What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf curling..Should I be worried?

vukman

Veteran
Hello Everyone:​

Please let me start by saying that I am very glad that a place like this exists for us to have and share information with one another. I have been reading, learning and absorbing information for quite some time now and have had 2 successful grows on the information I have obtained from here.

I have recently had to purchase a tent due to the issues I was starting to encounter with a lovely fragrance, in my opinion but not to the 2 other people that I live with.

The tent is a Sun Hut (35.5 x 58 x 84) ~approx. even though it's suppose to be a 2 x 4 x 7 I am running a 600w HPS light on an 18/6 hour cycle. 2 fans are inside the tent. 1-6" inline pulling through a Mountain Air filter and one household fan providing air circulation approx. 6-8" above the plants.

A promix 'soil' solution is what they are in and so far I have given them 2 feedings/waterings of 20-20-20 mixed in the water which is from the tap although it sits overnight with fertilizer in it. I do not have a PH tester nor do I have a cool-tube.

My issue,as will be seen in the images, which are not of the best quality due to them being taken in the tent during an on cycle so they are 'sodium colored', is the leaf curling.

Is it too extreme? Is this normal for very happy plants?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and once again, I am proud to be a member here

Mike

Last edited:

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
My experience tells me its looks like heat damage or wind burn. But it could easily be a number of things.

RetroGrow

Veteran
They appear overfed. And it's important to note that a PH meter is not an optional thing. You need to know the PH of your water. Gotta get a tester or at least the drops which are very cheap and work well. Reading won't be as exact as a meter but it's good enough. Many problems are PH related, so we need to know the PH to diagnose accurately.

S

Sat X RB

pity about the 'sodium colour'! makes analysis more difficult.

20-20-20 is a potent brew. did you feed this when the plants were dry? I hope not.

however as above, a pH meter is A MUST.

praisehim.

Veteran
raise your light a bit. Upwards curling like that is from to much heat on the surface of the leaf, from what ive experienced.

vukman

Veteran
Thank you all so very much for your quick and informative replies. Just quickly, no, I didn't feed them when they were dry and I've raised the light a substantial distance. I live in Toronto where we are undergoing another heatwave. Distance raised I'd say would be approx. 18" and I will also lay off the nutrients as well for the next few waterings.

Also, on the ASAP list is the PH meter.............:smile:

Once again, I am indebted to you all for your knowledge and willingness to share it..

Yours Truly
Mike

vukman

Veteran
Just wanted to say that all of the input was put to use and the lamp was raised. I did manage to find a Ph kit that I had for a fish tank. I know it's not the best substitute for a digital one but it'll work for now.

The ladies are doing much better even though it's only been one light cycle but what a difference a day makes. As for the watering, I have adjusted the Ph and went without nutrients this watering. Probably for the next as well.

Once again, thank you all for your invaluable input....

JHerbz

Just wanted to say that all of the input was put to use and the lamp was raised. I did manage to find a Ph kit that I had for a fish tank. I know it's not the best substitute for a digital one but it'll work for now.

The ladies are doing much better even though it's only been one light cycle but what a difference a day makes. As for the watering, I have adjusted the Ph and went without nutrients this watering. Probably for the next as well.

Once again, thank you all for your invaluable input....

pH test kit is a pH test kit :p

I use the pool version!

Sounds like you are using Miracle-Gro?? If yes, be aware that it does not contain Mg. Also, think about growing organically...it's really not that difficult, it's very forgiving, and as long as you make a proper soil mix you won't need a pH meter. Imho, it is a much higher quality and healthier product. Check out the Organic Soil Forum.

If you're plants are really dark green you can skip a feeding or two for sure.

Blaz3

When you see the edges of the leaves start curling up..chances are very high its from too much heat..what are your temps..

vukman

Veteran
Hi All:

Thank you for keeping up the info on my issue. To RanchoDeluxe.......No, it is not Miracle Grow. Even though I am not much more than a pure rank amateur at growing, I would like to think that I've read enough to realize that M.G. is not the best thing out there.
The product is a so-called no-name but I chose it for the obvious 20-20-20 of the essentials. Then there is a 0.05% of Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese and Zinc.

As mentioned, I just started this grow in a tent which is my first time using a tent which leads into Blaz3's question for temps. For now, the temps in the tent are room temps and seeing how we are undergoing another heatwave, the issue is more and more likely the heat.

I am evacuating the heat and fanning as much as possible with the situation I have to constrain to. All I can say is that I hope it's enough and the girls are tough enough to survive it. They are calling for a nice cool down in 2 days so here's to keeping the finger's crossed.

As for once again getting to Rancho's mentioning of organics........That is something I'll definitely read up on.

thank you as always for your inputs.

Mike

Zdub7k

man....I've used miracle grow for veg on harvests that 99% of the members of this forum coudlnt touch...chem nutes are chem nutes...I've used it for years (especially outdoors) and havejust added cal/mag every other feeding. shit works great and for the bang for your buck, cant be beat. that being said, I would go for some high dollar stuff for flower (I use House and Garden). The curling your seeing is most likely too much heat. raise the light or crank up the heat removal part of your ventilation system. I find its much more the grower (grow room environment) than the strain(although good genes can never be overlooked), or the nutes used....It doesnt matter what strain I grow, it all turns out fire....But my room is dialed in...ie temps are low, ventilation and lights are very good and room is very clean. hope that helps, good luck and heavy harvests bro!

vukman

Veteran
Hiya:

I don't want to get into a war about which nutrients are better than others. I'm sure my no-name has the same chemical composition as many other 20-20-20 variety of nutrient/fertilizer.

I will say that when flowering, I use Fox Farm and there are people that will have issue with that. I guess whatever works best for one is what one should use.

As I said, not much better than rank amateur here due to this being only my 3rd grow and yes, it is a heat related issue. Raised the light and girls are much happier.....also have images in 'real colour' this time..Waited for lights out and then opened tent to snap a few..

Once again, thank you all for your help and support.

Mike

P.S. I 'fimmed' them, with semi-positive results just in case someone is going to comment on the growing tip.

S

SeaMaiden

I'm gonna guess it's Grow More you're using.

The plants appear to be slightly overfed, but not such a big deal. I think that you will learn a great deal, understand a lot more, when you learn about and how to manipulate vapor pressure deficit.

Too hot and not high enough relative humidity is my diagnosis.

Latest posts

Latest posts