What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

40ft insulated reefer grow

Piff_cat

I’m still dialing in my temps, rh and vpd overall. I’m trying to be frugal and use outside air but it’s super dry here so I have a hard time keeping humidity up. Just installed a new humidifier setup and getting it set up on a large reservoir.

Currently mid to high 80s and 65 rh until my humidifier runs out of water
Those sound perfect humidity so important in open spaces. Really like this thing they are perfect for growing . Very reproducible program once you nail it down. Microclimate control with no construction

Desert Hydro

Veteran
@Desert Hydro

I am also looking to start a SOG in a reefer setup!

What should I look out for??

Would be great if you could share your learnings!
It really depends on what you are going for. My basic set up is that I have two 1 ton mini splits and that is enough to cool all of my LEDs and the container itself even when it gets 115° here. I run my lights at night so they don’t have to work as hard, but it’s still close to 100° at midnight in the peak of summer. Ideally, you want the option to run the room sealed with CO2 or ventilated with fresh air depending on the season but each one presents its own challenges. Where I live the outside air is super dry and I have to supplement humidity . When I run sealed usually the plants put off enough humidity to where I have to run a dehumidifier if the ACs aren’t running enough to dehumidify. my container is insulated with R 30 all the way around so it’s really efficient. I like to spray the nastiest bug spray and granules all around the outside of my container to make a perimeter of mostly bug free zone.

kingape

It really depends on what you are going for. My basic set up is that I have two 1 ton mini splits and that is enough to cool all of my LEDs and the container itself even when it gets 115° here. I run my lights at night so they don’t have to work as hard, but it’s still close to 100° at midnight in the peak of summer. Ideally, you want the option to run the room sealed with CO2 or ventilated with fresh air depending on the season but each one presents its own challenges. Where I live the outside air is super dry and I have to supplement humidity . When I run sealed usually the plants put off enough humidity to where I have to run a dehumidifier if the ACs aren’t running enough to dehumidify. my container is insulated with R 30 all the way around so it’s really efficient. I like to spray the nastiest bug spray and granules all around the outside of my container to make a perimeter of mostly bug free zone.
Thanks!

I too live in a super hot and dry climate, so I really can learn a lot from you!

How has been your experience with SOG? What's the planting density? How many clones/mother plant? How do you water?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Thanks!

I too live in a super hot and dry climate, so I really can learn a lot from you!

How has been your experience with SOG? What's the planting density? How many clones/mother plant? How do you water?
I don't normally do much SOG anymore since I am severely limited on plant counts now. I used to jump through a bunch of hoops to get my plant counts up, but as they say 'mo plants, 'mo problems lol. SOG presents its own set of challenges. if you arent worried about plant counts you can do a whole lot in a short amount of time, but it complicates watering systems and proper spacing. I would always veg way too long and then have to trim and train after the fact. the only decent way of watering a SOG is with correct pump sizing and a regulated drip system. i have done flood and drain systems but then you always have to contend with salt buildup and routine flushing.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I made these seeds from my super petrol male crossed to the grease monkey clone. I think they might be slightly indica dominant lol. If anyone is in the market for some send me a PM. I will do a dozen for 20 bucks. I have Popped almost 150 and have a 99% germination rate. Between me and three other local friends, we are going to pheno Hunt all of the seedlings in this picture and get the top five tested.

Attachments

• F2A3BF15-8862-4446-A020-A9779B8D909E.jpeg
    F2A3BF15-8862-4446-A020-A9779B8D909E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 4EEE57B9-B68C-4A33-B0E6-F51B9352A356.jpeg
    4EEE57B9-B68C-4A33-B0E6-F51B9352A356.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Cruising along nicely now. The runoff was pretty high so I gave them a thorough flush and diluted the runoff till it was in range and then added it back to the reservoir. They perked up by the next day. I think I am going to give them about 7 to 10 more days and then flip the switch.

Attachments

• 9272735C-4D8F-47C6-97B6-3E4EDE99903D.jpeg
    9272735C-4D8F-47C6-97B6-3E4EDE99903D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 3798CDFC-9D9A-4C3D-A2DF-787EF21FAEF4.jpeg
    3798CDFC-9D9A-4C3D-A2DF-787EF21FAEF4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 70

Desert Hydro

Veteran
They seemed to have responded really well to the flush and have taken off like crazy. I think I’m going to go ahead and flip tomorrow. I always overdo it on veg and these are pushing the boundaries already. Before and after training

Attachments

• ABA4FE85-EA0E-4E7D-AB3D-C254194E8717.jpeg
    ABA4FE85-EA0E-4E7D-AB3D-C254194E8717.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 33207139-7488-4A3A-8599-7ACE708C811C.jpeg
    33207139-7488-4A3A-8599-7ACE708C811C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Dialing everything in nicely now. Watering is on a timer, recirculation is on a timer, and now I just have to monitor the EC and pH. I adjust it down to 1.2 and 5.6 or so and within two days it will be 1.7 and 6.3 so it’s a nice swing through the sweet spot. I may set the pH to adjust automatically but I still need to rebuild a door since my dumb ass installed the tiniest door they sell at Lowe’s and it was a nightmare getting stuff in and out so I ripped out the door and half a wall and then never replaced it 😂

I went ahead and set all the lights to full power today. I will take measurements with the quantum meter to see if they need to be raised or lowered.
FC237A1A-815F-46EB-86EB-7743DB12513E.jpeg

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I went in last night, and the plants were looking kind of poopy. Obvious signs of overwatering, which didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I went through and checked my digital timer, and apparently I did not save the settings when I set it up so it was set to water for six minutes every hour lol, no wonder they were looking a little waterlogged. I unplugged the timer overnight to allow them to dry out and get some air and then today I will set them back up to water twice a day for six minutes. Crisis averted

kingape

I went in last night, and the plants were looking kind of poopy. Obvious signs of overwatering, which didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I went through and checked my digital timer, and apparently I did not save the settings when I set it up so it was set to water for six minutes every hour lol, no wonder they were looking a little waterlogged. I unplugged the timer overnight to allow them to dry out and get some air and then today I will set them back up to water twice a day for six minutes. Crisis averted
If you're using IoT devices I'd suggest you to get some which work with Tasmota which is an open source software for them.
I have seen cloud issues getting a room flooded