What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A room full of swinging dicks...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
For the last 18 months, I have been working through ~70 breeder packs. I would keep the best looking male (or two) for each strain, and then if I liked the females, I would keep the male, but most would eventually get the chop. These would get put in the corner of the veg space and topped repeatedly. I managed to keep them (almost) all alive.

So, I am getting ready to make a boat load of crosses with keeper females, but I need to get that pollen first. I stopped all female flowering and put the males in the main room. These 24 males, from breeders including Ace, Bodhi, BOG, Dying Breed, Karma, Thug Pug, Tony Green, Top Dawg and a few others, have been flowering for about 2 weeks now.

I thought that I would create a thread and showcase some of the real studs. Below is a group picture at lights off today. More soon...

picture.php

~star~crash~

wait ...you actually grew out 70 packs of seeds for the goal of finding males? that's amazing ... how many plants did you sort thru ? how long did it take? what did you end up with? peace

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
So your plan is to collect pollen and then flower females and pollinate?

Nice looking man cave ya got there! Should result in some killer crosses.

I'll follow along and see what becomes of this orgy.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Ace Zamaldelica

Ace Zamaldelica

Up first are some early shots of one of my favorite sativas - Ace Zamaldelica. This stud is going to hit all of my best poly-hybrid girls to hopefully make something special (like cookie frost with soaring high).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
wait ...you actually grew out 70 packs of seeds for the goal of finding males? that's amazing ... how many plants did you sort thru ? how long did it take? what did you end up with? peace

Hey Star Crash! Yep, I grew some full packs and other half packs (at least 6 seeds). For a year and a half, I ran a perpetual setup with non-stop new genetics. I did run maybe a dozen ladies twice, but I estimate at least 250 different females. Very fucking cool experience.

The goal of this project was to select the very, very best females and males, and then make several hundred crosses (+100k seeds total) that I could spend the rest of my life exploring, breeding and working deep lines. Not for some glory of riches, but to do something that I love with the plant that I love...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
This is different..... I’m in! :lurk: What strains would you consider your top 3 males?

Thanks! Different indeed, so I thought I would share my experiences. Most people don't really get to watch their males develop and differentiate traits between strains.

At this point (only going off vigor and experiences with their sister plants), I would say:

Ace's Panama, Karma's Road Dawg & Dying Breed's Watermelon Zum Zum

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
So your plan is to collect pollen and then flower females and pollinate?

Nice looking man cave ya got there! Should result in some killer crosses.

I'll follow along and see what becomes of this orgy.

Hey Lester! Yep, plan is collect pollen from each strain individually, store in individual paper envelops, properly dry with desiccant and store long term in deep freezer. I will set aside a decent portion of pollen from each strain, and after I am done with males (and cleaned pollen from all areas), I will flower my keeper females and with a paint brush, individually dust labeled branches. Each female will have 10-16 tops (or potential for F2s or crosses).

So, less of an orgy (pollen chuck) and more of a really fucking big IVF program. He he. I know that I will have a bit of pollen drift, but if I can get ~80-90% accuracy than I will be super happy. I really don't mind if a happy accident creeps in.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
This is different..... I’m in! :lurk: What strains would you consider your top 3 males?

On second thought, I will add males from Dungeon Vault Genetic's Foul Mouth and False Teeth to list that I have the highest hopes for. Also have a Thug Pug Peanut Butter Breath male (very heavy breath dom) that mirrors a PBB female, which I consider the strongest non-sativa that I grew.

