What's new

Dr Greenthumb - Why do you think nobody seems to grow his gear?

v1ru5

He has some good strains on offer.

What do you think is the reason that you don't see much topics (or messages) where his gear is being grown?

Is it only because of the prices?

Or am I missing something?

I have been actually wondering this for almost a decade. :D

CaptainDankness

His $200 for 2 G13 fems that are not even original G13 kind of bothered me.

That and I've never really heard of any stellar reviews, so the prices don't seem justified at all. Blueberry, SSH, Mango Haze, Widow, AK-47, GG#4, etc., etc. just so much more than the doc has to offer and lower prices on absolutely everything.

I do need to try ordering some KC Brains seeds though. I like his prices, just never tried them.

v1ru5

I've been eyeing on his ECSD S1's for several years now, and thought I'd post this topic here :)

So you are saying its the price. (btw, this would be my guess too)

Anyone else?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
His personal care was lacking for me. I emailed him some questions and he gave me a one sentence answer which was not complete. I guess he is busy though. Did not return another email question.

His Panama Red was legit. I think his genetics overall are good. I think he rubs people the wrong way and the prices are at the top end for what they are.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I had my eye on his Kashmir Resin Factory years ago but price and reports of how he treats customers put me off.
These days there are probably equivalent or cheaper options.

sire

Hello all I've actually purchased his gear a few times I will say he has some pretty nice quality things they are rather High his personality is very anal but he does have some pretty strong genetically sounded strains his Bubba OG is the truth and his chemdawg #4 one of the best tasting plants and strongest plant I have ever had

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He was online way back iI forget when and I bought a 200 pack seeds of a strain he called Niagara which was supposedly developed for northern climates, Some months went by and I never got the seeds he would seldom respond to my inquiries then finally he had the nerve to say if I complain about it online he would never send me my seeds, so he literally blackmailed me...I eventually got a plastic box filled with what looked the birdseed with white premature seeds all over the place it was total junk ...I grew some and it was total junk...total rip-off

GanjaMisfit

I've grown his bubba og for years and it's legit. I've had many many strains come and go but that one has always had a place in my room. A buddy of mine paid $200 for 2 seeds when he first released them. One seed leaned heavy to the og side and was OK but the other was the perfect blend of bubba and og. I thought it was stupid to pay that price for seeds and still do but hard to complain when you get a cut that has crushed it for over a decade and is still better than most of the new polyhybrids of today.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
He was online way back iI forget when and I bought a 200 pack seeds of a strain he called Niagara which was supposedly developed for northern climates, Some months went by and I never got the seeds he would seldom respond to my inquiries then finally he had the nerve to say if I complain about it online he would never send me my seeds, so he literally blackmailed me...I eventually got a plastic box filled with what looked the birdseed with white premature seeds all over the place it was total junk ...I grew some and it was total junk...total rip-off

No soup for you!

BadRabbit

He has some good strains on offer.

What do you think is the reason that you don't see much topics (or messages) where his gear is being grown?

Is it only because of the prices?

Or am I missing something?

I have been actually wondering this for almost a decade. :D

I gave it a try and it was a crashing, expensive fail. I've heard others have good results, so there it is.

clearheaded

plenty of people obv buy his stuff or wouldnt advertize in HT for decade (s).. he early on offered S1s of "legit" clone onlys ie katsu og cheese ecsd etc. over past 10 years EVERYONE and there dog has s1 s of hype varieties. some people liked that didnt have to order from europe.. he did offer some different varieties aswell that lent to outdoor canadian growers, however i dont think he gets as much biz as he could but his biz model is doing less not more sales. if kept prices reasonable he could easily sell 5X as much but thats not what he wants as thats more of a headache.. and his website hasnt been updated since 95 lol. so teh biz he does get isnt from internet savy people. mostly old folks i imagine.

JetLife175

Veteran

That and I've never really heard of any stellar reviews, so the prices don't seem justified at all. Blueberry, SSH, Mango Haze, Widow, AK-47, GG#4, etc., etc. just so much more than the doc has to offer and lower prices on absolutely everything.

I do need to try ordering some KC Brains seeds though. I like his prices, just never tried them.

That g13 was worth every single penny. Different strokes for different folks!

clearheaded

pics? any flavor or all yeild? i mean def a reason g13haze and g13hp are still bangers.

but the fact he sold as original and not original kinda skeezy but to each there own. esp when can purchase clones that will make u alot of money for cheaper and actually took some selection by the sellers seems a little weird. but charlese theron.

geneva_sativa

grew some of his 16 year old regular seeds outdoor this year,, folks cant get enough of it,,,

but between the passive-aggresive hypocrosy of cancel culture,, and the loss of cohesion within the canna community,, no surprise you dont hear more people chime in with their experiences

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

Hey CD.. what makes his G13 'not original'.. he says it's original cut.
I don't know myself please gimme more on this if you can. I have no horse in this race just information hunting.

EDIT: I wish I could stop buying seeds..

CaptainDankness

That g13 was worth every single penny. Different strokes for different folks!

Yeah, I've definitely seen a few people happy with his G13, along with a lot more people who said it really wasn't worth the money. I'm sure a lot would go by luck, as you're not getting a lot of plants to select the best pheno from. Plus I highly doubt the G13 cut is better than all the cuts today.

I also have a little bit of Jew in me and refuse to pay more for seed than gold, but different strokes I guess. :tiphat:

sshz

A few things........

1. Most people do not know he tried to sell the entire business a year or two ago and didn't find a buyer. He's has some family issues of some sort, which has only made him more cantankerous and difficult to work with. He's not a people person, just a short answer here and there, if that.

2. He's expensive no doubt, buy them or not- your choice. The last year or two there have been many reports on his stuff not sprouting or not being delivered. My last order took over a month to the USA, but i got it.

3. His G13 is legit, he paid a fortune (like $10K) for seeds of it. It's well documented if you search for the history of G13 on another site. But, with that, it's better as breeding material than a straight smoke. The yield is over the top.

4. His best strain is the ECSD, his Chem hybrids are also great.

Lastly, I think others are offering better items for that kind of money. Time has passed this guy by, and with the sprouting issues, I'd pass and look elsewhere.

CaptainDankness

Hey CD.. what makes his G13 'not original'.. he says it's original cut.
I don't know myself please gimme more on this if you can. I have no horse in this race just information hunting.

EDIT: I wish I could stop buying seeds..

He lied about who he got the cut from for years, then switched up his whole story when some guy claiming to be Jim Ortega claimed to have sold the cut to Dr. Greenthumb.

Anything is possible, but I don't believe anything he or the guy claiming to be Jim Ortega say, because it's all about making a profit. Plus if it was that good it would be at least as big as GG#4 today, but it's been available over 10 years and you don't hear many great reviews.