What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Burnt my plants up with pesticide, think they will bounce back?

Blazeee

Veteran
I think ive made a school boy error here and managed to fry all of my plants whilst spraying pesticide. I have been trying to defeat broads / russets over the past year with not much luck.

Ive only managed to pull 1 crop off whilst dealing with them, that crop was treated with predator mites from day 1 that the seeds were popped, and were also treated with OG biowar and Spirotetramat (Kontos / Movento). The crop wasnt even half of what it should have been and i ended up spending more on predators than what i got back and the buds came out shit.

Ive tried to start some more seeds and clones from a friend. Started them all with Swirskii mite sachets inside the propagator, hoping that i had defeated them on the last run. Once the plants were big enough I moved them out the propagator, but the broads / russets appear to have resurfaced.

As soon as i noticed the first signs of damage nearly a week ago, I applied a root drench of Spirotetramat (Kontos/Movento), and also sprayed the plants down with Abamectin (Avid / Plant Vitality) on the same day. 2 days later I followed up with a spray of Spiromesifen (Forbid 4F / Oberon), then 2 days later sprayed them again with Abamectin (Avid / Plant Vitality).

Since the last application of Abamectin (Avid / Plant Vitality), all the new growth on my plants appears to be burned up and fried real bad.

I always spray at lights off, and left the lights off for around 8 hours or so before turning them back on. My plants are only under 200w of T5's, so I dont think it was the lights that fried them. Im guessing it could maybe be due to phytotoxicity?

Im just wondering if you guys think they will come back around or not? The damage doesnt appear as bad in the pics, but all of the tops and new growth is burnt up real bad. Obviously i wanted to keep treating them and get rid of these bastard broads / russets, but im abit hesitant to keep treating them as the plants look like a write off.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

St. Phatty

it's a very resilient plant.

you just need to get some new plant tips growing that don't have the poison / poison response.

Bean Sprout

I agree with St Phatty. You could spray with plain water to remove residual pesticide. Then I would flush the medium with mild strength nutes to flush out the pesticide. The pesticide’s pH may have caused the plants to burn imo.

Green81

Veteran
Blazee have you tried the heat treatment tech?
Keeping the room temps really high and low humidity for over 48hrs? Keep your girls will watered with dillute nutrients ?
Also defoliate your plants leaving only the tops and top fan leaves.
Its a tough one when you get those critters, where do you think they came from, cuts?

Max Q

They will probably recover. To eradicate the mites I say hang up a couple of Hot Shot No Pest Strips in your grow area...... and the mites will all be dead.... very effective fumigant... or go on spraying and drenching ad infinitum.

Before every one starts telling me how toxic the stuff is, I call BS..... I've used it a couple of times and I'm still standing up and taking nourishment..... and was 100% effective.

I had a sample of the weed I grew with the no-pest strips tested at MCR labs..... they did detect residual amount..... 9 parts per billion.... works on thrips too.... permanent solution, little or no effort involved..... compared to Wuhan virus?..... meh.

Blazeee

Veteran
Blazee have you tried the heat treatment tech?
Keeping the room temps really high and low humidity for over 48hrs? Keep your girls will watered with dillute nutrients ?
Also defoliate your plants leaving only the tops and top fan leaves.
Its a tough one when you get those critters, where do you think they came from, cuts?

Alright mate

I haven't tried heat treatment. Only reason being its rented accomodation and they recently redid all the fire detection equipment, new smoke alarms and heat detectors. Ive been paranoid to raise the temps too high in the room as if i trigger the heat detector, it triggers everyone elses in the building.

Ive been fighting these bugs over the past year, was able to get 1 crop down, using predators and og biowar, but it wasnt even half of what it normally should be, and the buds came out shit. I probably spent more on predators and electric than the buds would have been worth.

Ive spent hundreds on new equipment, shut down for months and they still seem to pop back up.

They 100% came in on cuts from people in the UK

They will probably recover. To eradicate the mites I say hang up a couple of Hot Shot No Pest Strips in your grow area...... and the mites will all be dead.... very effective fumigant... or go on spraying and drenching ad infinitum.

Before every one starts telling me how toxic the stuff is, I call BS..... I've used it a couple of times and I'm still standing up and taking nourishment..... and was 100% effective.

