What's new

Good pot size for soil

munkey

What size pot is a good size if I want to grow and flower 4 large plants under a 1000 watt light with roughly 2 months veg time? Are 50 gallon pots overkill? What is a realistic yield I can expect if I'm using a good yielding strain under a good grow?

In my opinion 30 gallons is overkill indoors.2 months veg 8 week flower only needs max ten gallons.Go with a a fabric type pot or air pot.I have some that vegged at least 6 weeks and are happy in 5 gallon fabric bags.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
3 gallon geo pots work well for me...I use anywhere from 1-30 gallon geos although I am flowering a 65 gal grand doggy purple mom vegged for 5 months (a crazy story behind how that happened) I'm expecting at least 2 lbs from her under a 600 hps. If not I will be disappoint :( she was rootbound in a 30 gal geo she has the roots for it.

munkey

Thank you guys for the help. Is 2 lbs doable with 4 plants under a 1k with 2 months veg using a good yielding strain? From my understanding the bigger the size pot the faster and bigger a plant can grow or am I wrong? 10 gallons seem a bit small but I have no experience. If using a 20 gallon pot would mean I can yield more under my circumstances I would probably opt to use a 20 gallon. But if the 20 gal pot yields same as a 10 gal pot theres no reason to use the 20. Can someone shed some light. Thanks.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Here's what I do, put sprouted seed in beer cups(16oz), when nearly root bound put in one gallon till nearly root bound again then go to 5 gallon. Works well for me and you.

ZZTops

Veteran
I work my way up, Solo, 1gal, 3gal, 5gal...

Never used more then a 5gal inside but that's just me...

munkey

Can 5 gallon soil pots grow 8 oz plants if I have 4 under a 1000 watt light? I'm want to hit 2 lbs per light and eventually higher. I was told to put a cutting directly into its final pot for faster and bigger growth instead of transplanting from pot to pot. Is that true?

I have gotten one time 12 oz off a black cherry soda in a 5 gallon smart pot..<< in a greenhouse... otherwise its been like 3-4 oz for the most part... good luck on 2lbs a light.. fuck i cant hit 1lb a light on a good day... so good luck.. its not for everyone.. greenhouse is my gig.

you can hope for a pound.2lbs a light is pro shit in sealed rooms with c02.Just get 5 gallon pots and let your first run be more about learning then trying to hit some kinda yeild.

RB56

Veteran
I think it depends on whether you expect the soil to provide all nutrients the plant will need or if you will be supplementing when you water. I grow in 5 gallon pails but supplement. Pretty sure the plants would run out of steam if I didn't.

munkey

I'm planning on doing organic soil where all I have to do is water. I have pulled 8 ozs of bubba kush off of a 20 gal smart pot under a 1k that took 1/4 the footprint the light covered so I don't think 2 lbs should be that hard to get. However it was grown in coco/perlite and vegged for over 3 months I lost track, could be 4 or 5. I'm not sure what yields organic soil can get but I'm really hoping that yields aren't that much lower in soil compared to hydro.

ozzieAI

Veteran
have you grown organic before? to have a 'water only' medium requires a very solid mix to be able to maintain nutes the plants require from go to whoa...

5 gal pots should be fine for indoors

Jhhnn

Veteran
Here's what I do, put sprouted seed in beer cups(16oz), when nearly root bound put in one gallon till nearly root bound again then go to 5 gallon. Works well for me and you.

That's my current method, using a bag of TGA supersoil split up at the bottom of six 5 gal pots. I previously used 3 gal pots & liquid nutrients, but I'm not the best at being a junior plant nutrition chemist. Both strains are new to me, and I was hoping to finish this grow just with water. Until last week, everything was peachy. 11 weeks old, 6 weeks in flower, one strain is showing what looks like a calcium def, I hope, rather than something weirder & worse. They got cal-mag- we'll see how it goes. These coco based mixes seem to do strange stuff with calcium. If I can get that under control, Dry bud yield may exceed 16 oz, under a 1000w dual arc lamp, which would be the best effort so far. They're both 10-11 week strains, supposedly.

4 plants in 7 gal pots, vegged longer, would likely yield similar results, I suspect.

Over time, over multiple grows, there's clearly a trade off between the yield of short flowering strains & those that flower longer, achieving more bud per plant. That obviously matters more to commercial growers, which I'm not. I just want an endless supply of pure freaking dynamite for headstash.

munkey

I have never done organic before. Farthest I have went with organics is the GH organics line in coco. Can you use coco instead of peat when making your own soil? I am seeking an easy way to grow organically without all the hassle of a hydro grow and without sacrificing too much yield. I'm looking into vertical growing to hit my 2 lb mark.

Latest posts

Latest posts