What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens)

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jack, I think his problem comes down to economics. Bsf take a much biggeR share of the energy stored up in your scraps. They literally fly away with it.

not always, i plan to feed the larva to my chickens, and in turn i get free chicken poop.

maryjohn

Veteran
yeah good point jay, I was just thinking what manageable predator could complete the cycle in a way that benefits the gardener. duh! chickens!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some use them to feed their fish in a aquaponics system. which is just fuckin brilliant.

J

JackTheGrower

I dub them the Pig of microorganisms. When they finish with a mound of coffee it is like worm castings in the texture.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
If you don't let them out of the area you have them contained they won't turn into adult flies. At least thats my understanding.

Edit: You also have to consider that you can feed them many things that you wouldn't normally be able to put in a traditional compost. Meat, cheese, etc.

J

JackTheGrower

If you don't let them out of the area you have them contained they won't turn into adult flies. At least that's my understanding.

Edit: You also have to consider that you can feed them many things that you wouldn't normally be able to put in a traditional compost. Meat, cheese, etc.

I thought about a closed system before but I believe they pupate no mater what.

maryjohn

Veteran
By face off, I meant first one to get the face off. If you can start with skin even better but usually a goat's head is already skinned and ready to boil.

Let's go boys, it's almost Halloween!

J

JackTheGrower

By face off, I meant first one to get the face off. If you can start with skin even better but usually a goat's head is already skinned and ready to boil.

Let's go boys, it's almost Halloween!

My tumbler is now a meat free place.. I don't want the ants and flies.

maryjohn

Veteran
I just found a large rat shaped pile of maggots with fur and a tail in my basement and had to clean it up. basement has been smelling odd for weeks.

I surrender.

J

JackTheGrower

I just found a large rat shaped pile of maggots with fur and a tail in my basement and had to clean it up. basement has been smelling odd for weeks.

I surrender.

Died Smokin yer weed I take it?

You're alright friend.

ourcee

so I found some "grub lookin thangs" in my compost tumbler and am excited to find out they are BSF larvae.

how should I go about separating them from the tumbler and building a more favorable environment for them? or just build the new compost heap and let em migrate?

and how does one go about harvesting BSF castings anyways?

J

JackTheGrower

BSF The Movie..

BSF The Movie..

You know what? I'm not a YouTube Virgin now.

I made a video I hope will get a few reviews from this thread..

So Please enjoy and feel free to email if you will. It is my first internet video.

Jack

Oh yeah; the LINK

Last edited:
J

JackTheGrower

so I found some "grub lookin thangs" in my compost tumbler and am excited to find out they are BSF larvae.

how should I go about separating them from the tumbler and building a more favorable environment for them? or just build the new compost heap and let em migrate?

and how does one go about harvesting BSF castings anyways?

If you are careful you may do alright to scoop them up.
Maybe the newest young may be damaged but the more you take care the better any material transfer will be.

The BSF do fine in most containers if you try to keep the temperature no higher than 85 in the sun. The hotter the ambient the more stress on a large community.
Hey share what you do.. These guys fly around Texas and all over the warm zones...

Jack

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
make a trap. fill a mesh bag with the goodness they love. they will go to it. you simply pull it out and put it in whatever you want to culture them in.

J

JackTheGrower

About that video..

About that video..

My bad.. I had some samples of songs, not the complete song mind ya, in the audio and so it was muted on YouTube..

Hey.. So I checked and I can share that with friends but not publish it on something like YouTube.

So for my friends of this forum I make it available on LimeWire as "JTG Vid1 BSF_002.wmv"

J

JackTheGrower

Since it's October and such..

picture.php

Cantaloupe and Coffee...