I had a sample of the weed I grew with the no-pest strips tested at MCR labs..... they did detect residual amount..... 9 parts per billion.... works on thrips too.... permanent solution, little or no effort involved..... compared to Wuhan virus?..... meh.

I ended up binning those plants a few days ago as they wernt coming back around and looked fucked. Cleaned the room down, took the tent down, set up a little propagation tent, grabbed 2 small bug free plants from a buddy and am currently treating them in there, this time will try my best not to nuke them lol.

If i could get the Hot shot no pest strips i would use them, but i cant find anywhere that will ship them to the UK and dont know what the active ingredient in them is.

I saw this other guy on youtube wipe out his infestation by hanging 40 of these Fruit Fly Bar Pro Vapour Strips in his room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrMBAPRyTz0

Only problem is I cant buy them here in the UK, same with micronized sulphur, thats also banned for sale here. I tried diluting some regular sulphur powder but it wasnt happening. It was hard enough to get the Spirotetramat and Forbid shipped over here.

eyesdownchronic

Sorry to hear about your issues. I cant speak in regards to the pesticide burn, but I got hit hard by the russets too. Lost a good chunk of plants, cleaned my area used neem, green cleaner, spinosad, pyrethrin, nothing seemed to work. Tried using beneficials, applied fallacis,andersoni, cucumeris plus hypoasis miles and they seemed to fix everything up. I dont think swiirski is the best option for russet, plus theyre expensive. fallacis and andersoni are both better suited.

Green81

Veteran
Eyesdownchronic thats interesting to know about the other types of predatory mites. Ive only used phytoseiulus mites but they were for european red spider mite. Do you have a good uk source for the other predatory mites?

G81

Green81

Veteran
Blazee your gonna get these girls free of these little shits, good luck with the treatment.

eyesdownchronic

I think phytoeslieus persimillis really only go after spider mites. Arbico and greenmethods are both solid. Quite sure arbico is European so they may be your best bet. Both are also great sources of information.

eyesdownchronic

To be fair, I may have went a bit hard on my applications. I imagine 2 of the 3 species I applied plus hypoasis, to get any soil dwelling eggs, would have got the job done. I should also note multiple applications were made.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I think ive made a school boy error here and managed to fry all of my plants whilst spraying pesticide. I have been trying to defeat broads / russets over the past year with not much luck.

Ive only managed to pull 1 crop off whilst dealing with them, that crop was treated with predator mites from day 1 that the seeds were popped, and were also treated with OG biowar and Spirotetramat (Kontos / Movento). The crop wasnt even half of what it should have been and i ended up spending more on predators than what i got back and the buds came out shit.

Ive tried to start some more seeds and clones from a friend. Started them all with Swirskii mite sachets inside the propagator, hoping that i had defeated them on the last run. Once the plants were big enough I moved them out the propagator, but the broads / russets appear to have resurfaced.

As soon as i noticed the first signs of damage nearly a week ago, I applied a root drench of Spirotetramat (Kontos/Movento), and also sprayed the plants down with Abamectin (Avid / Plant Vitality) on the same day. 2 days later I followed up with a spray of Spiromesifen (Forbid 4F / Oberon), then 2 days later sprayed them again with Abamectin (Avid / Plant Vitality).

Since the last application of Abamectin (Avid / Plant Vitality), all the new growth on my plants appears to be burned up and fried real bad.

I always spray at lights off, and left the lights off for around 8 hours or so before turning them back on. My plants are only under 200w of T5's, so I dont think it was the lights that fried them. Im guessing it could maybe be due to phytotoxicity?

Im just wondering if you guys think they will come back around or not? The damage doesnt appear as bad in the pics, but all of the tops and new growth is burnt up real bad. Obviously i wanted to keep treating them and get rid of these bastard broads / russets, but im abit hesitant to keep treating them as the plants look like a write off.

View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image
How do they look now? Did they grow out of it?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Transplant with a good medium so roots can uptake not from current pesticide soil. God luck!!

Grapefruitroop

Hey hey hey.....
Abamectin can defnitely bother the plant tissue if too concentrated or oversprayed..(its hilarious that the damage from abamectin is very similar to the damage of BM..but....
Those plants do not look affected by BM IMO....Otherwise the leaves would be completely tacoed, the top would shrink in size drammatically and you wouldn see any green healty leaf.
DSCN0868.jpg
I had a similar issue , that actually happens randomly after i transplant freshly rooted cuts...
Some , very few looks like that but after few days they grow out completely healty and fine...
Im not sure what it is but to me looks like some root damage....given the fact that they get on track fast...

