What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monsanto does not own General Hydroponics or Botanicare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple_Flail

I don't really care at the end of the day who owns who in the big corporate world.

And to be honest, Neither of them have the end customer as the thing they are looking out for most. That being said tho, the few GH products I use, one is out of uniqueness (atleast at the time) and the other two are out of simplicity.

Been using Rapid Rooters from GH for ages, going on 8-9 years maybe? and their are two products out of the GH/GO line, the Kelp one, and the bio bloom booster. (two of my sativa's don't like the typical boosts, they love this amino acid one tho)

I know there are alternatives to rapid rooters now, i'm just a creature of habit, and am just super comfortable using them.

I'm headed down the organic path, so these two companies(scott's + monsanto) will have very little bearing on what I'm doing. more light exist than just gavita's (plus i won't have the space to manage a DE and some of my gear), so it really doesn't effect me.

Its big corporate, Go small, go organic, go moms an' pops then you don't need to care about all this. If the light works use it, if the feed works use it, If the corporate business rubs you the wrong way find another option.

This fanaticism of conspiracy gets old quick. scotts has owned Gh for what 3 years? the products i've used haven't changed in that time beyond batch to batch variables. I'm sure there are loads of people in that boat.

Last edited:

Cannabologist

Veteran
fyi 'heavy metals' are essential plant nutrients, there's a reason they're added. All healthy soul has 'heavy metals' in it.
I do not want elements like molybdenum or arsenic in my plants and in the products I consume in any amount more than what the plant may need.

GH is lower in heavy metals by orders of magnitude than most other brands. YAY monsanto! For the ... Win... Hmmmm... :thank you::woohoo:

I mean. I don't really care who sells it, if it's clean, works, cost effective, and the best on the market, do you really care?

In fact, if nazis had the cure for cancer, and they were selling it for $19.95, wouldn't you buy the cure for cancer anyway??? Even though??

Course you would! Who cares that they are nazis! Yeah yeah they killed a whole bunch of people. THEY CURED CANCER and are giving it away for $19.95!!!

That whole "raping the planet" thing is in the past, they're curing cancer now, fucking nazis! Ok so they hate Jews. But they're curing Jews of their cancer! It's as we all figured, no one understands fucking nazis and their fucked up motives. And who cares! They cured cancer!!!! Even Hebrew cancers! They don't discriminate against cancer, they only discriminate against your race and or ethnicity. That's not that bad. Especially when you're curing cancer!!!

Ohh. man. Why can't fucking nazis just fucking cure cancer. Then EVERYTHING would be OK :ying:

BillFarthing

Veteran
Hawthorne Gardening Company gobbled up a ton of companies betting on an explosion in the legal cannabis market.

They own:
Botanicare
Gavita
General Hydroponics
Can filters
The hydroponic brands at Lowes and Home Depot
Scotts-Miracle Gro (Which is where the patent sharing for RoundUp is with Monsanto)

They are the borg just like ABI with beer. The cannabis industry is definitely big business now.

different

They own:
Scotts-Miracle Gro (Which is where the patent sharing for RoundUp is with Monsanto)

You have that part backwards.
Hawthorne is a subsidiary of Scotts Miracle Gro. Scotts owns Hawthorne.
Scotts has no "patent sharing" of glyphosate/RoundUp with Monsanto.
Scotts distributes RoundUp for Monsanto.

BillFarthing

Veteran
You have that part backwards.
Hawthorne is a subsidiary of Scotts Miracle Gro. Scotts owns Hawthorne.
Scotts has no "patent sharing" of glyphosate/RoundUp with Monsanto.
Scotts distributes RoundUp for Monsanto.

From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotts_Miracle-Gro_Company

1998 - Scotts entered into a collaboration with the Monsanto Company to apply biotechnology products to the turfgrass and ornamental plants business. Under the agreement, Scotts and Monsanto agreed to share technologies, including Monsanto's extensive genetic library of plant traits and Scotts' proprietary gene gun technology to produce transgenic turfgrasses and ornamental plants.

different

The U.S. Patent for glyphosate expired in 2000. It was never "shared" or owned by Scotts.
Not sure what the link you posted is supposed to mean other than Scotts has a distribution deal with Monsanto.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
The U.S. Patent for glyphosate expired in 2000. It was never "shared" or owned by Scotts.
Not sure what the link you posted is supposed to mean other than Scotts has a distribution deal with Monsanto.

Can you at least ageee we would be better off as a species if there was no such thing as monsanto?

beta

Veteran
Can you at least ageee we would be better off as a species if there was no such thing as monsanto?

If it wasn't Monsanto it'd be someone else. The problem isn't Monsanto, the problem is capitalism.

The 'problems' of Monsanto are problems we have with every multi-national corporation.

different

Humans will be humans, with or without Monsanto.
Although it would be hard to argue against Monsanto's contribution to the advancement of LED technology.
I am also science minded, so I don't host an unsubstantiated fear of genetic engineering.

Cannabologist

Veteran
the problem is capitalism.

The 'problems' of Monsanto are problems we have with every multi-national corporation.
YES! The greatest system ever devised to bring people out of poverty and pestilence and inequity!!! THE one driving force on earth that has made all our lives so easy, so amazing, and so distracted!

God. The blame game is SO fucking nuts. Did I used to do this too?? Yes like 10 years ago I used to do this too.

Its not capitalism's fault.

If I hear some communistic bullshit about "blah blah blah communism" WRONG communism led to the deaths of around 200 MILLION people in 20th century and who knows how many other countless broken and damaged lives that weren't just dead.

