What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone ever gotten mites from coco?

tilopa

Found out I had Russet mites, very very nasty. I can't figure out how they got in as I did not introduce clones, or other people to the room. And outside I have no plants, of any kind really. So, unless they hitched a ride on my shoes, which seems unlikely, I can only think of the coco as the source.

Has anyone heard of this?

I had to kill all my veg plants and reset. I want to continue to use coco but definitely not if here is even a chance I got those evil fuckers from it.

BTW - I'm using a compressed coco block.

nivek

karma sent friend,, never had russets

but,, i have had darn near everything else,,

i found the critters were being introduced to my grow thru the potting soil and/or the peat moss i was using

i have been mite free since i switched to hempy

more karma sent friend,, no clue how to advise about russets

ULMW

yep coco bricks are often loaded with mites as they are mass produced and so cheap compared to the already moist coco from Canna for example.
I have been battling mites and see they will lay eggs in coco and then get everywhere.
Try hanging sticky papers like fly traps in there with them and catch the flying mites. Add more fans to piss them off too. Add a spray to the pots surfaces to try limit new lava.
bleach down all outer areas of your grow, clean and double clean your containers and when you get chance clean the grow tent or grow area and disenfect everything Mites come from dirty conditions.
My dogs hair gets everywhere and so the notes enjoy that in wintertime and then go elsewhere so if you got pets in the area keep it hair free too.
Hope these steps help. Best wishes, I also recommend if it does not improve Stop and disenfect the whole grow area and start with all new all fresh...
Happy growing

troutman

Seed Whore
I now treat all grow medium as infected and spray an organic pesticide on the soil surface a few days after watering the plants for
the first time with a 2nd treatment 1 week later. It really cuts down on bugs if you get the 1st generation before they breed. Too
many people wait until they have an infestation to react. You want the bugs gone preferably before flowering begins if possible.

Legalcdn

They can hitch a ride in sunshine mix, promix if you start in peat moss. Then transplant to coco container, ride complete.

I like to add a layer of DE and then grow rocks when i transplant. In coco, it gets a couple liters of mosquito dunk (BTI) water for gnats. I also do drench BTI water when flipped to flower.

Then start with yellow sticky paper from the beginning. Tanglefoot is nice on the base stem.