Question to OP : Do you have a scope to see them?Have you seen mites on the plants on picture?
The damage of BM can resemble many other problems...and more than once i taugh i have em but after a accurate scoping i ended up understanding that BM wasnt the problem (Sometime transpiration problems, ph swings, sensitivity to this or that spray, nutrient burn, mag deficiency...heat....)

Last edited:

Green81

Veteran
Hey hey hey.....
Abamectin can defnitely bother the plant tissue if too concentrated or oversprayed..(its hilarious that the damage from abamectin is very similar to the damage of BM..but....
Those plants do not look affected by BM IMO....Otherwise the leaves would be completely tacoed, the top would shrink in size drammatically and you wouldn see any green healty leaf.
View attachment 544800
I had a similar issue , that actually happens randomly after i transplant freshly rooted cuts...
Some , very few looks like that but after few days they grow out completely healty and fine...
Im not sure what it is but to me looks like some root damage....given the fact that they get on track fast...

Question to OP : Do you have a scope to see them?Have you seen mites on the plants on picture?
The damage of BM can resemble many other problems...and more than once i taugh i have em but after a accurate scoping i ended up understanding that BM wasnt the problem (Sometime transpiration problems, ph swings, sensitivity to this or that spray, nutrient burn, mag deficiency...heat....)

I sometimes see my Old blues cheese cut doing this after taking cuttings but they all tend to grow out after putting new roots out and yield is normal.

Blazeee

Veteran
Hello everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the advice and great info.

How do they look now? Did they grow out of it?

I kept them around for 2 weeks after burning them, then ended up binning them as they wern't making a comeback. It wouldn't have been worth my time or effort, especially as they had showed no sign of improvement.

I ended up tearing that tent down, cleaning the room and setting up a small propagation tent and took in 2 small cuts from a friend who is broad and russet mite free.

The new cuts were given one root drench treatment of the Movento (spirotetramat) and are looking ok, not displaying any signs of pest damage atm. They didnt come with thrips from my mates spot, but the Movento appears to have taken care of them.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I cant speak in regards to the pesticide burn, but I got hit hard by the russets too. Lost a good chunk of plants, cleaned my area used neem, green cleaner, spinosad, pyrethrin, nothing seemed to work. Tried using beneficials, applied fallacis,andersoni, cucumeris plus hypoasis miles and they seemed to fix everything up. I dont think swiirski is the best option for russet, plus theyre expensive. fallacis and andersoni are both better suited.

Thanks for the info on the predator mites, I have previously tried using The swirskii's and Cucumeris, they were able to help knock them back but didnt wipe them out completely. I will definately look in to adding the fallacis and andersoni next time i flower, or in veg if these pesticide treatments dont work out.

Eyesdownchronic thats interesting to know about the other types of predatory mites. Ive only used phytoseiulus mites but they were for european red spider mite. Do you have a good uk source for the other predatory mites?

G81

I was previously ordering my mites from here mate.

https://www.dragonfli.co.uk/

https://ladybirdplantcare.co.uk/

Hey hey hey.....
View attachment 544800

Hello mate, thanks for your response.

With the picture that you posted, I have had the same thing happen occasionally to cuts in the past and they always have grown out of it, however i dont think that is the case here

Yes those pics at the start of the thread, may not appear to have BM / russets, but im positive that they were still here.

I have been fighting these bugs for over a year. I have previously scoped infected plants with a x100-250 handheld scope and was able to positively I'D russet mite. I also bought a cheap usb microscope from amazon, however was unable to I'D anything under that (was able to get some super close up shots of the swirskii mites though).

Here are pics of damage that i have previously found on other plants. For me the early signs that I see are leaves getting bumps / blisters, strange leaf hook / curl, then they start to do the weird twist in the middle. Also on the run where i treated with predators, I was still seeing those symptoms, started to see pistils dying off around week 3 flower. Here you can see the leaf hook and twist, I will try and upload some more pictures later of previous damage i have seen on plants.

Ou9iTPO.jpg

7EeVkQv.jpg

jx3vu6k.jpg

cL4RXbR.jpg

PytmFti.jpg