What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issue with new growth turning purple

browntrout

Veteran
Hello all,

I am wondering if you can help me with this issue, these strains are not purple.

The issue varies from branch to branch and almost every strain in the garden has this issue.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 67844796_475480249911983_8517587023245082624_n.jpg
    67844796_475480249911983_8517587023245082624_n.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 49

troutman

Seed Whore
If you read the link I posted above it indicates cooler nights causes less phosphorus to be available and purpling. :tiphat:

It's the joy of being in a Northern region without a greenhouse.

mack 10

Veteran
I'd say temps? Or a pH lockout causing something to fall out?
(from either too much or not enough P)
We get buds like that when grown outdoor in the UK.
Usually end of September though
When it starts to get really cold.

browntrout

Veteran
I'd say temps? Or a pH lockout causing something to fall out?
(from either too much or not enough P)
We get buds like that when grown outdoor in the UK.
Usually end of September though
When it starts to get really cold.

I am more inclined with this logic in addition to temp swings etc., the plants that are affected more are the lighter plants. When I had done the soil report P was the most depleted and since have added amendments to try and resolve the issue. PH was also down, I am going to add even more lime (includes calcium magnesium) with a feeding of high P water soluble.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I've seen that many times. Temp swing for sure. We had an early week in the high 80's followed by some cool nights and every plant looked like that. Even some tomatoes. Grew right out of it. No reason for concern.

browntrout

Veteran
I've seen that many times. Temp swing for sure. We had an early week in the high 80's followed by some cool nights and every plant looked like that. Even some tomatoes. Grew right out of it. No reason for concern.

Not so sure about this, I have seen it persist through flower in the past. Temperature has been stabilizing as of recent. Here is an update. The branches with more purple are of smaller size including stems/leaves.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

zappa66

Any update? I’m having the same issue, just started to add cal mag but it’s too early to tell what is any effect it’ll have.

browntrout

Veteran
Any update? I’m having the same issue, just started to add cal mag but it’s too early to tell what is any effect it’ll have.

No solution yet, I've used a lot of Dolomite Lime which has calcium / magnesium. And my levels via lab report seem fine, my PH is down.

I've added ground oyster shells, Fish bone meal and 6-12-12 time release as a top dressing in order to raise PH and add P/K.

We have a large 30mm rain coming tomorrow I am told.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Deffo low temps at night. It causes a build-up of pigments in the top half of new leaves and by your photos, I'd say it was a safe bet.
Regards,
Iffy

browntrout

Veteran
Same issue again this year, growth slows the worse it gets, buds are 1/3 of the size and grow irregular.

It is not superficial and some majorly hindering the plants ability to grow/produce.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I had a couple Autos go dark purple. Buds were almost black. Wish I could get a whole harvest like that. Awesome bag appeal.

Out of curiosity, what IS the pH of the soil and the water you are giving them?

I use rain water, and make sure it's not overly acidic. Adding fertilizer to that water WILL raise the pH somewhat, so it's a factor.

This doesn't look like pH lockout though... it looks like a temperature issue but I trust you when you say there haven't been swings in temps.

I'm following in the hopes to learn MOAR hahaha