What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did the vikings smoke weed?

Rurumo

Hashhish was a concentrated, easily transported, and extremely popular ancient plant resin traded across the ancient world for thousands of years, right alongside Frankincense and Myrrh. The Vikings were absolutely exposed to it, whether or not they widely used hash or other cannabis products is just not known. We do know that cannabis becomes popular everywhere it travels throughout history.

Lebanizer

If they had access to it, definitely they smoked it and perhaps used Edibles.

There were not a lot of options for Pain Management in those days.

But where, in their normal travels, would they come to Cannabis growing regions ?

The Hindu Kush mountains are a long way from Norway.

I would think that once they found out about Cannabis, if they couldn't get it semi-locally like in Spain, they sent out employees specifically to get them Opium poppies and Cannabis.

Not like they had much choice. Removing teeth with zero anaesthesia is not fun.

Even with alcohol.
Pain management for Vikings ? My god what a let down ! These guys turn out to be total sissies and wimps !

Taima-da

I was reading recently that a large proportion of the best Viking blades -or at least the steel for them- that still exist originated in...
Afghanistan...

In this article they note " a known Viking trade route down the Volga and across the Caspian Sea to Iran"

Last edited:

Blue Rhino

Considering humans have been cultivating hemp/cannabis for at least 12,000 years I'd be surprised if there wasn't some use of it among at least some of the Vikings.

X15

The Vikings were very curious people. They were some of the first known sailors and sailed all over the world. They lived off the land and sea, and guess what? Cannabis grows in both those places.

Something else to consider… Cannabis is a very alluring plant, it doesn’t matter if you are a deer or human or cop or mom… you know when you are in the presence of something amazing.

Cannabis is the real MVP!

You all ever watch Time Team? With Tony Robinson!

Its on YouTube, got a channel. Theres like 20 seasons on there and if you are into Viking history or British History… you’ll dig it! Or they will lol check it out!