What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Hydroponics announces sale to Hawthorne Group / Scotts Fertilizer

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Sure GMOs should be labelled (along with lot of other stuff too). Fortunately for Europeans, they often are, especially when it comes to consumables. More often, shops don't sell GMO at all.
I know it won't calm anyone down but most genetic modifications are inherently non-dangerous as the 'new' genes are just derived from other (edible) plants/organisms. I share your concern regarding genes from marine organisms which were never part of human diet (such as glowing or fluorescent pets carrying proteins from jellyfish) or modified plants producing pesticides.

But I still wonder what all this GMO stuff has to do with Hawthorne/Scott's... do you think they're going to put GMO into the product line (if not already in it)?

Granger2

Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong. They sold to a company that is owned by..., that is owned by..., that is owned by Scott's, that is owned by Monsanto. -granger

Only Ornamental

Veteran
You could have said that before!
On the other hand, it doesn't mean that the quality goes down. The only thing for certain is that your money flows into different pockets, pockets already holding some of your money.
That's unfortunately the way our current economy rules, the big ones get ever bigger, the rich ones ever richer, and the States dictate the rest of the world how to do it.
Next time, you might reconsider for what or whom you vote. Ah, that's right, you can't really vote... sorry bro that you live in the 'worlds best democracy' ;( !

Granger2

Veteran
I'm not worried about quality of product. I don't want my money going to, ultimately, Monsanto. And, BTW, the US is far from the World's Best Democracy. Just look at the money in our politics. No other nation allows the wholesale selling/buying of influence like we do. -granger

DrFever

Veteran
Can feminized seeds be classified as GMO ???? lol
or even a terminator gene like diablos kush etc

HiFiGanja

Can feminized seeds be classified as GMO ???? lol
or even a terminator gene like diablos kush etc

I was going to post this a few hours ago. There's nothing wrong with "GMO". Humans have been making GMO plants for centuries. What cannabis strain isn't GMO these days since breeders are churning out hybrid strains all the time.

Only time GMO should be an issue is when genes are introduced to make the plant poisonous and herbicide/pesticide resistant since we have to way to test long term effects on humans and the environment.

DrFever

Veteran
Owe but there is cause MONSATO is GMO and everybody hates them for trying to feed the world lol ,,,
What about making a mj plant un able to produce seeds or plants unable to pollenate or being able to take clones ,,,, its pretty much happening already isn't it ???? Same thing this insures that the grower cannot infringe copy or cross the genetic make up hell good way to make sure know one crosses strains someone else made and most importantly get rid of 70 percent of the breeders flooding the market with shit
the day that there are shares i will make sure to buy as much as i can cause its the future of MJ presently its free rain but after corporations get involved in few years
where ever money is to be made corruption will follow

br26

The diversity of investments of the richest companies is vast. Problems can occur when there are conflicts of interest or they are too influential upon the economic and political system. Vanguard Co. , great company, nothing wrong and not slandering, owns a huge portion of stock in Monsanto and Whole foods. Long story short, you shop at a store , you could possibly promote the non-labeling of GMO campaigns in the states of Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and others.

Maybe this will make GH cheaper....

DrFever

Veteran
My argument for why cannabis is the most genetically modified organism is a little more complex. A person cannot grow a cow from a seed, and the transportation of that large bovine is both cumbersome and expensive. A hemp seed is remarkably small. The front two pockets on my blue jeans could hold a few hundred seeds. That is a lot of genetic variety for two pockets. Now factor in cannabis consumers around the world and their need to travel as humanity expands. Now we have a huge migration of cannabis seeds. A poor Chinese railroad worker immigrates to the United States and with him he brings a pocketful of hemp seeds. A few hundred years later, a migrant worker from Texas brings some marijuana up to Michigan for the summer fruit season. These are two separate examples of mass transportation. Those Chinese seeds wouldn’t have floated across the Pacific to root on some Californian beach. Those Mexican seeds wouldn’t have blown in the wind from Texas to Michigan. People brought them for their own reasons. Maybe it was to bring the fibrous hemp plant to the new country with hopes of one day opening a garment shop. Maybe it was to bring some medicine for pain from manual labor. Regardless of why the seeds were brought, they travelled with humans. This is why cannabis is the most genetically modified plant.

