What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic source of silica?

I understand that diatomaceous earth contains silica as well as sand and quartz however each of these seem like they would release very slowly.

What is the recommended amendment for adding silica? I would like to boost the silica content for my mother plants.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I understand that diatomaceous earth contains silica as well as sand and quartz however each of these seem like they would release very slowly.

What is the recommended amendment for adding silica? I would like to boost the silica content for my mother plants.
Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt is a very good source of liquid silica.

Probably the best available.

YMMV

CC

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Clackamas Coot my store has silica blast and Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt at the same price, about $12usd/qt. and $30/gal? What I can't find is the difference.

Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt =
DYNA-GRO'S unique Pro-TeKt® formula is an easy to use liquid concentrate that provides
supplemental potassium (3.7%) and silicon (7.8%)

silica blast =
use 1 teaspoon per gallon (achieves 105 ppm silicate)

and from dyna-gro's slic :

In growth tests at the University of Florida dry weight in Dendrobium nobile, Aeschmea fasciata,
Spathiphyllum and Anthurium scherzerianum provided 49 ppm soluble silicon increased from 18% to
80% over the dry weight of control plants grown without supplemental silicon. 32 of the 39 species
evaluated in this test took up additional silicon when it was provided. Those plants are considered
Si-responsive and had greater leaf thickness as well as greater dry weight.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
3dDream

Simple - look at the labels a bit closer, i.e. the level of actual vs. inert ingredients in both products and the rate of use.

Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. per gallon. Then check the rate for Silica Blast AND the actual amount of both soluble potassium as well as silicon.

HTH

CC

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Ok, found it...

botanicare: "2% Silicates Derived From Sodium silicate and potassium silicate"

dyna-gro: "provides supplemental potassium (3.7%) and silicon (7.8%) "

This assumes the numbers on the bottle are accurate. I've heard/read that most manufactures fudge numbers to protect the formulas, but I think it's safe to say dyna-gro is the better buy.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
There you go!

BTW - the 'silicon' source in Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt is potassium sillicate if you're interested, i.e. same deal.

CC

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/msds/RareEarth.pdf

Ingredients: Rare Earth TM is a mixture of 50% pyrophylitic silicate clay and 18% humic acids
derived from leonardite.

RARE EARTH™
Dry Premium Blend Organic Minerals & Humates

Rare Earth is derived from ancient seabed deposits of pyrophylitic clay that are blended with fulvate ore. By slowly releasing silicon, humates, and organic rare earth minerals, Rare Earth allows a crystal matrix to develop within growing plant tissue that protects the plant from heat stress and nutrient extremes by generating a protective silicon shield. This also deters fungal disease and reduces susceptibility to insect damage by "hardening" the plant. Use Rare Earth by blending it with rooting media, and either top-dressing around the plant stem or adding it directly to nutrient solutions.

General Hydroponics Rare Earth 4lb
Price:$19.99
http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydro...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1271225833&sr=1-1

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
This assumes the numbers on the bottle are accurate. I've heard/read that most manufactures fudge numbers to protect the formulas, but I think it's safe to say dyna-gro is the better buy.
3dDream

That's what the 'stoner nutrient' companies want you to believe. That ain't the 'real deal'

Companies which want to bring a product to market (depending on the state) are required to provide the federal/state regulatory agencies with an ACCURATE ANALYSIS of the product being submitted for review.

The bull-sh*t about 'formulas' is just 'Stoner Joe' drivel. It's beyond stupid. They spout that crap to protect themselves because their products are crap and over-priced as you're learning.

California, Oregon and Washington provide databases where YOU, the consumer, can look up products and see what's up and what is not up. For the indoor garden ass-clowns it ain't pretty - not by a long shot.

The WORST offender is the crap from 'Humboldt County's Own' line of gibberish - they actually have 2 different products with different pricing for the EXACT same ingredients. The claim about 'proprietary formula' is pure crap. It ain't how the 'real world' of agriculture/horticulture works - in spite of 'Video Mike' up at Advanced Nutrients. Laughable at best.

This idiot couldn't even pass a high-school chemistry class if his 'information' is any indication on his knowledge/skill level.

YMMV

CC

NUG-JUG

The bull-sh*t about 'formulas' is just 'Stoner Joe' drivel. It's beyond stupid. They spout that crap to protect themselves because their products are crap and over-priced as you're learning.

California, Oregon and Washington provide databases where YOU, the consumer, can look up products and see what's up and what is not up. For the indoor garden ass-clowns it ain't pretty - not by a long shot.

The WORST offender is the crap from 'Humboldt County's Own' line of gibberish - they actually have 2 different products with different pricing for the EXACT same ingredients. The claim about 'proprietary formula' is pure crap. It ain't how the 'real world' of agriculture/horticulture works - in spite of 'Video Mike' up at Advanced Nutrients. Laughable at best.

This idiot couldn't even pass a high-school chemistry class if his 'information' is any indication on his knowledge/skill level.

YMMV

CC

LOL!!:tiphat: How about that shill Remo eh? I'll show you how to get 2+ pounds per light with Bud Factor X....

Pyrophyllite clay is mostly silica and approximately 50% of that is amorphic and that's the form you want from a natural source like this. Get the granular as it's slow release and a lot less expensive than the powder. This clay contains other goodies such as Rare Earth Elements. 50 lbs for $25. Buy from the source!

http://www.vitalityherbsandclay.com/silica-rich-pyro-clay-soil-amendment/view-all-products.html

http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/msds/RareEarth.pdf

Ingredients: Rare Earth TM is a mixture of 50% pyrophylitic silicate clay and 18% humic acids
derived from leonardite.

RARE EARTH™
Dry Premium Blend Organic Minerals & Humates

Rare Earth is derived from ancient seabed deposits of pyrophylitic clay that are blended with fulvate ore. By slowly releasing silicon, humates, and organic rare earth minerals, Rare Earth allows a crystal matrix to develop within growing plant tissue that protects the plant from heat stress and nutrient extremes by generating a protective silicon shield. This also deters fungal disease and reduces susceptibility to insect damage by "hardening" the plant. Use Rare Earth by blending it with rooting media, and either top-dressing around the plant stem or adding it directly to nutrient solutions.

General Hydroponics Rare Earth 4lb
Price:$19.99
http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydro...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1271225833&sr=1-1

Beautiful, that is what I was looking for. Thanks fellas

Y

Yankee Grower

That General Hydro stuff is overpriced for what you get IMO. Ridiculously overpriced. Get some pyrophyllite clay, either granules or powder from the source I mentioned, and buy either a humic extract from BioAg (not their Full Power product but they have a powder made by a different process) or a whole humic product from someone like Mesa Verde Resources cause that has the humin fraction which is also beneficial cause it'll help build soil better when you are recycling and outdoors. The whole product is also much less expensive cause only cost added is the micronizing. Save a ton of money!

I got a line on a better humic product than Mesa Verde's Micromate but need to look into it further before spouting off.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
That General Hydro stuff is overpriced for what you get IMO. Ridiculously overpriced. Get
I got a line on a better humic product than Mesa Verde's Micromate but need to look into it further before spouting off.
keep us up dated, thanks a million bro

if you go to a ceramics supply you can get either straight up silica or pyrophyllite for pretty darn cheap and you can add them like dry amendments when you mix your soil. one # should be well under $5 (typically a 50# bag of silica is like $15). Diatomaceous Earth is also really cheap, is a source of silica, and is a good thing for pest control too.

Latest posts

Latest posts