What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

making money in a legal market

L

larry badiner

a few clubs in my town are selling eighths for 15$, so im guessing selling weed to the clubs is out of the question

how can people make money in a legal system?

By growing a lot with great genetics developed for your ecotype and selling at prices that are aligned with regular farming costs. Vertical integration helps if you have access to capital.

picture.php

L

larry badiner

By growing a lot with great genetics developed for your ecotype and selling at prices that are aligned with regular farming costs. Vertical integration helps if you have access to capital.

View Image

how are the prices in oregon? are people making decent money from small indoor grows? i can bloom about 60 plants max using perpetual growing

No. Not at all. But local conditions are always unique. If you can in your place, do it. Use what you made to build bigger in a smart way. The end game is always about selling your product in the market place, not how many plants you can grow.

G

Gr33nSanta

View Image

EPIC! was that grown without herbicides and without pesticides?

Given the history of cannabis, it will take a while for indoor to go away, but it will eventually become rarer, I mean, look at how much can be grown outdoor, without greenhouses, with the right genetics, ... epic!

EPIC! was that grown without herbicides and without pesticides?

Given the history of cannabis, it will take a while for indoor to go away, but it will eventually become rarer, I mean, look at how much can be grown outdoor, without greenhouses, with the right genetics, ... epic!

Zero sprays. "Beyond organic". This is an industrial hemp crop (CBD). 15%-20% when finished. Farming is farming...if you know your plants and environment, anything is possible.

That said, OP wants to know if you can make money growing small scale. The answer is no in the long term.

Mr Blah

I'm working on developing a solid outdoor game. Indoor here is becoming difficult because people don't want to pay for the quality anymore.too many asshats driving down the price of the good stuff with mediocre.

Concentrates also seem to have an effect on the flower market. You can take a mediocre crop looks wise and turn it in to gold, shit you could never sell in flower form.

This is what I'm finding and legalization is just getting started here.

I'm glad I started learning over a decade ago, I'd hate to be a noob grower with profitable aspirations right now.
What state are you from?

coldcanna

Veteran
I don't see any way for a small grower to succeed in a legal market- after all its just a plant like tomatoes, basil, oranges, ect... You don't see any farmers running a business with 60 tomato plants no matter how good it is. Trout was right, there will always be a market for premier indoors but honestly the large warehouse people are growing top shelf already and doing it for much lower costs than a small op could.

That being said- in business the theory is called "value added products". This is where you turn a commodity into a unique product and that is where you stand the best chance to make your money. For example, Ocean Spray Juice is making wayyyy more money than the cranberry growers, or look at a package of beef jerky which is $0.50 worth of beef being sold for $5 at the store. Once its no longer a commodity you can earn your profit from selling uniqueness and special appeal

I don't see any way for a small grower to succeed in a legal market- after all its just a plant like tomatoes, basil, oranges, ect... You don't see any farmers running a business with 60 tomato plants no matter how good it is. Trout was right, there will always be a market for premier indoors but honestly the large warehouse people are growing top shelf already and doing it for much lower costs than a small op could.

That being said- in business the theory is called "value added products". This is where you turn a commodity into a unique product and that is where you stand the best chance to make your money. For example, Ocean Spray Juice is making wayyyy more money than the cranberry growers, or look at a package of beef jerky which is $0.50 worth of beef being sold for $5 at the store. Once its no longer a commodity you can earn your profit from selling uniqueness and special appeal

Great post! Minor point to add: the small, craft farmers will likely end up supplying about 20% of the total demand once national legalization rolls out, with an ever-consolidating oligopoly producing the other 80%. That's what we see in every other major consumer product industry.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I'm working on developing a solid outdoor game. Indoor here is becoming difficult because people don't want to pay for the quality anymore.too many asshats driving down the price of the good stuff with mediocre.

Concentrates also seem to have an effect on the flower market. You can take a mediocre crop looks wise and turn it in to gold, shit you could never sell in flower form.