Companies like Dutchman pride themselves on their ability to describe their cannabis and its genetics. They also pride themselves on scouring the globe for “only the best strains”. These people go to Jamaica for the best ‘sensimilla’ to Mexico in search of a “true Acapulco gold” to Thailand in search of the best “Thai skunk”. What does this give them? What does this leave them with?

The cannabis varieties we know and love today. Some of the best strains that you will ever smoke are “pure indica” or “pure sativa”. These are plants, which have been bread to retain their singular effects. The magical and interesting strains are the “hybrids”. These are the strains that master growers have put there long hours and hearts into. These are strains that have been bread by people for their specific traits. Cannabis is a genetically modified organism, and it has a symbiotic relationship with the people that grow it.

The next time you see a “Reality TV Show” where police officers are using helicopters to spot bright patches of “illegally” growing bud in some national forest, remember that a person put those there. A person hiked out into the middle of nowhere with a case full of cheap Ramen noodles and a dream. That dream was to maintain this symbiotic relationship with the plant, and to continue to genetically modify it for our enjoyment.

Granger2

Veteran
Dr. Fever,
You're trying to re-define an established term. Come up with a different one instead. We get what you're saying, but you're trying to use a term incorrectly. -granger

DrFever

Veteran
ok GMOs, or “genetically modified organisms,” are plants or animals created through the gene splicing techniques of biotechnology (also called genetic engineering, or GE). This experimental technology merges DNA from different species, creating unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding.

Ranger

ok GMOs, or “genetically modified organisms,” are plants or animals created through the gene splicing techniques of biotechnology (also called genetic engineering, or GE). This experimental technology merges DNA from different species, creating unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding.

Thanks for clarifying Doc, as I was begining to get nauseous at the lack of GMO education in this thread.

GMO= Genetically Modified Organism

Cannabis currently= Hybridized at most

Hybridized = Inner plant breeding and not genetics from other organisms

Are we good now class?

Oh and we are all the guinea pigs of genetic modification, we are the test subjects.

I know a few folks who have done some research with Monsanto, and GE is the preferred term for modern techniques of gene manipulation.

GMO, although notably has come to mean GE for the public, technically refers to both GE and conventional breeding. Who can argue that domesticated crops are not 'genetically modified' by humans through conventional breeding? Clearly, they are.

Beyond that, I saw fair trade mentioned above... Fair trade worsens product quality, and has not been demonstrated to alleviate poverty, and those in the know regard it as a scam to enrich regulators (the extra $$$ you pay for fair trade goes only in the 'fair trade' certifier's pocket, not to the farmers)

It should be obvious: if you pay farmers a certain base price to produce any amount of a crop without regard to quality, it will accomplish a couple of things: drive down the price due the fact that farmers will produce arbitrarily excess amounts, and encourage the farmer to disregard quality. Here is a study supporting the above:

https://www.soas.ac.uk/development/projects/fteprr/

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
LoL!
I have no idea what fair trade companies you have and yes, there are some who are doing it wrong but I know people who are doing it right, meaning that NONE of your mentioned issues arise because there are people on place working with the farmers together, educating and supporting them. It's the same like giving poor countries money to help the poor and hungry... took us a few years (decades) to learn where the money goes and how to do it right. There's always a part which is skimmed off but that's world economy, the question is just how much. Do you think buying at your local shop will allow the shop owner to keep all this money? Taxes, licences, lobbying, insurances, etc. is what it's called but honestly, this is just the rich man's version of corruption.

BTW GE? General Electrics? Genetic Engineering?
Cause GMO is not conventional breeding and does not even include biotechnologically modified organisms in the stricter sense such as most of our high-performance crops. Biotech on the other hand can include gene technology. The difference is that biotechnology in this case refers to techniques mimicking strategies or results theoretically possible without human interference whilst gene technology is a purely artificial result (sometimes even if the techniques used are the same). It sounds strange but that's the line we draw.

Maybe now the old nor cal growers will switch to gh from miracle grow. Fuck GH and Scott's and miracle grow. Gh claims to have never needed MMj growers for their business to thrive.