What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lollipopping

40degsouth

Hey Rico,
just found me a self help book to get some of that sweet sweet negative rep🤓
1DD38911-19F7-4619-A1FF-715FAC55D5A4.jpeg

I’ve also taken a few other, clearer, photos of the internal space of an eight foot wide, nine, or so, foot tall plant just after a full cream milk foliar, fungal spray.
00364F40-710A-41F4-9579-19326A53D81C.jpeg
58E7AFD5-0E1A-46A1-AB95-50399B61D82F.jpeg
8256E14C-36A8-48E3-A696-BEF76B508A00.jpeg

Sasult

They did lollipopping in the study. They called it BBLR, but state in the text that it is commonly known as lollipopping. They do consider it something different than what they are calling pruning. I think the miscommunication we are having is because the basic definition of pruning is "trim (a tree, shrub, or bush) by cutting away dead or overgrown branches or stems, especially to increase fruitfulness and growth.", so it includes any branch removal. They created different distinctions to test various styles of pruning.

Inflorescence is "the complete flower head of a plant including stems, stalks, bracts, and flowers". Since they have inflorescence leaves as a separate category, I think they are talking about trimmed buds.

Rico Swazi

In that study , lollipopping/defoliation came up short
results show selective pruning is the name of the game
I need help as nothing I can see about trimmed buds in the end result
Great discourse @Sasult , keep it coming

Hey 40
Years ago, I was crowned dumbest guy UNDER the table
22 yrs sober now I engage in the constant flux of synaptic pruning
rather than chemical defoliating of brain matter as was done in the past
let that be a lesson lol!
Used 10% milk solution for squash, cukes and cannabis myself
sprayed in full sun with fantastic results
plants look good 40

if it ain't broke? @moose eater You mentioned two weeks.
What would be the latest you do the pruning process in flower ?
Questioning if there would be an advantage in doing pruning BEFORE flipping to flower ?
Perhaps giving more time for hormonal balance and secondary metabolite production. ?

Sasult

I try to be as gentle as I can be with training/pruning. I did the 2 leaf topping style on this round and they seem to recover quickly. The outcome looks a lot like FIMing, but it is easier for me to see where to cut. I will get back to you with the results in a couple months. I just flipped them. I did the main top at 18" and then 2 weeks before flip I did the tallest 4 or 5 branches. It gave me a nice level canopy, without removing any nodes.

I'm going to try the double prune on the next set. So far the best harvest per plant came from putting a stake at a 45 deg. angle and cutting my clones from the underside. The only problem is that they take more space.

moose eater

In that study , lollipopping/defoliation came up short
results show selective pruning is the name of the game
I need help as nothing I can see about trimmed buds in the end result
Great discourse @Sasult , keep it coming

Hey 40
Years ago, I was crowned dumbest guy UNDER the table
22 yrs sober now I engage in the constant flux of synaptic pruning
rather than chemical defoliating of brain matter as was done in the past
let that be a lesson lol!
Used 10% milk solution for squash, cukes and cannabis myself
sprayed in full sun with fantastic results
plants look good 40

if it ain't broke? @moose eater You mentioned two weeks.
What would be the latest you do the pruning process in flower ?
Questioning if there would be an advantage in doing pruning BEFORE flipping to flower ?
Perhaps giving more time for hormonal balance and secondary metabolite production. ?
Keeping in mind this has always involved either 400-430 watt hps/mh, or, currently, 315cmh with the added corner lighting, with the exception of the experiment in the mother cupboard with a couple small LED saucers when I had the boxes full, too many mothers, and was being greedy and curious at the same time. In other words, overall, and over time, lower intensity lighting, in 4'x4' areas, painted semi-gloss BRIGHT white for reflective surface.

The scheduling later than 1-2 weeks into bloom has more often than not been a product of lethargy, than a planned delay for purposes of study. But I've done it many times, somewhat later than 1-2 weeks; especially over the last couple years, as a result of personal energy levels..

I can only hypothesize re. the aggregate weight advantage to the method I use personally.

I figure the plant draws the amount of energy it perceives it needs, based on conditions, (Does that make sense?) assuming it has those resources in the mix to begin with, and I've often tended to run my mixes fairly 'hot', making food available, sometimes/often to excess (organic mixes).

So if the organic soilless mix has the nutes in it, and the plants's drawing 'what it needs', then it is feeding the entire plant, including the less lit area that would otherwise produce the micro undergrowth flowers..

But the sites that get trimmed, whether newly arriving suckers or poorly-lit bud sites/branches below, once removed, in hypothesis, leaves that existing food supply and draw left to be shifted toward the remaining healthier, better lit flowering sites, especially initially after pruning..

I haven't scientifically compared aggregate weight output of flowers, per se' between the lazier method of not trimming at all versus the intensive pruning method below the canopy, but would assert there's a sense or probability that the weight of flower in the end between 2 methods, results in similar final aggregate weight of flower, and -possibly- slightly greater weight overall with the unpruned method, but that includes the larfy micro buds.

BUT, the pruned-beneath-the-canopy method results in close to that weight, with better formed flowers, easier trimming due to the absence of the fluffy micro nonsense, and a more attractive (or, back in the day) salable product in the end.. with comparable overall aggregate weight of flower in the end..

