, it can be found under the name oasis, from dutch passion, and apparently sold as Hindukush by sensi ....

sbeanonnamellow

Hi RF, I dont think sensi ever sold a NL#5 strain, it just seems to be a common misconception. Infact they just sold a 'northern lights' strain, in the beginning that was nl5 x nl1 but that quickly changed to nl5xnl2, I can't remember the exact times or what the reason was. Its still claimed to be that today.

It's a pity sensi forum is gone as there was a lot of info there. This info was posted by 'Ganja' the admin around the time that kook jesse posted his history of northern lights fairy tale there.

Interesting stuff. Is it safe to assume the Ortega offered by MNS these days comes from the same original NL5 x NL1 seed stock the Sensi crew pulled from back in the day? Much love

sbeanonnamellow

The story of nl is even more confusing than that of haze, most of the information lying around is the same endlessly repeated lies ....
The Nl5 seeds are Nl5 x nl1, , on Nevil's own admission, the Nl5 clone was excellent but when he found the line it was not up to the clone ...
He made the 5x1 cross, which someone still labels and uses today as pure Nl5 .....
Nl2 is absolutely not sativa, it can be found under the name oasis, from dutch passion, and apparently sold as Hindukush by sensi ....

Neat take, I didn't know Nevil was the one to make the NL5 x NL1 cross. I thought he got that cross from the NL crew in seed form.

So did Nevil take the US NL5 clone and cross it to a specimen from the NL1 seedline, and that is where the NL5 x NL1 came from?

Which is also what is listed as the pedigree for the current MNS Ortega. Coming full circle, I think I am finally getting the pieces of the story straight in my brain. Much love

sshz

I didn't say it was sativa, I said it was the most sativa leaning of the bunch. Just like the NL #5 is the most indica like. I was growing these in the late 1980's, 1000's of plants straight out of The Seed Bank catalog. Do your homework, search out articles that Nevil talks about them and you'll see I'm correct.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
I didn't say it was sativa, I said it was the most sativa leaning of the bunch. Just like the NL #5 is the most indica like. I was growing these in the late 1980's, 1000's of plants straight out of The Seed Bank catalog. Do your homework, search out articles that Nevil talks about them and you'll see I'm correct.

NL#1 is actually the most indica

NL#2 has the hindu kush look

NL#5 also has an HK look

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
From Nevil lips:
NL1 was a full blood Afghan indica. One thick main stem, dark green leaves, modest yield with nuggety buds, a little coarse with good resin production, which when ripe went golden. The high was narcotic. The seeds ranged from tiny to massive. I used to love the big ones. Large fat heavily and darkly mottled seeds. Selecting for these seeds made this Afghan even coarser. It was fun to show people these seeds.

The best line of NL1 actually came from the smaller seeded types, better high and bud structure.

There weren't many pure indica lines around in those days. Big Bud, Hash Plant and G13 were pure indicas in my estimation, but were cuttings. NL1 was the only good pure Afghani male line I had.( there was Sams Afghani#1, but that was toxic in a bad way)
The NL2 was a Kush.

I put the NL1 out there as a pure strain. I wasn't popular. People would tell me, "give me the pure strains", but if it cost them 10% of their yield they would complain, well try 50%.

The pure indica hybrids were more popular. NL1 x HP and NL1 x G13 were the best. At least people could use the word pure (very popular). But they were good!

I expect that a lot of people holding what they believe to be pure indicas today, would find, if the truth be known, that the sire line traces back to NL1.

N.

TheDarkStorm

Neat take, I didn't know Nevil was the one to make the NL5 x NL1 cross. I thought he got that cross from the NL crew in seed form.

So did Nevil take the US NL5 clone and cross it to a specimen from the NL1 seedline, and that is where the NL5 x NL1 came from?

Which is also what is listed as the pedigree for the current MNS Ortega. Coming full circle, I think I am finally getting the pieces of the story straight in my brain. Much love

Nevil had his own breeding 5 clone...as royal flush said...he had the USA 5 clone and his own selected clone side by side...his own clone bred better....the old pictures you see of the 5 clone was nevils clone.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Ok, I think I am getting it.

Nevils NL5 is actually NL5 x NL1

So Nevils NL5 x NL1 cross is actually (NL5 x NL1) X NL1?

All plants from seeds he popped yeah? I will understand it eventually, appreciate you guys. Much love

Yes, Nevil made crosses using his NL#5 mother (US#5 x NL#1).

The NL#5 (Nevil's mother) X NL#1 would technically be and NL#1 Bx.

(US#5 x NL#1) x NL#1