What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keeping top layer of soil moist?

Having a hard time keeping the top layer of my organic soil mix moist. Concerned about the micro herd dying off. Suggestions?

I know some use mulch, lava rock/hydroton, cover crops... what are some pros/cons for these?

I'll be flowering in 5 gal smart pots

truck

i'm constantly battling the same thing as you. Either you have to have a tighter canopy if you have no mulch. But I suggest growstone if you are going to use a rock. it won't add unnecessary weight to your buckets. Bark mulch and CoCo are the two others i like as well. I'm going the coco route as i already use lots of rock in my soil mix and the coco will just continue to break down as i recycle it, i don't wan my recycled soil to get too rocky that i have to buy bulk inputs to compensate, I'm trying to play the long game by only adding what i need when i need it and slowly adjusting to my soil as it changes overtime, instead of trying to constantly create a homogeneous soil that ultimately results in excessive inputs, at least from my financial perspective on having to play a monthly budget game vs. a yearly budget. I don't have tons of storage space so buying bulk has worked against me ultimately leading to mice infestations or things just rotting or going bad. Also keeping a tight inventory allows for more accuracy and less loss overtime.

I wood

Cover crops work well but make it harder to deal some pests, like thrips.

A dead mulch with worms in each pot is working much better for me.

Smart pots dried out way too fast due to only visiting the garden every other day.
They were shelved until I get set up with blumats again, but would be great if the garden could be accessed daily.

Won't that cause things to heat up?

Are leaves I have pruned from my plants ok? Only source of leaves I know for certain have not been exposed to any chemicals.

Any threads you would recommend reading?

Floridian

Veteran
You could try using vermiculite in your soil mix but not too much,It is like the anti-perlite and good for water retention.

Apache Kush

What about topping the pots with a layer of DE ? (the diatomaceous earth)
I understand, D.E. turns some people off becuase its dusty, messy, and you don not want to breath it etc.

maybe a mix of rock stone and D.E.

not sure of its water holding capacity/uses but its white and would reflect some heat away from the top soil, right
... thoughts

Apache Kush

Bump....

what about a layer of panda film or mylar to reflect the photons back up
and away from the top soil, would that work?

Tried a cover layer of de a while back and it created a crust layer. I switched to 2-3 inches of alfalfa straw, (no fines). It lasts a full grow, no gnats, worms like it, maintains soil surface moisture.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Did you just scoop it out at chop time?

I could generally pour them off since when I grew like that the containers tended to get root bound (on purpose)

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts