What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Possession Limits Pre & Post Legalization In Your State??

grwingpainz

Can anyone let me know what your states possession limits were before legalization and post. Just landed myself in a jam but in a state that is about to legalize within next yr or so… As I’m searching penalties in neighboring legal states it seems that my charges hold little to no real jail time and for sure no felonies. Can someone help calm a guys nerves and share how your state dealt with things differently after legalization?

I’m really looking to hear how other states have down graded their penalties, NormL doesn’t show previous penalties. My hope is my state will lower the penalties when/if we legalize this yr and my case won’t mean much… High hopes lol. So I’m curious how far other states down graded their charges.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
In Canada prior to legalization you were under the jurisprudence of the laws at the time. Not what the laws would become. Legalization has much stiffer penalties.

grwingpainz

I am in the USA and it seems most of the states that have become legal expunge the records of those whose charges become no longer a crime or felonies that become misdemeanor.

For the most part all legal states have downgraded their charges/penalties after legalization.

MedFaced

Only a few municipalities are going full expungement that I’m aware of and only certain charges. I had a case dismissed but it’s still on the record. The dismissal was part of a plea agreement and had nothing to do with the change in laws. I caught my case in 2012ish and nothing changed after recreational in CA.

I can say I’ve never been arrested on most job applications, but a simple google search on one of those websites will show a history. I’ve never checked to see what actually pops up or how much detail is available. Even with recreational laws in effect, jobs are still testing for and excluding cannabis users in most industries.

MedFaced

I just reached out to the Los Angelos DA’s office. They aren’t allowed to discuss my case in regards to AB 1793 without me hiring an attorney. When I google my name a criminal record still appears. If I ever get anything in the mail from the state, I’ll post about it. It would be really cool, but I’m not expecting any change for myself. The bill seems to focus on getting folks out of the jails rather than expungement. I’d be happy if they just sealed it up but an expungement would be awesome.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It's not a felony until over a key here.

Your best bet may be to get a good lawyer and stall out until legalization occurs. Don't skimp out on lawyers and the crookeder the better. Bribes are still part and parcel of the legal system.

Last edited:

grwingpainz

I would suggest contacting a mj lawyer for a free consultation on whether or not your eligible. It's my understanding that in CA if your crime was once a felony and is now a misdemeanor they will reduce, if it was a misdemeanor then and is now a non crime they expunge.

Expungement is not in the cards for me but I'll gladly take any misdemeanor charges!

grwingpainz

I'm actually on the east coast and your 100% right, I'm outta here the week I leave jail! Where to?... Not sure just yet but there has to be somewhere better than here.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Possession limits in nonlegal states is probably out of the question.

Ohio is alright for a decrim state.

But it looks like you are looking for expungement.

grwingpainz

Possession limits in nonlegal states is probably out of the question.

Ohio is alright for a decrim state.

But it looks like you are looking for expungement.

Well after looking at other states on NormL and hearing about these expungement bills it seems my charges will hopefully become down graded considerably in time. Now if that is fact than how can I use that information to fight this case, my thinking right now.

My top charge holds a max of 15yrs here but in neighboring states that have legalized it's barely a misdemeanor.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Most likely early '97, was arrested by SFPD after high school police and security found two of us attempting to blend in with a jogging physical education class but we had no uniforms.

Cutting school or suspicion of smoking cannabis were the reasons to take us back to the school office. Because I admitted that the two of us had smoked cannabis, the other guy was further punished on his probation or whatever since I had 'told' on him by saying we were smoking when asked a series of questions. In retrospect what were we supposed to say were were doing?

After keeping me handcuffed to a stool for hours, maybe that was the time for tagging writing on one of the staircases with a marker sitting outside of class by myself being high inside of sitting inside listening to the teacher lecture.

The one security guard was focused on finding something on me. I was told to get up and sit down, repeatedly, many many times over hours. Eventually this security guard lifts up my shirt, again, to reveal a tiny corner of a ziploc bag. Which he retrieved from outside the waistband technically, with a little plastic pull tab taking the sack of cannabis from inside my underwear.

Then I was arrested for suspicion of distribution or whatever it is called. I was 12 or just turned 13 at the time.
I don't know if both of these count but I guess I was arrested for tagging, one 3"x7" little bubble tag thing, and again for cannabis, in the same year at school?