But that Panama... It checks virtually every box (yield, potency, balls to wall high, and strong vigor). I have two Panama males and three different keeper phenos of Panama females to play with.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Another stand out that I HAVE to mention is a cross between Chem D x i95 (aka Chem de la Chem). There was pissing and moaning on IG from JJ, which ironically lead me to the breeder - Matt Ross. I acquired both the F1 and F2 of strain, and found really outstanding specimens from both lines. The F2 seems to favor the Chem D, but lacks a bit of the vigor of the F1. The flowers are fucking top notch and great yields, but it requires heavy support with the weak stems. This strain is SCREAMING for another cross with top gear. I have males and females from F1 and F2.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Nice dick pics, show us some more.:biggrin: maybe throw in a few beaver pics. Lol

Ha ha. It ain't that kinda party, not that there's anything wrong with that... The ladies are in the other room patiently waiting. Here is an example of what the boys are going to knock up. DVG Foul Mouth:

picture.php

picture.php

~star~crash~

really impressed ... cool thread ...did you document the last 18 months? ... i have a lot of respect for seed makers & U sound like you're going all out ... i did a seed run last winter , but nowhere near your scale... did U choose your males solely on the basis of the quality of their sisters? , what was your criteria?

thejact55

Very cool. Keeping an eye on this. Wish more threads popped up showcasing the "villian" of the grow room. Males dont get enough love.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
really impressed ... cool thread ...did you document the last 18 months? ... i have a lot of respect for seed makers & U sound like you're going all out ... i did a seed run last winter , but nowhere near your scale... did U choose your males solely on the basis of the quality of their sisters? , what was your criteria?

I documented a decent amount of my early work with Ace sativas, but it became too much of a hassle. This will be the second time that I have made seeds in bulk, but it has been 7 years or so. First was an awesome experience, but that was with a single male (BOG Sour Lifesaver), and this a whole different level of precision.

I would certainly say that I based a decent amount of my selections on female traits, but not always. I have a Thug Pug Cactus Breath male that was the stand out of the liter. The two females were nice, but just ok, as they lacked the tall lanky nature of the 30%+ mother. So, I kept the male and not the females, and it is looking awesome with the crazy desert cactus branching.

Another good example is the DB Watermelon Zum Zum. Every female was very good, but just not quite keeper worthy (lower yielding). However, the terp profile, branching, thin leaves lead me to keep and flower 3 males from this strain. You just know that it is capable of something special, but I am just not sure which one. Two are looking pretty close with one showing quite different traits. The reason males are hard is that you have to grow out the progeny to see the results.

Long story short is that I had no set criteria for the males. Smell, health, vigor, response to topping, root growth all played a part. If I found a SINGLE nanner on a female, clone was immediately killed - no ifs ands or buts. Males were often culled from any strain that was not above average.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Very cool. Keeping an eye on this. Wish more threads popped up showcasing the "villian" of the grow room. Males dont get enough love.

For real. With the Fem craze (of which I have partaken), males are just an afterthought. The mail-in kits to identify males early (so that they can be killed) makes me laugh and cringe at the same time. However, in reality most people just want killer ladies that make awesome flowers, and I certainly don't blame them.

I pride myself in being able to pre-sex reliably, but I will say that Mendo Breath dom, besides taking a very long time to show sex, are just plain mutants. During this whole process, I only had one male make it briefly in the flower room, and that Peanut Butter Breath was a FREAK! The breath stuff is harder to work with, especially if topping, but it is simply the most dense, frostiest, AAA+ smoke around...

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hey Lester! Yep, plan is collect pollen from each strain individually, store in individual paper envelops, properly dry with desiccant and store long term in deep freezer. I will set aside a decent portion of pollen from each strain, and after I am done with males (and cleaned pollen from all areas), I will flower my keeper females and with a paint brush, individually dust labeled branches. Each female will have 10-16 tops (or potential for F2s or crosses).

So, less of an orgy (pollen chuck) and more of a really fucking big IVF program. He he. I know that I will have a bit of pollen drift, but if I can get ~80-90% accuracy than I will be super happy. I really don't mind if a happy accident creeps in.

Solid plan.

Wasn't trying to be negative with the orgy comment. It's just you have a lot of male and female plants, hence orgy. :woohoo: Nice plan to keep everything tight.

You will have enough seed to last a lifetime! Awesome project! Best vibes!

Latest posts

Latest posts