Additionally, I often target (about) 2 weeks(+/-) after the transplant into a bloom mix and final pot as the target date for flipping to 12:12 (I tend to -only- run photo-period plants, and typically -only- natural selection/'regular' seeds (old time prejudices and suspicions...)

I'd suspect that doing the pruning at an earlier date might allow for the suckers that are still undeveloped to form after the pruning, appearing in greater presence afterward. And to prune the suckers and poorly lit areas later than the 1-2 weeks into bloom might remove too much of the energy from the overall flowering cycle, that I want to go to the more desirable upper flowers.

My personal best record to date, of well-pruned output, with about 25 years in these specifc boxes, involved my California Indica (Dronkers' Sensi Seeds, brought back from Holland by me in 1997; still alive, but barely at this moment, clone to clone) under 400-watt hps, in a single 4'x4' area, with no augmented lighting, feeding organics, including guano teas and kelp meal extract, etc., and was either 21-1/2 or 22-1/2 oz. from that 16 sq. ft.

Last edited:

Rico Swazi

if you haven't seen them-

Plant architecture manipulation increases cannabinoid standardization in ‘drug-type’ medical cannabis

Rico Swazi

heard through the vine it was the boss calling the lot 'zero tasking lazy stoners'
demanding plants need copious amounts of nitrogen, cal-mag , daily dustings of sevin....
that inspired collective bargaining, a strike and new management
....ultimately saving the crop and bringing peace, harmony and nature back to the land

Nice pic brother, beautiful, BARD CGI can suck it!

40degsouth

Hi everyone,
I’ve been lollipoppiing for a while now and I never seem to get the amazing results you guys do🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
All that seems to happen, is that plant growth slows and yields are significantly decreased🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’d love some feedback and advice from some of the more experienced growers on here.
Thanks in advance for all your replies 🤗
F6A7563F-C069-4E52-8E1A-1B376648586F.jpeg

Hasch

420giveaway
The only science on it I could find was from Institute of Soil Water and Environmental Sciences. Judging from this Double pruning makes the biggest difference. Pruning the plants twice, pruning the rooted cuttings at the day of transplanting to the experimental pots, leaving six primary branches and a second time at the transition to the short-day (Double prune). They do not clarify how they did the second prune.

Table 1. Effect of architecture-manipulation treatments on cannabinoid yield per plant in “drug-type” cannabis. Different superscript letters in a column represent significant differences between treatments by Tukey HSD test at α = 0.05. Data are averages ± SE (n = 6).
Architecture Manipulation Treatments​
CBGA
(g/plant)​
CBDA
(g/plant)​
CBDVA
(g/plant)​
THCA
(g/plant)​
THCVA
(g/plant)​
CBCA
(g/plant)​
Control
0.917 ± 0.06 ab​
14.099 ± 0.95 bc​
0.928 ± 0.06 b​
0.794 ± 0.05 bc​
0.043 ± 0 b​
0.933 ± 0.06 b​
Defoliation
0.783 ± 0.08 b​
13.364 ± 1.43 bc​
0.911 ± 0.1 b​
0.769 ± 0.08 bc​
0.041 ± 0 b​
0.873 ± 0.09 b​
1 BBLR + Defoliation
0.921 ± 0.09 ab​
15.287 ± 1.42 bc​
1.076 ± 0.1 b​
0.89 ± 0.08 b​
0.048 ± 0 b​
0.994 ± 0.09 b​
BBLR
0.927 ± 0.05 ab​
13.584 ± 0.74 bc​
0.891 ± 0.05 b​
0.765 ± 0.04 bc​
0.041 ± 0 b​
0.895 ± 0.05 b​
2° Branch removal
0.711 ± 0.03 b​
11.453 ± 0.52 c​
0.786 ± 0.04 b​
0.611 ± 0.03 c​
0.036 ± 0 b​
0.756 ± 0.03 b​
1° Branch removal
0.146 ± 0.01 c​
0.377 ± 0.03 d​
0.028 ± 0 c​
0.02 ± 0 d​
0.001 ± 0 c​
0.029 ± 0 c​
Single prune
0.931 ± 0.04 ab​
16.194 ± 0.7 b​
1.076 ± 0.05 b​
0.855 ± 0.04 bc​
0.049 ± 0 b​
0.992 ± 0.04 b​
Double prune
1.079 ± 0.08 a​
22.446 ± 1.67 a​
1.5 ± 0.11 a​
1.199 ± 0.09 a​
0.066 ± 0 a​
1.378 ± 0.1 a​
Thanks for sharing 👍🏼

I've read (roughly) through the study, can't find details on what exactly they did when pruning.

Topping the main stem?

Would be great if someone could give more info 🙏🏼

Bio boy

Hi everyone,
I’ve been lollipoppiing for a while now and I never seem to get the amazing results you guys do🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
All that seems to happen, is that plant growth slows and yields are significantly decreased🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’d love some feedback and advice from some of the more experienced growers on here.
Thanks in advance for all your replies 🤗 View attachment 18825857
This looks how I have done one plant , but it was too tall tooo tall I had to chop down or get rekt later

Latest posts

Latest posts