Look... Kids.... Jordan Peterson this shit already.

beta

Veteran
YES! The greatest system ever devised to bring people out of poverty and pestilence and inequity!!! THE one driving force on earth that has made all our lives so easy, so amazing, and so distracted!

God. The blame game is SO fucking nuts. Did I used to do this too?? Yes like 10 years ago I used to do this too.

Its not capitalism's fault.

If I hear some communistic bullshit about "blah blah blah communism" WRONG communism led to the deaths of around 200 MILLION people in 20th century and who knows how many other countless broken and damaged lives that weren't just dead.

Look... Kids.... Jordan Peterson this shit already.

Hey guys, I found the Trickle Downer!

Jordan Peterson? That's a riot. Pure, unadulterated word drivel salad. If you find that nonsense compelling, I can see why you're so dead set on propping up this failing economic system.

Jordan Peterson - The Intellectual We Deserve
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

[YOUTUBEIF]_kktI8-lZw8[/YOUTUBEIF]

Cannabologist

Veteran
Did you just put "nonsense" in the same paragraph as "Jordan Peterson"?????????????? :laughing:

YEAaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh You've pretty much just invalidated EVERYTHING you've EVER said on the internet with that lame and childish attack on the ol' lobster.

Wow.... drivel... Salad... You've CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY never listened to ANYTHING that Peterson has ever said.

Clean you're fucking room already jackass (hint: it's a metaphor for Get off your ass, stop pointing the finger at everything else EXCEPT yourself, and get your shit together, because you're shit is fucked!):thank you:

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey guys, I found the Trickle Downer!

Jordan Peterson? That's a riot. Pure, unadulterated word drivel salad. If you find that nonsense compelling, I can see why you're so dead set on propping up this failing economic system.

Jordan Peterson - The Intellectual We Deserve
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

[YOUTUBEIF]_kktI8-lZw8[/YOUTUBEIF]

wow dissing my man Jordan Peterson, really? did you actually ever listen to anything of his lectures or presentations?

Gry

The government of Vietnam says that 4 million of its citizens were exposed to Agent Orange, and as many as 3 million have suffered illnesses because of it; these figures include their children who were exposed.[3] The Red Cross of Vietnam estimates that up to 1 million people are disabled or have health problems due to contaminated Agent Orange.
Several publications published by the Public Health Service have shown that veterans have increased rates of cancer, and nerve, digestive, skin, and respiratory disorders. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention notes that in particular, there are higher rates of acute/chronic leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, throat cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, Ischemic heart disease, soft tissue sarcoma and liver cancer.[52][53] With the exception of liver cancer, these are the same conditions the U.S. Veterans Administration has determined may be associated with exposure to Agent Orange/dioxin, and are on the list of conditions eligible for compensation and treatment.[54][53]
Military personnel who were involved in storage, mixture and transportation (including aircraft mechanics), and actual use of the chemicals were probably among those who received the heaviest exposures.[55] Military members who served on Okinawa also claim to have been exposed to the chemical but there is no verifiable evidence to corroborate these claims.[56]
More recent research established that veterans exposed to Agent Orange suffer more than twice the rate of highly aggressive prostate cancer.[57] Additionally, recent reports from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences show that Agent Orange exposure also doubles the risk of invasive skin cancers.[58]
While in Vietnam, the veterans were told not to worry, and were persuaded the chemical was harmless.[59] After returning home, Vietnam veterans began to suspect their ill health or the instances of their wives having miscarriages or children born with birth defects might be related to Agent Orange and the other toxic herbicides to which they had been exposed in Vietnam. Veterans began to file claims in 1977 to the Department of Veterans Affairs for disability payments for health care for conditions they believed were associated with exposure to Agent Orange, or more specifically, dioxin, but their claims were denied unless they could prove the condition began when they were in the service or within one year of their discharge.[60] In order to qualify for compensation, veterans must have served on or near the perimeters of military bases in Thailand during the Vietnam Era, where herbicides were tested and stored outside of Vietnam, Veterans who were crew members on C-123 planes flown after the Vietnam War, or were associated with Department of Defense (DoD) projects to test, dispose of, or store herbicides in the U.S.[61]
By April 1993, the Department of Veterans Affairs had compensated only 486 victims, although it had received disability claims from 39,419 soldiers who had been exposed to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam.[62]

You sound much more like a corporate representative than someone with an unbiased opinion.

Gry

Sorry if it escaped your notice, but there actually were three corporations in the title of this thread... and believe it or not, Monsanto actually was one of them.

As I look back over the thread, I can't help but feel like I am speaking to a self appointed isle 9 clean up guy for big corporate.

different

Sorry if it escaped your notice, but there actually were three corporations in the title of this thread... and believe it or not, Monsanto actually was one of them.
Gosh I did create this thread, ya know?
As I look back over the thread, I can't help but feel like I am speaking to a self appointed isle 9 clean up guy for big corporate.
What clean up? I just pointed out that idiots were boycotting nutrient companies based on false information.
Followed by various facts.
What did I say that you disagree with?
Don’t let your “feelings” override logic.

G

Gr33nSanta

I have watched countless hours of Jordan Peterson's university lectures (which he puts out for free on youtube) as well as many interviews. Listening to Jordan is a great thing to do while manicuring my flowers, I do not care what anyone says, I love Jordan, what a great guy, some of the lectures have given me great insights to help me better my life.

Also worth noting that the link you sent from someone bashing Jordan is someone trying to dish Peterson while trying to sell a book that is supposedly great if you like the work of Jordan? kind of paradoxal.

Status
Not open for further replies.