What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odds of ALL males?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I planted some F2 seeds and didn't have time to presex them before they went outside. I got 9 of 9 males. What are the odds? I thought it was normally 50%. I am good at presexing and sexing in the grow. I guess Karma is messing with me as I got 6 of 8 females last year from the same batch of seeds.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Whose shuffling your beans?

I once planted 10 of 20 and got all females, haven't planted the rest yet. If I'm looking for a male it may be a good bet.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Just to put it into perspective based on 50/50 odds for one seed being female, from 8 seeds you have a 99.61% chance of getting at least 1 girl.

Edit: lol...for 9 the chances are 99.8%

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Really old thread but a buddy just had 9 males and 1girl out of 10 seeds. He's pissed. Growing indoor.

Anyone know how/why this happens?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really old thread but a buddy just had 9 males and 1girl out of 10 seeds. He's pissed. Growing indoor.

Anyone know how/why this happens?

Simply luck of the draw, ive had it happen. Ive also had reg seed packs be like 8/10 female

It's not uncommon for heterogeneous genetics to change their sex based upon environmental influences, similar to how light leaks during flower can cause hermaphrodism.
I would say its completely genetic based, the more you homogenized your genetics, the higher female ratios you will get. Kinda like how feminizing genetics will increase female % but it also could cause a few herms to pop up. I've been working regular lines for quite sometime, you can reduce male ratios by feminizing the geno-type than backcrossing it will a relative male plant.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
On a more simplistic solution, I told him to put a fresh banana peel in a netcup, and placing the seeds and netcup in a jar for a week or two. The ethylene the fruit produces should help in the feminizing of the seeds (from what I've read). Anyone heard of that?

On a more simplistic solution, I told him to put a fresh banana peel in a netcup, and placing the seeds and netcup in a jar for a week or two. The ethylene the fruit produces should help in the feminizing of the seeds (from what I've read). Anyone heard of that?

I usually use colloidal silver spray that i make homemade, never heard of the banana trick, sounds highly interesting, i'm going to have to look into that

zif

Veteran
Your odds of all males from a 10 pack of (non-intersex) regular seeds are better than your odds of drawing four-of-a-kind in five card stud.

Odds from 8 seeds are very close to the odds of drawing a straight.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The banana trick would only work if you kept the plant surrounded by skins the whole flowering period lol. You can't flip male to express as female seeds like that.
Besides, would you really want to be growing reversed males?
If you want female seeds, buy them. If you want males, buy regular.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I don't like to sign in to watch YouTube videos on anything illegal really. I don't know what it says, but there's a reason you spray your females at flowering to get them to reverse, and not while they are seeds. Same reason you have to do it more than once. Hormones and hormone blockers are time specific and wear off.

I've reverse a male plant before, using CS, but it barely produced pistils, i'm going to have to agree with GMT. I don't think you can define sex before the embryo germinates, as even with PCR you require a small sample for presex testing. But also i'm not going to rule it out ether because i love hearing new methods of gene manipulation.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't like to sign in to watch YouTube videos on anything illegal really. I don't know what it says, but there's a reason you spray your females at flowering to get them to reverse, and not while they are seeds. Same reason you have to do it more than once. Hormones and hormone blockers are time specific and wear off.

You don't have to sign in I think. It's YouTube.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

I know all about feminizing. I do it all the time. But I always want to know more.

The crux of the question is:
with a dioecious plant, is the seed sex pre-determined or is it triggered at germination, or is it triggered by another mechanism?

In humans, the sex of an egg is NOT predetermined. Even at the time of fertilization.

I know all about feminizing. I do it all the time. But I always want to know more.

The crux of the question is:
with a dioecious plant, is the seed sex pre-determined or is it triggered at germination, or is it triggered by another mechanism?

In humans, the sex of an egg is NOT predetermined. Even at the time of fertilization.

If there is a method of presex before germination it would be a million+ dollar technique, the cannabis science industry is making a fortune off of PCR presexing kits. Honestly i think your on point, it could be all of the above. Environmental influence must dictate sex at some point, what happens if a isolated population just produced male plants?

hellfire

In humans sometimes you see families with 3 daughters or 3 sons, for us it is the male that determines the baby/offspring's sex. I bieve there is a similar thing that happens with cannabis plants where the parent's genes can throw a high female or high male population. Working with males (or possibly females) that tend to produce high female to low male ratios would be advantageous for commercial breeders.

Latest posts

Latest posts