What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBN

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
does anyone have any resources regarding CBN? for example the most efficient methods of achieving CBN content in butter making ect. i currently have very little info and havent had much success finding anything reliable on the web. im hoping someone at icmag has some experience or links to relevant resources on this topic. thanks in advance.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I believe that the THC will degrade with time and temperature to CBN. Data suggests that a 4 hour butter extract is about right for decarbing with water (100*C). Taking that out to 6 hours may do the trick. If you can find a chart with a longer time it may have CBN lines too.

One way I found was to forget about a jar that is exposed to ambient heat but not sunlight, for a year. The brown dry buds are little sleeping pills.

Edit: I was making a batch of cookies last night and thought of another opportunity to covert THC to CBN. Sometimes when I am in a hurry or lazy, I will melt the frozen cannabutter in a cup on the stovetop. Once it is melted I stir in the lechithin. Last night I got distracted and the butter sat there a while hotter than 210*F I imagine. This is another opportunity to tune your butter to make sleep effects. A good study showing the conversion would be better than guessing.

https://extractionmagazine.com/2020/08/24/converting-thc-to-cbn/

Last edited:

billy_big_bud!

Veteran
thanks for chiming in bro. from the limited information i have gathered thus far i was under the impression that 6 hours was the ideal time to activate CBN. that was just one source so im looking to cross reference information to make sure im on the right track. im also wondering if longer than 6 hours leads to more CBN or what the ideal conditions are for best results. i have heard the same thing about long term stored bud but who want to wait all that time right?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
thanks for chiming in bro. from the limited information i have gathered thus far i was under the impression that 6 hours was the ideal time to activate CBN. that was just one source so im looking to cross reference information to make sure im on the right track. im also wondering if longer than 6 hours leads to more CBN or what the ideal conditions are for best results. i have heard the same thing about long term stored bud but who want to wait all that time right?

cmon...somebody knows something....
I don't know crap on that subject but, I believe that if CBN is created by the degradation of THC, the more you go past the optimum time and temp, you will have a further decrease in THC without an appreciable increase in CBN. That is just an opinion mind you. :tiphat:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's been discussed in the concentrates forum which has been here for a long time. There are no magic wands available for you to wave - if there was, no one is going to tell you how to make one for free so you can start selling them. So you're not going to find anything.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It's been discussed in the concentrates forum which has been here for a long time. There are no magic wands available for you to wave - if there was, no one is going to tell you how to make one for free so you can start selling them. So you're not going to find anything.
I understand but not everyone is interested in commercializing!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
If it was said in PM, everyone would know tomorrow. If it was said here everyone would know now. The hack methods using heat and air and butter or something, is there serious testing on that, even basic before/after levels? Beware of eating something where it's not just the THC content that's changed.

billy_big_bud!

Veteran
ya im not here for the commercialization of anything. just wanting to make some CBN for help with insomnia. @G.O. Joe would you mind sharing a link to where you are referring to in the concentrate forum as i have had no luck finding it through a search. @swithcher ya i am aware that it is created from a longer processing time when making butter but im hoping for an actual formula for optimum CBN creation as i would assume at some point if you kept cooking the CBN could potentially transform into a different compound. im trying to find the CBN sweet spot if you will. thanks to everyone contributing. i appreciate it.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
if the ultimate goal is for you to know the process to get your own CBN, i got nothin.

otoh, if you just want to obtain it, and are willing to pay someone else, there are legit internet sources for hemp derived products containing CBN.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
How legit can CBN from hemp be? You're sure these aren't made with bro science and pesticide pot and sold as something else? There's no magic wand for non-chemists, but there definitely is for qualified persons. Are adequate chemists actually in the industry? Costs a little more.

HGCC

I have found that if I over decarb (say an hour at 350) and then run butter/coconut oil for a super long (24 hrs +) time using the standard slow cooker method it results in some of the sleepiest edibles i have encountered.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
How legit can CBN from hemp be? You're sure these aren't made with bro science and pesticide pot and sold as something else? There's no magic wand for non-chemists, but there definitely is for qualified persons. Are adequate chemists actually in the industry? Costs a little more.
well, the company i go to to get my broad spectrum tincture (hemp barn) offers test results.

distilling is becoming more and more common.

i wish i could find pure cbn, but the most i've seen is 50:50 cbn to cbd (local source).

one time i did the whole recollecting the cannabinoids from old pipes and roaches thing found on grey wolf's site (most of the way down the page) here: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

i guess it should have been heavily CBN-ated, but honestly when i ate it, i just got really frigging high to the point where i was seeing obvious faces in wood grain.

i guess i did fall asleep a few hours later, but that's common with getting really high on edibles, i've noticed.

Galaxy420

Hemp is CBD-a laden plants ... ther will be no CBN conversion in CBD-a plants . THC-a plants will convert over to that compound