And then in August 2009 I asked a Stanford police officer in person for directions back to I-80 or Richmond, after taking a buddy to a night club where an Emergency Room nurse I knew from Kaiser Richmond was DJing that night. It was my birthday and I remember that I had not had a drink for about six months that night. That is not the last time I drank alcohol but it is a lesson, a religious spiritual exercise, more of a lesson to me in logistics, doing it for myself more than anyone else. But the thing is I asked him for directions, and then I voluntarily passed all of his sobriety tests, then the breath thing said 0.09. Hours later the blood test also said 0.09. If I knew better to drive right by, or refuse the test, stand firm with my rights, maybe I would not have spent a night in their drunk tank and maybe some lawyer would not ask me for thousands of dollars just to show up late wearing a hood and raincoat like those fraternity jackets. Total f'ing bulls!#% cases pardon my fr. The police actually locked me and hit me up for money, while all they do is hit you up for application money, and the most rich kids party in their little village...

A different police officer, the school and juvenile detention 'in charge' police, a different one from the high school security cop force, shows me the inside of juvenile detention just to do it, before any charge or whatever.

Sitting in the office with the cop and another peer, another ninth grader, who he has brought in to accuse me of selling him cannabis. I said to the guy right in front of the cop I did not sell you this weed what color is it does it have seeds. And this guy, he made up a story that he bought a bag from me when he got it somewhere else. I may have sold a grand total of one ten dollar half gram bud wrapped inside a yellow juicy fruit paper in homeroom before first period of high school at that point. Apparently that is enough to have people making up stories to have you arrested for distribution.

We chunked em by the bleachers twice for snitching on me around the time cell phone cameras starting becoming popular. Then his friend wanted some so we chunked em too then had a smokeout after. Then after some JROTC guy wanted to step in but I had to recline that one, four bouts four days on the bleachers two blocks down the hill from school at lunch is a little much for one 1/8th ounce of seeded cannabis. What sucks is that scene kind of sums of where cannabis has been placed in the market with outlaws and drugs. It's more depressing and sad not impressive at all, that a thief can kill someone for free if they are desperate enough, the cost of danger to yourself is actually free. That is before legalization, before decriminalization, before taxes, before open storefront dispensaries.

Last edited:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
When I had third degree burns on my face for an accident trying to help someone start an older car, my gold necklace went missing out of like a dozen+ spectators right then and there and neither of my parents visited me once in the hospital. I was calm giving directions. They were scared frightened the girl who drove and her guy. Two buddies different buddies unrelated to that event showed up with a brownie I ate, I passed on the JD. Extra special delivery the next time I find out where that guy is. And it so happens many people have lots of children when they are young partying so there's a numbers game happening.

What is the real estate value of a neighborhood supposed to be, when people are like banging out eight kids all who are murderers none of whom go to school?

As soon as I fixed my car, my Civic that I used to have, someone stole it and took all of the parts in one day. This is just completely unrelated, people from high school will not talk to me for years and then when I move back into the area start showing up and asking me for things. As if, people are unwelcoming,

Last edited:

grwingpainz

What is this crap art? I didn't ask for your life story just trying to gain some legal information in regards to change of laws. Your rambling will likely cause more rambling or just make people not want to respond. Pls go clog up another thread, this one is for grown-ups to share.

You are a known rambler here, you need to understand the difference between a rant and a reply. Enjoy your day!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'd be really interested in hearing from people in Mass about this topic. Seems like your possession penalties are light.

Mass - 12 female mature (flowering) plants.
If you grew it there's no limits. :biggrin:

For non growers possession is limited to 1 zip as far as I know. Not sure about at home.

grwingpainz

Mass - 12 female mature (flowering) plants.
If you grew it there's no limits. :biggrin:

For non growers possession is limited to 1 zip as far as I know. Not sure about at home.

Do you happen to recall the penalties pre-legalization?

Right now you guys have no charge on the books for possession, I assume someone facing felony possession charges prior to the law changes would be facing a different animal.

For this reason I am hopeful, just trying to educate myself on possible outcomes and what this may mean for my future both in life and in MJ.

As crazy as it sounds I feel grateful to be in this situation now rather than 6months-1yr ago.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm not sure what the numbers were pre legalization. It was pretty stiff with low limits.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
I do not know the numbers other than 12 plants or six per person, and one ounce dried flowers.

In LA County and Contra Costa I heard expungements for mj.