What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If light leaks make plants herm...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I sometimes find mature seeds in dope that shouldn't have any. I currently have such a seed sprouting from a pack of Runtz. It may have had some random pollen hit the plant, but what if it was just a herm?

Anyways, will light cause a plant to make it's own seeds, which are true to the genetics of the female that made the seeds?

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If a person finds old elite seeds, has a female pop, takes a clone, gets it to herm, isn't that a good way to get more of those lost genetics back? I was thinking of the guy with a couple Piff seeds he got from many pounds. I have a Runtz plant going that came from such a seed.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Some plants herm, light leeks are irrelevant. If the leek is too much, the plant will continue to veg, or reveg.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Anyways, will light cause a plant to make it's own seeds, which are true to the genetics of the female that made the seeds?

If you have one female and it pollinates itself, then you have a S1 of that plant. No different than if you used STS or CS to reverse the plant to pollinate itself. S1s are not identical to the parent....one finds variations within the offspring.

Plants are more intelligent than we give them credit for. Everything they do is a calculated response,including the legendary bagseed strains which no "breeder" can match.

Is anyone actually bothered by a few seeds here and there? Say one seed per ounce?

If light leaks cause hermaphrodism, do they also cause every ovary except a handful to become barren? What breeder can pollenate a single seed pod?

How does the plant select where and how many anthers to sprout?

If you let the female plant do the breeding and leave yourself, a horny male, out of the equation, will you strengthen the gene pool without outbreeding?

Are their plants that will turn herm, produce hundreds of pollen sacks and pollinate every calyx in the room? Never seen it personally. I don't grow feminized, cheminized whatever. The best bud anyone ever grew put out at least 1 perfect golden child, in seed form, per plant. Human selection pales in comparison. Imagine if aliens tried to pick your wife for you because her feet smell like your favorite cheese strain.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
When someone sits on one side of a seesaw and the other side rises, the seesaw isn't making any calculations.

G

Consider how bright the moon is on a full moon clear night. Does that mean all of those plants will produce male pollen to reproduce, whether stress flowers or true hermaphroditism? Nope. Absolutely not.

If you're routinely getting either (stress-caused) male flowers on a true female, or hermaphroditism, you're either dealing with an environmental stressor greater than some pin-holes of light, or you have a more unstable plant.

Sincerely and seriously.

Badfishy1

Consider how bright the moon is on a full moon clear night. Does that mean all of those plants will produce male pollen to reproduce, whether stress flowers or true hermaphroditism? Nope. Absolutely not.

If you're routinely getting either (stress-caused) male flowers on a true female, or hermaphroditism, you're either dealing with an environmental stressor greater than some pin-holes of light, or you have a more unstable plant.

Sincerely and seriously.

Glad to see your posts sir. Hope you and the family are doing well

Badfishy1

I sometimes find mature seeds in dope that shouldn't have any. I currently have such a seed sprouting from a pack of Runtz. It may have had some random pollen hit the plant, but what if it was just a herm?

Some would argue the issue is the genetics.

G

Some would argue the issue is the genetics.

Thank you for the kind regards, Fishy.

Yes, this last go 'round, I had a number of new-to-me seeds from Bodhi (a number of White Lotus, & a few Space Cake), and some new-to-me Mandala Seeds Satori; a test run.

I also was doing, in another area, what I sometimes do, after known, stable moms have provided cuttings, and are large enough to not worry about perpetuating, instead using the newer clones to perpetuate, and sending the spent mothers into bloom, after rejuvenation.

I knew I was still dealing with adjustments to my soilless mix, and the P levels were WAY down on H2O extraction tests, with N and K being elevated to different degrees. I was also a little light on some of my micro-nutes, but fine on others. ph was about a 6.9.

My older girls (the regenerated, otherwise spent moms) got about the same feed and soil regimen as the newer stock, but the old, more stable, hand-picked over the years <pun intended?>(including a 23 year old California Indica, and a going on 20-year old Greenhouse Super Lemon Haze) had nearly 0 seeds on them.

To varying degrees, the newer test girls, having culled the males among them as soon as they were spotted, which I know in some cases might have been a bit late (but still operating on the believe that airborne pollen is time-limited re. vitality/potency) had sometimes lots, sometimes less, sometimes few, but ALL of them had seeds.

Increased auxins, too much kelp (see increased auxins), too little P, or other nutrient stressors, as well as some ph issues, if more than mild, can and have ALL caused stress flowers to some degree.

At one point, trying to make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak, I simply accepted, years ago, that the benefit of going ahead and sampling new stock, even in notably imbalanced mixes, was that it was a method of sorting out stable from unstable plants. "A prize in every box!!"

If nutes are right, ph is right, and plants are stable, there will be few to no seeds, as long as you keep the male plants' pollen away.

Last edited:

Burt

Veteran

My halfbaked theory is that the named and popular clones we all love S1 themselves naturally and purposefully. This theory is only potent if you believe plants are intelligent in the first place. I keep finding it to be true in 99% of cases. Sour Diesel, OG Kush, Chemdawg, headband, blueberry, ice cream cake and tropaya are the ones that quickly come to mind as having this “trait”
That being said you should expect the seed to be very similar to the Runtz mom it came from.
The seed is referred to as selfed and often noted as S1.
This is how many clone only elites are sold as feminized seeds.

Aspenou812

Veteran

I’ve seen that too and tried to grow out 3 seeds off a pre98 bubba kush the resulting plants were a mess 3 way different phenos one was male and the bud was shit... I know there was no stray pollen and light stress caused the issue... so those random seeds like that may or may not be worth the time... only way to tell is to pop them and find out I suppose... the buds were loose and fluffy nothing like the rock hard nugs off a pre98 bubba... several of the leaves were twisted and oddly shaped too...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Not all S1's are equal. That applies to ones that are made properly, and S1's of Hermy plants.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I’ve seen that too and tried to grow out 3 seeds off a pre98 bubba kush the resulting plants were a mess 3 way different phenos one was male and the bud was shit... I know there was no stray pollen and light stress caused the issue... so those random seeds like that may or may not be worth the time... only way to tell is to pop them and find out I suppose... the buds were loose and fluffy nothing like the rock hard nugs off a pre98 bubba... several of the leaves were twisted and oddly shaped too...

I hope the Lemon Bubba I have growing in my 2nd run thread (LB) sn't like that. verdant Green says I have some goofy pheno.

As for the OP (orig plant), that Runtz is a really good plant. It survived my torture, and thrives on my first attempt, getting all the mistreatment first because it was 2 or 3 days ahead of the other seeds I popped to accompany it. It has nice structure, makes lots of bud, and smells fantastic.

I want to try to induce some selfies from it. I am not set up for clones, but want some of these seeds. Can I hit a few bud sites with lite and force them to make a S2? Any other ways?