What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Couple questions about transitioning to coco

bs0

Used to grow NFT perpetual all in 2" netpots. Could grow some pretty dang awesome plants but there was always the risk of the sludge - and a sludge attack almost always took an entire harvest. I loved the low effort of it - change rez's every 3 weeks, ensure PPM/PH once a week, cut clones when bored and the rest was just waiting and watching and trimming. No medium to get rid of either, just roots and branches which was super nice.
Starting back up and upgraded 3 HID lights to 3 COB led's to get to 1500w COB led in a 5Lx10Wx6H space. The two downsides I have are no drain on same floor and that shitty 6' height.

All that said, for automatic DTW (2 or 3 feeds per day), how much babysitting do you need? How much water would that size space waste each day? Should it be 4 or 6 3g pots per light? How fast would you munch through a 20g res per light? Would it be better to do flood/drain 2x a day?

I've seen conflicting mentions on how much waste is needed, some say 20% per day, some 10%, some minimal/none w/ weekly flushes. I'd like to jump into the coco but if the labor is too high I won't be any less likely to have a failure, just a different failure mode. If I have to lug 10 gallons per day to another floor to dump it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for any help coco-nuts.
:plant grow:

Fixer

Used to grow NFT perpetual all in 2" netpots. Could grow some pretty dang awesome plants but there was always the risk of the sludge - and a sludge attack almost always took an entire harvest. I loved the low effort of it - change rez's every 3 weeks, ensure PPM/PH once a week, cut clones when bored and the rest was just waiting and watching and trimming. No medium to get rid of either, just roots and branches which was super nice.
Starting back up and upgraded 3 HID lights to 3 COB led's to get to 1500w COB led in a 5Lx10Wx6H space. The two downsides I have are no drain on same floor and that shitty 6' height.

All that said, for automatic DTW (2 or 3 feeds per day), how much babysitting do you need? How much water would that size space waste each day? Should it be 4 or 6 3g pots per light? How fast would you munch through a 20g res per light? Would it be better to do flood/drain 2x a day?

I've seen conflicting mentions on how much waste is needed, some say 20% per day, some 10%, some minimal/none w/ weekly flushes. I'd like to jump into the coco but if the labor is too high I won't be any less likely to have a failure, just a different failure mode. If I have to lug 10 gallons per day to another floor to dump it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for any help coco-nuts.
:plant grow:

Hi bs0, I shoot for 10% runoff watering 4 times a day. I have a friend who runs a big commercial grow and that's the number he uses. I feed about a gallon a day per plant in 5 gal cloth pots. Most of the moisture leaves through the air so there's not necessarily much liquid to remove (you'll need a dehumidifier.)

I'm in 7' of space and I don't have any floor drains either so I feed the plants into flood tables which I have elevated a few inches off the slab. This allows me to drain the tables through bulkhead fittings and 3/4" tubing into a small bucket which is automatically pumped out with a Little Giant condensate pump. My build is at the beginning of my thread at the link below. Take a look and let me know if I can help!
tiphat.gif

Latest posts

Latest posts