What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ROOTED clones in refrigerator stasis?

dlcain

Anyone do this? I saw the thread about storing unrooted cuttings in a fridge, but not rooted clones in rockwool..... How long can you keep them this way?

Thx,
-d

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i have kept unrooted cuts in the bottom of the fridge at least 6 months and they still rooted after i cut the end again. as for rooted cut's i imagine they would survive as long as the roots don't freeze. but since there's roots they might need light and food though. it's a nice experiment you should conduct ;)

dlcain

Thanks. I normally buy my clones from a nursery here in the bay area. Problem is they need a 2 to 3 week lead time. The problem with running an experiment for my next cycle is ordering $2k worth of clones that I won't need if the stasis thing works or not ordering and having to wait 2 to 3 weeks if it doesn't......

i have kept unrooted cuts in the bottom of the fridge at least 6 months and they still rooted after i cut the end again. as for rooted cut's i imagine they would survive as long as the roots don't freeze. but since there's roots they might need light and food though. it's a nice experiment you should conduct ;)

corky1968

Veteran

Was this refrigerator with a glass door to let light in?

I imagine being in the dark for long must be bad.

Seems like somebody has already tried this here.

https://www.icmag.com/modules/Find_Threads/index.php?stext=stasis

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
no one has tried this yet, all those threads you linked are already saying what we know. you can keep cuts alive in the fridge. he's asking about rooted clones. in a fridge. you can keep them in plain water with mild food for a long time and they won't really grow much of anything but more roots. i've never done in fridge.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have never been able to store clones over a month in the fridge.....yeehaw..never tried rooted ones...6 months wow..whats your secret????..my crisper is full of lettuce already

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i put the cut ends in a cup of plain water, then i just stuck em in the crisper drawer. forgot about em till i moved then i took em with me and stuck em in my backyard. voila 3 clones. i didn't use much water, barely 1/2 inch.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
My stems get mushy after a bit and even re cutting can only go so far...you must have a special refrigerator to last 6 months...yeehaw..the water technique came from flower growers but has never worked much over 30 days ever for me..

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Thanks. I normally buy my clones from a nursery here in the bay area. Problem is they need a 2 to 3 week lead time. The problem with running an experiment for my next cycle is ordering $2k worth of clones that I won't need if the stasis thing works or not ordering and having to wait 2 to 3 weeks if it doesn't......
...yeah, if you take the time to learn how to root your own clones you'd be able to add $2k to your bottom line, ...it's not like cloning is all that hard either so why anyone would spend 2 thousand dollars on clones for every cycle sorta boggles my mind.

peace, bozo

btw, like stoned-trout i've never had success with any cuts left in the fridge for anything like 6 months, ...about 4 weeks and the cuts are still mostly reliable and viable but after that the failure rates go way up as the stems turn to mush.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...here's a few shots of some cuts that were shipped to me Priority Mail last winter from an internet friend that arrived with the cuts wrapped in frozen wet paper towels.

...here's how they looked when i unwrapped them and stuck them in a jar of water.

picture.php

...and what i ended up with after some emergency surgery.

picture.php

...and what they looked like as i potted them up into my cloner, at this point i did NOT have much hope.

picture.php

...but, 2 weeks later i come away with a pair of rooted clones and a new genepool to swim around in, lol.

picture.php

picture.php

anyway, that was a bit more than a year ago and she is a nice addition to my small collection.

peace, bozo

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...and just for shits and giggles here they are about a week later as i pot them up into 6liter coco hempy's.

picture.php

...a week or so later.

picture.php

...and a couple weeks later as i take some cuts.

picture.php

...anyway, i'll have to dig around and see if i can't find some bud shots of this new addition to my collection.

peace, bozo

Annete

I normally keep them in my drawer.The crisp drawer and a Ziploc bag provides a suitable stasis chamber for a fresh cutting for eight weeks and upwards. In order to obtain this sort of longevity in the fridge, the bag that contains the dry, rooted branches should be opened to breathe at least once a week. Holding clones in fridge statis offers many possibility for testing different males, holding strains while evaluating and changing the way you time your mother's.

cannawolf

I heard something about letting them get some co2 once a week or so and not let them freeze. I didn't tryed by my self, but the friend who said it to me is someone i can trust. I'll be testing it this year .