This is what I'm finding and legalization is just getting started here.

I'm glad I started learning over a decade ago, I'd hate to be a noob grower with profitable aspirations right now.

then it isn't the asshats bringing down the medicore it is the person with the better weed who has a problem getting the customer to realize the difference or has an inflated sense of better

most flowers are inferior to carts let alone unadulterated concentrates

the weed needs to be nice enough to pique the interest and desire of those who no longer think flower is superior

that means nose and mouth piece have to be far superior and the smoke has to be soft and enjoyable to have in the lungs and not have a high that wipes people out but keeps them lit for hours

from a medicinal point of view the only concentrate that is parallel to proper full spectrum flower is rosin

I get more relief and benefit from flower/rosin than oil

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the opinions in this thread seem to have a huge logical disconnect

a medicinal plant that on an individual basis can have a plethora of pythochemicals of which all effect taste and aroma in differing ways is not a tomato or even cbd rich hemp

a 6 month pure haze is not a generic indica that will express identically in any environment

past that everyone is ignoring is models that predict value over the term in light of corporate consolidation but this can't even be discussed until EVERY pythochemical from the plant is approved by the federal government for regulation and even then what you will see on the market will be a reflection of that regulation

if the flood gates where wide open on legalization and none of the chemicals are made proprietary to the pharmaceutical companies via regulation (cocaine and heroin where legal at one time) you will still have big corporate vestments who will dominate the market by taking over a gross percentage of production through collectives growing very specific and homogeneous cultivars that work best within that model

just from a taste perspective alone it will be impossible for the variety that exists as it does now in a mono culture corporate model and the price of production will be lowered to offset the need for corporate profits. even if the market stays completely recreational business models predict this cycle

the same dynamic happened in beer and if there was no difference in perceived experience the microbreweries would not have been able to compete but since there is a difference there is a value add and a revenue opportunity to be had

this plant is so versatile we could eliminate mining fossil fuels and fracking for natural gas (and the devastating consequences) for hemp oil as we transition to a green future

that alone could take up a good amount of acreage on idle farms across america and because of the remediation capacities it could be used to revitalize land in the same effort

we have reached tip of the iceberg only there is so much more this plant can do and the capacities truly reflect a diversity and potential we have yet to experience from an agricultural species

Kalachakra

Hello here,

I do the analogy between the fact that to call you the behavioral science on US and the psychoanalysis of the old continent as for as you said, comparativly between industrial process and genetic selection.

With regard to tomatoes (needed not to begin) and what i eat, they are something to understood to this link, i think.
Biological résilience Is a lever very badly exploited to strengthen the viability of the genetics run in the long term.

http://www.bioaddict.fr/article/pas...e-tomates-sans-eau-ni-pesticides-a4895p1.html

Enjoy.
(must to translate...)

Kalachakra

Google translate.
" Pascal Poot selects his seeds in a context of difficulty and stress for the plant, what makes them extremely tolerant, improves their gustative quality and makes that they are more concentrated in nutriment " explain Bob Brac de la Perrière, biologist and geneticist of plants, and coordinator of the environmental association Bede which qualifies the work of Pascal Poot as "unique"("only").

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Good to See ya, Weird... I'd love to hear via a PM what your opinion was on a Boutique grower making it anymore.. I've been hammering away at this for 13 years. Although my quality is super good, and my phenos proprietarily found in seedpacks - not much has changed. Even though I have changed locales several times. Where I presently am, I am not seeing AAA quality anywhere, but am sure it exists. In a lower percentage though.

Peace..

soil margin

Veteran
how can people make money in a legal system?

Turn yourself into a specialty item like fine wine, coffee, cigars, scotch,seafood,etc. that can charge super high prices because consumers recognize the value of your product. Marketing/consumer education/brand awareness are all key here.

stasis

Veteran
Turn yourself into a specialty item like fine wine, coffee, cigars, scotch,seafood,etc. that can charge super high prices because consumers recognize the value of your product. Marketing/consumer education/brand awareness are all key here.

