What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hanging plant first led grow

irvas

Hi,

This is my first grow using LED. I just moved my girls from T5 to the LED but they start looking wierd.

First of, the leaves are start to hang and getting swollen. The plants look much more sad then before so im not really sure what it can be.

I am having the light 23 inches from the plant in a oxypot dwc system with 4 airstones.

The light im usin is HLG 550 in a 4x3 tent.
The temp when light is on is maximum 78 F and watertemp 66.

Could anyone please help me to figure out what is making the plants look so sad and leaf getting thick (swollen)

Might need pics to be able to tell whats going on never heard of swollen leaves. Sometimes they get a little fat when overwatered and droop though maybe thats what you mean. Not familiar with that led but at 23" it shouldn't be burning anything I figure. How do the roots look? Any brown slime or anything on em?

irvas

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I don't know how to explain it better then that leaves get thick and also start curling a bit in. I guess it has to be light burn from the led. I had the plants earlier under 75 w T5 so maybe a big change at once, thats why the reaction?

I dim down the light to like 180w now same distance to see if they get better and leaves start looking happier.

could anyone confirm that it is light burn? And also best thing to do? I need to dim the light higher up with time i guess so they get used?

Thanks in advance guys!

irvas

I just realised i made a mistake when uploading the pic's. You should be able to see them now.

Anyone that can confirm bleaching from to much light and also what I could do?

Thanks guys!

That's what it appears to be try putting them back under the t5 for a few weeks and see what the new growth looks like. If it's burn the old growth may still look burned the key is to observe the new growth. What kind of nutes are you using and what's the ppm/ph levels?

irvas

That's what it appears to be try putting them back under the t5 for a few weeks and see what the new growth looks like. If it's burn the old growth may still look burned the key is to observe the new growth. What kind of nutes are you using and what's the ppm/ph levels?

The PPM and PH is the same as under the T5's where they look so so good. PPM 670 ph 5.8-5.9

But my t5's is already busy with other rooted cuttings and it will not fit. I tried to dim down the light to 180w to see how they will react.

But how come the plant's cant take the LED, so wierd. My plan was to flower under the HLG 550 after a little bit more of veg.

I am using GH 3 series.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Were these hand watered once/twice a day before being put in the DWC? Or have they always been DWC?

Over-watered + strong light might account for what you're seeing.

irvas

I started this from seed, and since rooted they have been in a bubbler. So nothing have changed except from the light.

I think i might start out a bit to strang the first day with the light until I realised that something was not right and then dim down the light from 300w -> 250 that is the minimum.

Its the first time I use led so im a bit confused. Usually in this stage i used a 600 MH or 600 HPS if put in blom in that stage.

Im thinking of lifting the light even higher up until I see that they get better, is it a good idea? Like mentioned earlier, now they are 23 inches away from the plant now.

Thank you guys for your help!

I started this from seed, and since rooted they have been in a bubbler. So nothing have changed except from the light.

I think i might start out a bit to strang the first day with the light until I realised that something was not right and then dim down the light from 300w -> 250 that is the minimum.

Its the first time I use led so im a bit confused. Usually in this stage i used a 600 MH or 600 HPS if put in blom in that stage.

Im thinking of lifting the light even higher up until I see that they get better, is it a good idea? Like mentioned earlier, now they are 23 inches away from the plant now.

Thank you guys for your help!

I have limited experience with leds tbh the one time i used them I made a homemade array after checking out blynx's off the shelf led thread. I went WAY too heavy had like 48 screw in leds packed in a 8sq ft area. Burned my plants, swapped the leds with a 400w hps and luckily they flowered out just fine. Haven't tried leds since because I've honestly been too lazy to lol but plan to try again someday. The only sure way to know if the light is the issue is to try a different light source like reintroducing the hps or something. Good luck

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
But how come the plants cant take the LED, so weird. My plan was to flower under the HLG 550 after a little bit more of veg.

I am using GH 3 series.

A T5 spectrum, all the white grow bulbs anyway, have three large spikes of color, high frequency blue, green and high frequency red. These combine to make white to human eyes.
LEDs typically are much richer in low frequency blue, eliminate green almost entirely, and have two or even up to four frequencies of red.

In order to use this new spectrum the leaves need a new mix of antenna arrays to feed the chloroplasts. Large changes require major restructuring, small changes are too temporary to notice.
T5 and LED are pretty far apart, the photon highways feeding green to the inner layers all need dismantled. New direct to chloroplast shortcuts need fabricated for the newly introduced reds and blues.
The greater the change the longer the down time, not to mention how intensity changes affect the respiration.

Time heals all wounds.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
What he said

What he said

They wil be fine, take the extra time to train them into the perfect bush.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What Phaeton said. Give 'em time. They're going through a major change.

Latest posts

Latest posts