The resistance to pay more is amazing. "I Usually pay ____$." is the constant refrain.

"For this quality..?" I reply.

At which time, I receive a look that says, "All I care about is money, fool...!"

Soul less can be a way of life for some. Cheers

stasis

Veteran

View Image

THIS Is the 1% talking. No different than the Rich against the poor. Alnost NO ONE can make this happen anymore. QUIT BRAGGING>

As for this quote "Turn yourself into a specialty item like fine wine, coffee, cigars, scotch,seafood,etc. that can charge super high prices because consumers recognize the value of your product. Marketing/consumer education/brand awareness are all key here. "

SO Far, Boutique Does NOT WORK. Maybe that will change. They just find someone with TOP_SHELF stock and Lowball, until they find someone willing to part with it for pennies. THE NEW NORMAL>

THIS Is the 1% talking. No different than the Rich against the poor. Alnost NO ONE can make this happen anymore. QUIT BRAGGING>

As for this quote "Turn yourself into a specialty item like fine wine, coffee, cigars, scotch,seafood,etc. that can charge super high prices because consumers recognize the value of your product. Marketing/consumer education/brand awareness are all key here. "

SO Far, Boutique Does NOT WORK. Maybe that will change. They just find someone with TOP_SHELF stock and Lowball, until they find someone willing to part with it for pennies. THE NEW NORMAL>

Two things: first, you couldn't be further from the truth about me. My company isn't vertically integrated; we sell seed to farmers and some R&D flower from our test grows each year to other product manufacturers. We're very big compared to closet cannabis breeders, but still awfully small and lean compared to standard vegetable seed breeders. I agree with your statement that only the wealthy can afford to be vertically integrated and producing at scale, it's just not me or my company.

Second, the problem may be with your definition of "boutique" going into this. If there's one truism of pre-legal cannabis, it's that every grower thought they had the best flowers on the market--and, for almost every grower, it was generally true. Due to the structure of informal markets, most are isolated from each other (and hence the success of boards like these in the pre-legal days) and buyers are limited to friends and family with some occassional outliers. Think of cannabis growers as being, literally, the asteroid belt between Earth and Mars. Everyone thinks they are the shit when they are a fist-sized rock and have 20 pebbles orbiting them; it's beyond the scope of comprehension for that rock to notice planet-sized protuberances exerting their gravitational force on the whole asteroid belt. That's the cannabis market today; those planet size forces don't think your flower deserves a 200x return on investment anymore, especially when the market is flooded (Oregon currently has 10x it's yearly consumption in cannabis products being stored in retail, wholesale, and grower facilities). If you don't have something truly novel--and no, a new polyhybrid cookies cross isn't novel--you don't stand much of a chance.

I personally think a lot of the newer businesses will bust out once wholesale prices really strt coming down n others can strt reachin for their dreams with either some extract or edible or whatnot that they can have a specific recipe for or something that ppl just like.
Plus there's just going to be a mass exodus of businesses eventually as the market gets more n more flooded with options, eventually ppl will figure out their own tastes n know what they like n what they don't need to bother with trying or playing around with anymore.
Those who's products are enjoyed n used n bought up will go on n the rest will bust out like everyone else in every other business.
Hell How many 10's of if not 100's of thousands of ppl are just gonna opt out n grow their own n fuck buyin or selling any of it, n be perfectly fine with that really.

We're fuckin human beings, if you can't adapt to something as simple as a business market place busting out than that's just evolution.
What I really see is a lot of whiners crying about how they won't be allowed to be the ones monopolizing a biological commodity/resource without changing a thing they do to do so.

In simplest terms it just aint gonna fuckin happen. lol
Get over it n move on n just enjoy doing your thing, or get to thinkn n workin a lot harder cause that's what it's gonna take to keep up.

cheers,.............................................................gps